• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Hi all

I'll be over between 15th - 23rd March and, with a little luck and a few baby-sitting favours, will be able to make my usual trip over to Norfolk. If anyone can supply info on any of the following, I'd be most grateful...

WAXWINGS - any close to or between Hunstanton - Titchwell - Holkham - Salthouse?
FULMAR - Hunstanton?
GREATER SNOW GOOSE - still at Tornham Staithe?
PINK-FOOTED and BRENT GEESE - still about I assume
BARNACLE GEESE - any recent sightings?
TWITE - Thornham Staithe, Titchwell?
WOODCOCK - are those confiding pair I photographed at Titchwell on Christmas Eve still there I wonder?
MEALY REDPOLL - must have gone by now from Titchwell I suppose?
VELVET SCOTER - any recent sightings (noted Titchwell on 11th above)
SHORE LARK - I'll check Holkham as usual, of course
LAPLAND BUNTING - any about?
SNOW BUNTING - Salthouse car park still? Noted above, thanks.
GREATER SCAUP - still at Wells boating lake?

and anything else notable recently? Swans, Smew..?

Much appreciated and, if required, reciprocated if you're ever in my part of Spain!

By the way, if anyone's wants to look at some pics of a pair of Little Crake we've had with us this month, check out my blog here:

www.surfbirds.com/blog/spainbirding/

All the best

Black Guillemot

tagged onto a glaucous gull pager message off sheringham ? Anyone know anything about this ?

Apparently not, Phil V left the shelter @ c10 so narrowly missed it but doesnt know who may have seen it. Small movement of Ducks east this morning, main component being Eider with 53 east & 10 "on" (mostly drakes). Glauc showing well once again.

Attachments

• DSC07951.JPG
    DSC07951.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 42
Sheringham Shelter Glaucous Gull

"the shelter"... Glauc showing well once again.

Sorry for being a thick non-local but I rarely get that far east, i.e. Sheringham.

is this "shelter" and therefore the Glaucous Gull easy to locate? If not, any help would be appreciated.

All the best

Waxwings in the sun

glaucous gull down to fifteen feet, snow buntings down to 5 feet, bittern in the open at Holkham, 2 barn owls mid-afternoon, over 60 white-fronts... on the thermals over holkham, and to top it all the waxwings in the sun in norwich. Now waiting for the first migrants to arrive....

Hi Ross

I'll bring you over some migrants (how about a Little Crake?) if you can tell me where the Waxwing are in Norwich as I'll be visiting my sister there. And I may even coax some more of that sun over too...

I assume the Glaucous Gull is the Sheringham one mentioned below, so there's Snow Bunting there too? Still any White-fronts about?

All the best

Hi all

I'll be over between 15th - 23rd March and, with a little luck and a few baby-sitting favours, will be able to make my usual trip over to Norfolk. If anyone can supply info on any of the following, I'd be most grateful...

WAXWINGS - any close to or between Hunstanton - Titchwell - Holkham - Salthouse?
FULMAR - Hunstanton?
GREATER SNOW GOOSE - still at Tornham Staithe?
PINK-FOOTED and BRENT GEESE - still about I assume
BARNACLE GEESE - any recent sightings?
TWITE - Thornham Staithe, Titchwell? Still 30-50 feeding on the brackish marsh although they are mobile and sometimes hard to catch up with
WOODCOCK - are those confiding pair I photographed at Titchwell on Christmas Eve still there I wonder? At least 1 bird showing well most days and up to 4 leaving the willow scrub at dusk.
MEALY REDPOLL - must have gone by now from Titchwell I suppose? Was still around last weekend but has been pretty elusive recently
VELVET SCOTER - any recent sightings (noted Titchwell on 11th above) 1 with scoter flock yesterday
SHORE LARK - I'll check Holkham as usual, of course 2 birds still at Snettisham. Usually on beach south of the chalets
LAPLAND BUNTING - any about?
SNOW BUNTING - Salthouse car park still? Noted above, thanks.
GREATER SCAUP - still at Wells boating lake?

and anything else notable recently? Swans, Smew..?

Much appreciated and, if required, reciprocated if you're ever in my part of Spain!

