• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If I wanted to go there I wouldn't start from here! A Mac query. (1 Viewer)

Roger P

I've got myself into a bit of a mess! I've allowed iPhoto to take over all my downloads and filing of photos. I am still able to remember which 'Event' is likely to contain which image but it's all beginning to get out of control and I'm not really sure where images can be found on the hard drive.

I need to develop a better system (actually a system at all!) I need to be able to file images and find them again based on location, species, date etc.

I use a combination of iPhoto and Photoshop to edit pictures - really underusing Photoshop as I just use a bit of cropping, levels, saturation and sharpening

Would Aperture or Lightroom help? If so do people have any preference? I tend to favour Aperture if it compliments iPhoto but have seen warnings about Apple's future commitment to these kind of programs as opposed to Adobe's.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Roger
I use Lightroom and it is ideal for use as you outline. My images are files in a folder structure which indicates date and location and then Lightroom allows the addition of keywords for further filtering. I'm sure there are other tools that can do this as well, but, for me LR serves the purpose and is my main editing tool combined. I do very little manipulation outside LR although I do have Photoshop. Some of that is me in that if the image doesn't meet my requirements, with whatever processing I can do in LR, I bin it. I have no doubt you will get people who can contribute and offer discussion on other programs available.

Regards

Phil

I have no doubt you will get people who can contribute and offer discussion on other programs available.

Regards

Phil

I am using ACDSee for exactly the same things that Phil uses Lightroom to do. I find it works well for me, it is consistently cheaper, and for me, a keeper. Nothing of the items Roger does to pictures would necessitate leaving ACDSee.

Niels

Hello,

If you go to the actual file for the photo, which might be in "Photo Booth," or elsewhere, highlight it; click on File, then click on "Get Info." In the "Spotlight Comments," you can write any tags or other information about the photograph.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thanks Phil, Niels and Arthur. All helpful comments.

Does ACDsee run on a mac?

Any comments, good or bad about Aperture?

Thanks

Roger

In iPhoto you can click on the little 'i' symbol on any photo and add keywords. You can then use the search feature at the bottom of the iPhoto page to look for those keywords. I don't do this myself but, like you, I probably should do.

If I were choosing between Aperture or Lightroom I would probably choose Lightroom. I am not really sure why but it seems to have a higher profile and is much better value now that they have halved the price.

Ron

iPhoto is fine

You can title each event in iPhoto and add details to each photo too. You just need to be organised. I'm sure that will be quicker that starting again in another program.
Chris

Last year I evaluated lightroom 2.0 and Aperture 3.0. I finally went with Aperture. The lightroom interface is clunky and not much of a photo organizing and meta data application. Aperture excels in these areas. You can download it from Apple for around $89. I would highly recommend Aperture.

I have used iPhoto from day one of getting my iMac. However I found as my collection grew it was jumping about a bit. Not being computer literate I decided to jump ship and go for elements 10 just after last Xmas. I find that the processing part more complicated than iPhoto but is is much better and flexible. The organiser part is as well. I can organise my files(titles of birds) into sections ie raptors then sub sections ie owls then again ie barn owl short eared etc very easily. Add titles and keep the image information ie date/ time shutter etc. your problem will be changing over from iPhoto to elements when you import the images they will need working on again. Unless somebody knows better on the importation process? as mentioned earlier I am not that computer literate. elements 10 can be purchased quite cheaply. I always would go for the disk rather than download. try the download free trial. Regards. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back