• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two hummingbirds staying late (1 Viewer)

bobky

It is below freezing here in Kentucky at nights;but, we still have two hummingbirds visitiing the feeder. I have been told one is a Rufous,but am not sure. I did an online search on Rufous and found it is a West Coast USA bird,and I'm more than 2000 miles from there. I would appreciate help identifying these birds and any advice. Thanks,bob

Attachments

• 6dec03bird.jpg
    6dec03bird.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 277
Hi Bob,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Yes, it is a Rufous Hummer, easily told by the orange flanks (well, Allen's Hummer is almost indistinguishable, but that's very unlikely to occur where you are!). The green back shows it is a female, the males are orange on the back as well.

There has been an increasing tendency among Rufous Hummers to migrate 2000 miles east, instead of 2000 miles south, for the winter. They are benefitting from hummer feeders that people put out. In the past, they would have died, but now they survive, and return west to breed. And their offspring inherit this tendency to head east for the winter, which is why the numbers are rising (a nice example of evolution in action!).

Keep the hummer feeder out and filled all winter, and she'll be fine!

Michael

Bob, an on-line acquaintance had a Rufous stay around her home in West Lafayette, IN (home to Purdue and well north of you) until about Thanksgiving last year.

As the temperatures dropped, they constructed a makeshift 'warmth station' for the bird, a box-like structure with a good-sized light bulb inside (like for a flood light, maybe?) to provide a little warmth for the little guy. I don't remember whether they actually constructed it around the feeder (although I think they did), and the bird was seen to use it at least twice.

As the temps dropped even further, the bird eventually disappeared, after a night when the temps dropped to something like 22F.

Don't know if you want to go that far in providing for the little bird, but I know it worked for them, at least for a little while.

Rufous are becoming quite nearly 'regular vagrants' in Indiana in the fall -- there have been 2-4 reports, usually in the central and southern parts of the state, for 3-4 years now.

So while your bird might not be nearly the anomaly it might have been a decade ago, it's still quite interesting. Feed 'em for as long as he'll stay around, and enjoy him.

And thanks for the neat pic!

MIchael,

Thank you for the welcome and comments on these birds. Until today we thought there was only one hummer, but we saw two for sure. I took more pictures. My wife is determined to keep these little birds going all winter. Cheers,bob

Hi Beverly,

Thank you for the info on these beautiful little birds. My wife has been talking about putting up a box for them. Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 8dec03.jpg
    8dec03.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 256
Hi Bob, and welcome to BirdForum! 'Bout time we saw some more Kentuckians here! I'm jealous about your hummingbirds... I haven't seen any since October.

BTW, What part of our Commonwealth do you hail from?

Hello GR and Joesph,

Thanks for the info and welcome. I'm in Lexington,Ky. I will post on that site. Those two little birds are still here today! Amazing. Cheers, bob

Attachments

• 1bird1.jpg
    1bird1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 209
Feeding a hummer in winter

I have been reading about feeding hummers in winter and have orded something called Nektar Plus, which is said to provide all the nutrients a hummer needs. I realize sugar water alone isn't going to keep the little bird going all winter. Any other suggestions on the care and feeding of hummers in winter? Thanks,bob

Picture is from today, Dec. 17th, 2003. Camera is a Panasonic FZ1 with 12X optical zoom. Takenn out kitchen window.

Attachments

• 17dec03csmall.jpg
    17dec03csmall.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 208
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back