• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Microphone for camcorder (1 Viewer)

pva

Georgia
Hello,

Could you please recommend a good directional microphone for camcorder, suitable for recording bird's voices?

I know that good professional microphones are expensive, usually from $1000 to several thousand USD. Are there any cheaper alternatives? Of course they won't be as good as the expensive ones, but at least decent.

Also, are those microphones usually universal, i.e. fit most camcorders?

Thank you,

Peter

Hello,

Could you please recommend a good directional microphone for camcorder, suitable for recording bird's voices?

I know that good professional microphones are expensive, usually from $1000 to several thousand USD. Are there any cheaper alternatives? Of course they won't be as good as the expensive ones, but at least decent.

Also, are those microphones usually universal, i.e. fit most camcorders?

Thank you,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Take a look at this microphone:
http://www.adorama.com/SEME66K6.html

This is about as good as you will need for use with a camcorder for wildlife sound recording. I use a pair of these Sennheiser ME66/K6 very successfully for stereo recordings, and they are easily adapted to most any camera by purchasing the correct microphone interface cable which will not come with the Microphone, you will have to purchase the microphone to camera cable separately. I purchase Hosa Technology cables from AJ Petersen at www.sweetwater.com, Hosa makes a number of microphone cables, for my setup I use a Hosa cable with a 3.5mm TRS stereo plug to dual XLR-F conneectors, the 3.5mm TRS being what fits my camera.

A several important great features of the ME66/K6 microphones in this application is that they are low self noise, high output, and self powered by a single alkaline AA battery meaning no power from the camera is required.

Hi Mitch & Shadow,

Thank you very much for your advice.

When I search Amazon for Sennheiser ME66/K6, I get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-ME...66X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313334011&sr=8-1

It's Sennheiser ME66 Short Shotgun Capsule Head for K6 Series, which costs only $209.

What is this? This is not the same as microphone, isn't it?

Peter

Hi Peter,

The key word here is "Head", that is only half the microphone, it is missing the K6 power/preamplifier module and will not be useable by itself.

Another caution I should mention is about the K6 Power module, it is manufactured in several variations, and the one you want is the basic K6 with AA battery power and preamp/line driver built in which is the most common. For use with a camera, the one you do NOT want is the K6-P which is made for 48vdc Phantom power only...

The kit price for the kit I mentioned in my previous reply is the best price I have seen on a new ME66/K6, only way to beat that price is to watch E-bay for a used one, I have bought these mics new from Adorama and purchased them used on E-bay and as long as you choose carefully on E-bay, there are some great deals as these are strong reliable microphones, I've never seen a bad one.

One other item you will want is the foam windscreen or sock for the microphone, for use out of doors, this will help cut down some of the wind noise and handling sounds.

Last edited:
Hi Mitch & Shadow,

Thank you very much for your help!

I see now that there is a ME66 head and K6 module. Yes, this microphone gets excellent reviews.

Peter

It very much depends on your budget, I've tried some of the cheaper models and found the mike on my camcorder gives better results. The Sennheiser MKE 400 is a good, reasonably priced camcorder microphone though you may have to buy an additional windsock if using in windy weather. Rode is another make worth considering.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back