• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (2 Viewers)

Finaly I have time to post longer review.

Review of Handbook of the Mammals of the World, Vol. 2. Hoofed Mammals.

Overall, high quality book, which seems to achieve its double function - informative enough for scientific reference, but also attractive and readable enough to fascinate normal reader. Included are aardvark, pangolins (for some reason included with hoofed mammals), elephants, hyraxes, perissodactyls and artiodactyls. Omitted are sirenians, which presumably will be in volume 4.

Most family texts are excellent. Unfortunately, text on elephants is mostly about African Savanna, just occasionally mentioning Asian. The family text on Giraffes is too brief and practically omits okapi.

Photos are very good, and sometimes jaw dropping, for example Musk Deer climbing monkey-like a tree and Spanish Ibex on impossibly overhanging rock. Plates are well drawn, and species texts are generally informative, if sometimes too brief.

I would wish better descriptions of photos. Some are fragments of main text or have little relation to the photo. Authors likely used stock photos and appear not to know the context of photographed behavior.

I would wish, most of all, more detailed treatment of subspecies and individual variation. This is huge shortcoming when subspecies differ greatly in their apperance, ecology and conservation status. It is better than in Volume 1. on carnivores, but still poor. Variation of Wild Boar are perfectly described but mostly not illustrated, while subspecies of Red Deer, in contrast, are well illustrated but not described in the text.

I would also prefer more illustration of individual variation, especially as this is likely to be identification reference to many poorly known tropical species. Individual variation is usually not presented, not even eg. spotted fawns of deer (in volume 1., cubs of large cats were illustrated). This will be even bigger problem in the next volume, Primates, where eg. juvenile langurs and subordinate and dominant males of orangutans and baboons are strikingly different.

I would also welcome separate chapters on Social Organization and Vocalizations. They are briefly tucked under Breeding or omitted altogether. This was not such a problem for birds, but is a big omission of highly social mammals. This will be even bigger problem in the upcoming volume of Primates.

I am also missing inline citations, because current approach makes facts unverifiable. Given that Wikipedia, absolutely popular source, has inline citations, this omission is not needed.

So I am left wondering eg. over the source of such claims as Caucasian Wisent was a separate species (usually regarded as a subspecies of Wisent, and a poorly differentiated one) or proposition that Common Hippos could still swim in historic times from mainland Africa to Madagascar.

I was also puzzled by inconsistent treatment of introduced populations – some included on the maps, some not. Domestic and feral forms are also covered or omitted without clear pattern. So we learn lots about Llama and Alpaca, but nothing about Mouflon, and the world's most numerous and commercially important ungulate, Wild/Domestic Cattle is hardly mentioned! Overall, I would welcome full treatment of taxa extinct in historical times, like Walker´s Mammals of the World.

And the most, ehm, extremely controversial part – species treatment of Bovidae, which were split into about twice more species. There are ca. 11 species of Klippspringer, 4 of African Buffalo and so on. Justification of this is mostly missing, referring to unpublished material to appear in book form. From the scant facts, many so-called species seem neither diagnosable, separately evolving, nor worthy of species rank under any concept. Oversplitting resulted in large populations of hybrids eg. Ibex in C Caucasus and large populations of uncertain species, eg. Buffalo in N Uganda. So I very much doubt if this treatment is practical. User of usual species concept, at least, by substituting species by subspecies, can still easily use this chapter.

Summing up – excellent book, but slightly worse than HBW or HMW Volume 1. Probably best reference to most world's ungulates, although some individual species have better single-volume treatments.

Last edited:
Some excellent and highly detailed reviews on this thread that sum up the book nicely from what bits I have read so far. Having only received my copy a week or so ago I’m still marvelling at all the photos.

Jurek's review is spot on, and this is from someone who doesn't necessarily think the BSC is the best and most practical method for delimiting species.

I kind of wonder...The Groves and Grubb ungulate taxonomy volume comes out at the end of November. I wonder if this volume was delayed? It perhaps would explain the relative lack of discussion of splits in Bovidae.

........ The family text on Giraffes is too brief and practically omits okapi.
.......wish better descriptions of photos.
....wish, most of all, more detailed treatment of subspecies and individual variation. This is huge shortcoming when subspecies differ greatly in their appearance, ecology and conservation status.
..........prefer more illustration of individual variation,
........I would also welcome separate chapters on Social Organization and Vocalizations. . .......
.........I was also puzzled by inconsistent treatment of introduced populations – some included on the maps, some not. Domestic and feral forms are also covered or omitted without clear pattern. ................

Thank you very much Yurek! I fully agree on all points that I'm able to judge at all. The one's quoted above are those that I deplore the most.

