• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow? (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

Whatever it is... it's a first for me. I think the top contenders are Northern Rough-winged, Bank, and Tree.

I'm guessing Northern Rough-winged, because I don't see the breast band for the Bank nor the dark cheek for the Tree. Then again, I could be completely way off... but am I close?

Attachments

• swallow.jpg
    swallow.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 190
  • swallow1.jpg
    swallow1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 193
  • swallow2.jpg
    swallow2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 192
  • swallow3.jpg
    swallow3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 196
Evening all

while not disagreeing with you.....
interestingly, the undertail coverts are broadly tipped dark - a feature often given for Ridgway's Rough-winged Swallow, and something I was using last summer.... perhaps in error!

Ridgeway's is a split from Northern and occurs in southern Mexico to Belize/Guatemala

Tim,
I assumed (never a very safe thing to do) that Lzy took this on her home range of Southern Cal. and that's why I went with Northern Rough-winged.

Ridgway's Rough-winged is endemic to the Yucatan and surrounding area so I didn't think it would be this. I did however double check the photo just in case. While Ridgway's is slightly darker overall, the most clearly distinguishing feature between the two is supposed to be a small white spot just above the bill. I've looked for this on lots of swallows whenever I'm in the Yucatan but haven't found it yet 8-(

Wow, I've never gotten to see one of these swallows and your pics make for great I.D. comparisons. Saving these if you don't mind.

Nice photos and NRW for me too.
Identifying them in the air is a lot more difficult when they're mixed in with Tree Swallows.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back