• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid-side stereo: what set-up do you use? (1 Viewer)

MKH30/40

Many people like going narrower eg using MKH50/40 or equivalents in other ranges.

Is there an "ideal" set-up for recording birdsong?

No. The conditions under which people record birds vary far too widely for any one rig to work right for everyone. If you are after individual species recordings then a parabolic is good in non-tropical environments and probably close to what most people want at the beginning. A good second choice would be a quality directional shotgun mic eg ME66/67, if cost is paramount the economy MKE300 is not bad.

If you are after natural sounding ambiences and are far enough away from man made noises (ie not in the UK :( ) then a less directional rig will give you a more natural perspective. You can use a less directional setup if you can get your mics closer to your subject and use long cables to the recording position.

Thanks ermine.
My plan is to start with a figure-of-8 plus short shotgun to get a feel for the logistics and then decide whether I want to progress to a parabolic. I have not tried MS recording before. I am assuming that I can decode the channels manually using Audacity.
Living in central Scotland, I have a variety of habitats at my disposal from the urban to the remote rural, so should be able to come up with some interesting results.
No doubt it will be more challenging than I anticipate.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back