By the way, if anyone's wants to look at some pics of a pair of Little Crake we've had with us this month, check out my blog here:

www.surfbirds.com/blog/spainbirding/

All the best

Hi Stephen

Recent info on some of the species you are after is in red above.

Have a good trip

Paul

Sorry for being a thick non-local but I rarely get that far east, i.e. Sheringham.

is this "shelter" and therefore the Glaucous Gull easy to locate? If not, any help would be appreciated.

All the best

Its favours the west end of the seafront accessed from The Esplande. On the west side of Sheringham take Church Street north off A149, then take first left into The Boulevard and then straight on at the roundabout to The Esplande. Walk through the obvious archway between the toilets to view.

Best regards

Robin Chittenden

Hi Stephen,
Can`t do the clever link to a map so please bear with me. From Sheringham seafront head west looking for the bird immediately, it favours the beach & groynes where there has been some recent sea defence work. "The shelter" is a little further on from there, just below an archway that leads back up to the road. Fulmars are regular just off shore at the moment & the S.Buntings (c35) were still present at Salthouse yesterday p.m. The G.Scaup were still at Wells earlier in the week but not sure about now. If there`s birders in the shelter come & say hello.
See above post for better directions (always was a slow typer)

Titchwell March 12th

Today's highlights

Wild swan sp - 53 probable whooper swans west @ 13:30
Glaucous gull - juvenile reported on fresh marsh @ 13:00 but no other details. Reported in sightings book but as usual not passed onto any of the staff or volunteers. I only found out about the record an hour later.
Red crested pochard - pair on grazing marsh pool
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Woodcock - 1 in scrub near visitor centre
Spotted redshank - 3 around reserve
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

I am on leave so updates from the reserve will be limited. May bump into some of you in the field next week, hopefully the weather will co-operate.

Paul

21 Dunlin, 3 Black-Tailed Godwit, 1-2 Oystercatcher, 24+ Snipe, 40+ Redshank and 11 Shelduck at Denver Sluice in an hour this evening. It was raining and the light was poor, but I thoroughly enjoyed it because it was my local patch! :t:

Full report on my site: www.freewebs.com/simsdiary

Last edited:
I saw a pair of Hawfinches kissing at lynford today, very interesting behaviour.
I'm thinking maybe the weather is the issue with the LSW in the brecks this year.
I've heard very minimal drumming and only one bird calling once in 4-5 attempts, does anyone else have an opinion ?

Billing & coo(cothrust)ing- and feline relatives ?

Stuart:

That must have been a sight, bearing in mind the size of their bills. They'd have to be careful they didn't do each other some damage.

Was there any evidence of grooming behaviour, too ? Did you hear if they were making any noises ? (No! don't be silly.)

As for LSWs: I've almost given up around here. I was unlucky last year, despite half a dozen trips to Felbrigg and Holkham, where they were seen by others (Felbrigg, still?).

The weather on Thursday, however, should have been perfect for their drumming- sunny, still, warmish. Where were you then ?

In the absence of significant bird news, a pic of our burgeoning spring from Gramboro' yesterday. I staggered weakly around, having suffered a colossal migraine on Thursday, which completely incapacitated me. I also made more half-hearted forays in the quest for albas.

Attachments

• 002pse.jpg
    002pse.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 80
ahhh dawwn chhhooorussss .... ke ke ke ke ke ke kewkew kewkew free freeyee kew kew kew... kow kow woo woo ... wo woo woo wo kewew ew flappyu wapppy kew kew kewcewcewcew.... went in tha dirrecccttttiiioooonn
eeeewkbbbooottttllreeevoodddkkrrra ke ke ke chi hew chreweowow quack quack ke we kewww chew ... bluuuesbiiirdszzz

Last edited:
Nothing as exciting as Josh's all nighter for me unfortunately!

I did manage a nice day in the sunshine on the north coast:

Titchwell: 6+ Velvet scoter and 2 water pipits

Salthouse Heath: Strangest find was a dead adult kittiwake under a pine tree!? Looked fairly fresh and didn't appear to have much wrong with it (apart from the dead bit that is!) - Also 3 Red? Deer

Felbrigg: Couldn't see where Lion's mouth car park is. Is it away from the main NT car park? .. so didn't see any Firecrests. 2 male Mandarin Ducks sat in trees at the lake was a year tick.

Still too early for migrants... Nearly April though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back