• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Violet-green Swallow nest being attacked (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
we had the pleasure of having a few swallows in our neighborhood nest in our bird house. They had three babies. The bad news is 2 have been killed by a scrub jay.

I figure its because the hole is too large based on the little research I've done. My question is, am I able to attach a thick board with a smaller hole on the existing house without disturbing the last chick? I worry that if I do anything to the actual house, it will stop the parents from returning.

Any advice is appreciated.

I think you'd be alright. Birds are usually very reluctant to abandon healthy young.

ok, cool.
I screwed together two 1 inch boards, cut a hole out, then tied it to the front of the house. I figured tying it would be less stressful to the baby.

took the parent about 5 min of flying around inspecting it before she landed and fed successfully. I'm hoping its enough to protect it from the scrub jays!

Attachments

• nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back