• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rucksack? (1 Viewer)

bren-escape

Just bought a canon 400mm f5.6 and want to carry it attached to my 40D. Also a tripod/monopod and a few other lenses. Wondered what others use or recommend?

Thanks

Bren

You may laugh but recommend trading in all that gear for a Canon Sx200is camera. It has a 12x zoom which is excellent, full manual controls and its pocketable. It traded all my 40D gear in recently for this model and believe me it's a lot easier to cart around than all the other stuff!

You may laugh but recommend trading in all that gear for a Canon Sx200is camera. It has a 12x zoom which is excellent, full manual controls and its pocketable. It traded all my 40D gear in recently for this model and believe me it's a lot easier to cart around than all the other stuff!

That wasn't the OP's question. Not everyone wants a point and shoot.

Hi Bren, I use a Lowepro Mini-trekker. I can fit my 40D with 400mm f5.6 attached, my 70-200mm zoom, a wide angle lens and my 20D spare body plus other bits and pieces such as notebook, pens, batteries, CF cards and so on into it, plus my binoculars when travelling. I don't find that too heavy, as I am used to lugging it around and I don't take any notice of the weight. I lugged that lot round eastern Australia, Singapore and Thailand a few months ago.

Last edited:
Thanks VB, was looking at the lowepros.

he put the same response to someone selling a 40D earlier, a very helpfull response also;)

I use a Lowepro Mini-trekker. .

Ditto. A very good bag. On my last trip to Georgia, I flew hand baggage only - ie this bag. In it fitted camera with 400 mm lens, 50 mm lens, binoculars, chargers etc. Plus maps, guide books, change of clothing and thermos flask. Plus other bits and bobs.

Plan to do the same on upcoming trip to Central America, with addition of tent strapped to top.

PS if you get this, be aware there is a fold away waterproof cover tucked in the base - many people seem to be unaware of this useful little feature.

Lowepro are really good I have the mini trekker I am now looking at something slightly longer & have considered the idea of a waterproof Army rucksack then getting some sponge/foam & cutting that to size for the interior.Just a thought.

Steve.

The mini trekker will just about take a 40D with a 400/5.6 and 1.4tc attached length wise and there is plenty of room for more kit on the sides. You can also clip on a tripod or monopod no problem.

Hi
I use a Lowepro computreker+ to carry 40D, 100-400 lens, 400D with 35-120, binoculars, 65mm telescope, laptop and a few other things I can stuff in. The major problem is looking casual when I pick it up as handluggage when flying!
Had I had known about them before I brought it, I would have seriously considered ThinkTank at www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html
Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back