• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors: Ulcinj saltpans, Montenegro (1 Viewer)

General Melchett

About 35 miles behind the front line
Supporter
Hi.

I'm guessing the first two photos (actually the same bird) are of a female hen harrier.

The bird in the third photo was pursuing another small bird (a passerine or possibly even a small wader ... everything happened quickly and at a distance!) until it ditched into vegetation. The raptor looked small for a harrier, actually more-or-less sparrowhawk-sized, although I know size perspective can often be deceptive, and possessed the same sort of agility.

Would a harrier hunt like this or have that sort of agility?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 99
ok for Hen Harrier, the third one gives me a feeling of Sparrowhawk but this is the most frustrating position a bop can show

Thanks Tom. I appreciate that. There's a couple more shots of the third one but both with even more of a knife-blade profile and hardly identifiable as anything!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back