• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Kestrel (1 Viewer)

Hi, I am new to birdwatching and have been considering building a nestbox. I discovered that American Kesrals may live in/near my area and would like to build a box for them. Does anyone have any advice on upkeep on this type of box? While I would love to properly maintain the nest, I am not sure what precautions need to be taken.

Welcome to the birding fraternity!

These two PDF handouts should get you started:

Attachments

• American-Kestrel.pdf
    710.3 KB · Views: 42
  • WHM - Attracting Kestrels.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Hi, I am new to birdwatching and have been considering building a nestbox. I discovered that American Kesrals may live in/near my area and would like to build a box for them. Does anyone have any advice on upkeep on this type of box? While I would love to properly maintain the nest, I am not sure what precautions need to be taken.

Hi Britt,

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary in Eastern Pennsylvania near Reading, Pa has a Kestrel Nestbox Program. Basic instructions on how to build them; where to place them and how to maintain them can be found in a PDF in the link below:

http://www.hawkmountain.org/science/research/kestrel-nestbox-program/page.aspx?id=301

More information can also be found on the Peregrine Foundation website.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/nest-structures-kestrel

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Bob

Last edited:
According to the charts and range maps Kestrels are all over, but Ive never seen one in my 48 years where I live. Granted I've only been a birder for a few years so maybe I wasn't LOOKING for them. A couple years ago I heard of a public gamelands about 90 minutes from me that had an active nestbox program. My wife and I went and seen several, male, female, and juvenile. I had not seen another since.

This past spring I was on our range (I'm a law enforcement firearms instructor) and between "relays" of shooters, I noticed a bird drop down and fly along our target backstops. I first thought "dove" but as it passed me I was fairly (85%) sureit was a Kestrel. I looked at my co-instructor and lifelong best friend who has an extensive outdoors/upland hunting background and excitedly asked "Kessssstrel?" He said he thought it was, but once it crossed the edge of the woods, we heard it (or another) call. It WAS a Kestrel. This is even more amazing being that less than 5 minutes before 10 officers had been shooting.

We were back out there a few weeks ago and AGAIN a female kestrel flew over between relays.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back