• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boquete or Volcan (1 Viewer)

ehrodz

Some friends and I have scheduled a trip for early July which includes The Central Panama area, El Valle de Anton and the Western highlands. We know where we want to stay in the first two places but we can't decide whether to stay in Boquete or Volcan during the three day period we have schduled for the Western highlands. We will have a rental car. Which is the better place considering both birding and logistics. Thanks.

There are several reports on Panama in our trip report forum http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=7204991. My report http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=106934&highlight=Panama should show what I was able to see on the two sides of the mountain, however, given the difference in time of the year, I am not sure this will be a good indication of what you would find.

Cheers
Niels

Thanks for your reply Niels. I am familiar with the reports you mentioned. In fact, I made a copy of your excellent report and have been studying it closely.

I understand that because of the difference in the time of each of our trips the birds might be different in the two places. But from what you know of both places if you could only visit one of them, which would you likely choose? If you can't say, do you know which of the two places would be more likely to offer us the Resplendant Quetzal for viewing? Thanks.

At the time I visited, the quetzal was on the Volcan side, however, the guide at Finca Lerida claimed that I visited them at the most difficult time to find the bird, and that summer would be much easier. Just a less rainy and windy period would have been much better ;)

Based on the excellent birds we did see in the volcan area, that might have a small preference in my mind; however, there were other birds we would have missed. If you are going to try for Timberline Wren, Volcano Junco, and probably Sooty Thrush, then you probably do need to do the Volcan Baru Summit road (which probably will take hiring a guide with special vehicle unless you want to walk up something like 13.5 km and 1600 m elevation change); that expedition starts from the Boquete side. I remember reading a report saying that the Quetsals were easy up there in late spring.

So I am sorry, I really don't want to make that decision for you ;)

Niels

Hi, I visited Panama in August last year and visited the Western Highlands. I stayed at Los Quetzales Lodge, on the Boquette side. Walking the trails over a few days I managed 3 female Quetzals as well as loads of great birds on these trails including Zeledonia, Three Wattled Bellbird, Golden Browed Chlorophonia etc.

At the time I visited, the quetzal was on the Volcan side, however, the guide at Finca Lerida claimed that I visited them at the most difficult time to find the bird, and that summer would be much easier. Just a less rainy and windy period would have been much better ;)

Based on the excellent birds we did see in the volcan area, that might have a small preference in my mind; however, there were other birds we would have missed. If you are going to try for Timberline Wren, Volcano Junco, and probably Sooty Thrush, then you probably do need to do the Volcan Baru Summit road (which probably will take hiring a guide with special vehicle unless you want to walk up something like 13.5 km and 1600 m elevation change); that expedition starts from the Boquete side. I remember reading a report saying that the Quetsals were easy up there in late spring.

So I am sorry, I really don't want to make that decision for you ;)

Niels

Thank you for not wanting to make the decision for me, Niels. At least now I have someone to blame if I don't get my target birds.(lol) Actually, I have a birder friend who lives in Bocas del Toro, the nearby province, who has also been noncommital about which of the two places is the better choice. And both of you are in good company because Angehr(A Bird Finding Guide to Panama) notes that "Boquete, along with Volcan...is one of the best places to find many of the specialties of the western highlands." So I guess that leaves me where I started, leaning strongly both ways. I think i'll just flip a coin.

In any case, thanks for your thoughtful replies. They did give me a lot to think about. And I think that I know both places a bit more than I would otherwise.

I visited both places in Feb 2009. Boquete had excellent birding at Finca Lerida where I saw 3 quetzals. Boquete is very touristy, Volcan is dead, just a regular town. I stayed up the road at Cerro Punta at the Hotel Cerro Punta, no need to splash out a load of money for the other place. Plenty of good birds close by either in walking distance or a short drive to the Nat Park.

As for which area to visit - do both, they are close together.

Enjoy your visit.

Regards

Adrian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back