• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 black birds (1 Viewer)

leon

This little birds were always on the ground, close to ground heaps (looked loke mole heaps - although I dont thing there are moles around. Sorry out of focus, but these birds were very full of energy.

They were shot on a farm close to Potchefstroom, South Africa. (100km west of Johannesburg)

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 206
What springs to my mind is Anteater chat; Myrmecocichla something, but I may be totally wrong-it is 9 years ago that I was in South Africa...

Joern Lehmhus said:
What springs to my mind is Anteater chat; Myrmecocichla something, but I may be totally wrong-it is 9 years ago that I was in South Africa...

Brilliant, thats it, now that I look at the pictures. There behavour makes sence now too. Thank you.

Now I must take more trouble to get a better picture.

Checked it again with the books (Robert´s and Sasol Guide).
Yep, our ID is correct-no doubt:

Southern Anteater Chat (Myrmecocichla formicivora). The white on the wing is diagnostic (not visible with fully closed wings, but you see it in the right bird).

Joern

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back