• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Swallow? (1 Viewer)

I'm guessing. I'm not really familiar with swallows. I was going to say barn swallow but its belly and throat is all white.

Kevin

Attachments

• birdforum.jpg
    birdforum.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 153
Certainly not a Barn Swallow. Tree Swallow looks good call to me: I believe that dark eye patch is a pretty distinctive indicator.

Hi Kevin,

You can see a bit of the green gloss on its shoulders. That and the roughly equal length of the tail and folded wings eliminates any other possibilities.

backwoodshome said:
I'm guessing. I'm not really familiar with swallows. I was going to say barn swallow but its belly and throat is all white.

Kevin
That looks like the tree swallows I just had in my martin house but I question the tail - doesn't seem to be forked or split.

I can't say I've studied Tree Swallows' tails at length, but I don't think they're really forked - at least not in the way Barn Swallows' are. Notched is the word I'd use. Kevin's bird looks just right to me, bearing in mind that the tail is distorted a little (though not much) through being splayed against the nestbox.

That is definately a Tree Swallow. I have them nesting every year in some of my bluebird boxes! They are lovely to watch fly, and are wonderful parents. I hope this one is interested in making a possible nest (little late for this year, curious about a home for next year!) Good picture, by the way.
Shelley

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back