• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth Ceralin 8 x 49 Alpin fake/genuine? (1 Viewer)

s_legacy

Hello,

I have inherited my Grandfathers collection of binoculars, all of them being good, quality binoculars.

However, someone has claimed to me that one pair is fake. The binoculars in question are Optolyth Ceralin 8 x 40 Alpin.

What should I look for to confirm that they are genuine?
Is there anywhere I can take them to authenticate them?

Many thanks

Hello,

I have inherited my Grandfathers collection of binoculars, all of them being good, quality binoculars.

However, someone has claimed to me that one pair is fake. The binoculars in question are Optolyth Ceralin 8 x 40 Alpin.

What should I look for to confirm that they are genuine?
Is there anywhere I can take them to authenticate them?

Many thanks

Lucky you :t: I hope the binoculars in question are genuine - they are an absolute classic birding binocular!

I'm sure the technical folk on here will come on here and help soon but meanwhile, maybe a photo would help?

Best wishes and welcome to BF!

PS: Just noticed that this is in the "others" forum - hope the mods can put it in the Binoculars secton.

Last edited:
Hi,

Can you post some photos? or describe the binocular and why do they think it is fake ? what things exactly lead them to think it is fake?

Best wishes.

s_legacy, post 1,
Optolyth does not have an 8x49 in its programme, it did however produce the Optolyth Alpin 8x40, a porro-glass with the following specifications:
Weight 470 g, FOV 115m/1000m, number of lenses=10, dimensions 150x160 mm, hardrubber body cover, foldable rubber eyecups. Ceralin is the name of the coating Optolyth has used for its binoculars/telescopes.
As you may notice the Alpins are very light and their handling comfort is excellent.
I have investigated some of the Optopyth models and these tests can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor in The Netherlands.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello,
Thank you for your replies.

Yes, they are 8 x 40 not 8 x 49. That was a typo.

I didn't have a long enough conversation to find out the reason why this person claimed that they are fake. Because they have been in storage for a few years since my grandfather died I serviced the movements. However, I put a very light grease on the threads so it feels very light. Lighter than you might expect so maybe this is what he was thinking?

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 285
  • $_1 (1).JPG
    $_1 (1).JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 184
  • $_1 (2).JPG
    $_1 (2).JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 218
  • $_1 (6).JPG
    $_1 (6).JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 274
It seems genuine to me.

In rather better condition than most Alpins.

It is Zeiss and Leitz that seem to have many fakes.

I was the proud owner of a pair of Optolyth Alpin 12x50 until recently when a good friend "borrowed" them as they seemed to suit his "funny" eyes. They were a brilliant binocular in their time,mine were about 30 yrs old, and served me well when out on the moors and carrying a scope/tripod set up did not look like a good option. Get out and use yours they will be pleasing to use.

Pete.
I think the 12x50 Alpin suited his funny eyes because they are actually 12x42 and have weird exit pupils.
The small exit pupils stopped down his eyes reducing aberrations.
Holger Merlitz has a review I think.

I have one that needs cleaning internally, but I never got this done.

s_legacy, post 5,
The binoculars shown in your post are from a genuine Optolyth Alpin 8x40, no doubt about it.
Gijs van Ginkel

Here is your answer, yes, all looks fine to me. Used versions of that model often seems to have paint loss from the metal for some reason, but you have a good one.

Good luck

Pete.
I think the 12x50 Alpin suited his funny eyes because they are actually 12x42 and have weird exit pupils.

They do seem to be 50mm objectives when comparing them to my Helios 42mm but whatever they gave me great service

Hi Pete.
They are vignetted internally mainly by small prisms, which contributes to the low weight.
See Holger Merlitz test.

If you measure the exit pupil you will see the smaller than expected size.
50 divided by 12 is almost 4.2mm exit pupil, but you will see that it is smaller and an irregular shape.

However, this is all to the good.

I think that this is why your friend likes the binocular.

Many owners of the 12x50 Alpins absolutely love them.

Many 50mm binoculars work at much less than 50mm. Some as small as 39mm.
Measuring the objective size does not show the working aperture.

My selected Russian 12x45 is excellent due to the rather small exit pupil.

Last edited:
Optolyth Alpin cleaning.

Pete.

Oh, why not? A lovely binocular and well worth the cost of cleaning.
Here I have to admit that I do that for a living so I will be happy to help.

Hi,

I haven't seen anything not fitting an older pair of Alpin 8x40 in the images (which should have shown the prism housings from the EP side - inscriptions and screw positions on there are often crucial) and I'm not aware of Optolyth fakes.

If I was trying to fake an old pair of bins, I would at least try to make it a later example with Ceralin Plus multicoatings - or fake a different and sought after model...

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi Pete.
They are vignetted internally mainly by small prisms, which contributes to the low weight.
See Holger Merlitz test.

If you measure the exit pupil you will see the smaller than expected size.
50 divided by 12 is almost 4.2mm exit pupil, but you will see that it is smaller and an irregular shape.

However, this is all to the good.

I think that this is why your friend likes the binocular.

Many owners of the 12x50 Alpins absolutely love them.

Many 50mm binoculars work at much less than 50mm. Some as small as 39mm.
Measuring the objective size does not show the working aperture.

My selected Russian 12x45 is excellent due to the rather small exit pupil.
Thanks for that info,there is always so much to learn about the working of optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back