I just hope they can still react to these criticisms and improve at least for the next volumes. I think that would be more important than to strictly adhere to a fixed publication cadence. Though I hope they can shorten the intervals as the project keeps going, just as they did in the case of HBW.

But then, do we need to let Lynx know directly, or do they read forums such as this one?

I notified Lynx Edicions on this thread.

I just realized, that I am thinking too much in bird terms. ;) Of course in mammals there are not only vocalizations, but communication is also visual and by smell.

I also think, in the new volumes, I would welcome line drawings in species texts of identification points such as tooth differences.

Last edited:
I suspect line drawings of dentition might be above and beyond the scope of this work. It is likely only going to be of interest to a much smaller subset of the HMW audience, but would require a good deal of work and room (work and room I would rather see spent on illustrating more geographic variation, etc

I suspect line drawings of dentition might be above and beyond the scope of this work. It is likely only going to be of interest to a much smaller subset of the HMW audience, but would require a good deal of work and room (work and room I would rather see spent on illustrating more geographic variation, etc

If one has to choose between the options, I fully agree with you.

Felis bieti is still full species and Andean olingo story seems unresolved. Taxonomy almost equals HMW1( missing Genetta felina split + disputed Olingos)

AFAIK the Andean olingo is only known by a museum specimen and Kris Helgen's efforts to rediscover this species in the wild were not successful so far. By the way, I've got my copy of HMW 2 yesterday.

Just got a flyer for HMW volume 3 - primates...which is suppose to come out in Dec 2012. Honestly, for the sake of my wallet, I was hoping for a delay...

:)

I was hoping for better illustrations for my 160 euros......why couldn't they keep Toni Llobet....the first two volumes were pretty nice. The sample plates on the website do look disappointing - eg, lemurs all the same shape and size....personally hate that as it's just lazy artwork and HMW ain't a fieldguide so a bit of change of positon would be nice....not sure I'll buy this volume as artwork is the paramount factor when choosing books for me as its obviously a subject close to my heart. I'm sure the photos will be as sumptious as ever and the info comprehensive (hopefully they've taken some of Jurek's critique on board) but the plates I've seen just don't do it for me. Pity....but maybe the rest of them are better......;)

Last edited:
...the plates I've seen just don't do it for me. Pity....but maybe the rest of them are better......;)
Agree, very uninspiring - almost diagrammatic. And Lynx has presumably showcased what it considers to be the most impressive examples!

But I might fork out for Vol 4 (Sea Mammals) if I haven't gone broke by then...

PS. As a non-artist, I'm guessing that it must be quite difficult to portray mammalian fur/hair successfully - attempts to depict hairs often look totally exaggerated and streaky/spiky. Whereas with birds, individual feather tracts can be depicted quite convincingly by a skilled artist.

Last edited:
I was hoping for better illustrations ......why couldn't they keep Toni Llobet....the first two volumes were pretty nice. The sample plates on the website do look disappointing - eg, lemurs all the same shape and size....personally hate that as it's just lazy artwork and HMW ain't a fieldguide so a bit of change of positon would be nice..........

I wholeheartedly agree with you! That is more than just one step backwards. I think the sample plates are simply terrible. Would be fine for a field guide, but certainly not for this series. Lazy artwork is the correct designation. None of the volumes of HBW and HMW have had such a low quality of illustrations so far. Completely uninspiring, as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather pay a bit more if that's the problem. :C

Last edited:
I thought the artwork was a bit "off" but wasn't sure if it was just me (or how much of it was the difficulty in drawing primates, whose faces can be a bit more tough to draw).

It will be interesting to see the size of the volume. Some of the sample text also seemed a bit more reduced.

I've just had a look at the example plates and thought they were adequate although clearly not stunning. I'm less worried about the identical poses for those species which are genuinely similar. For examples I think the night monkeys are all pretty similar in shape in the field (a lot of allospecies there). More of a worry for the lemurs and baboons. Gorillas look adequate.

cheers, alan

I am also very unimpressed by pictures, which belong to an identification manual not to the glossy, expensive book.

BTW - anybody saw a male Lowland Gorilla so white all over?

Family text seems, however better than before, but, again, no inline citations. You are supposed to know magically which of dozens of sources the facts come from.

Species appear painfully oversplit. I guess it would be cruel to ask authors to describe individual variation within a species, because they overlap?

Photos are nice. But why this captive mouse lemur with a domestic cricket? Would HBW publish a photo of a falconry hawk eating white lab mouse?

Previous two volumes looked better in print than from samples. I hope this will be the case this time.

Got my flyer in the mail too, today. Unfortunately, the printed sample plates don't look any better than what I have seen in the internet versions. Really very disappointing. So I'll need to concentrate on the rest of the contents. I am sure that part will be very much worth a purchase.

Last edited:
I wonder if the change in plates is a result of either trying to avoid any major delay that the last few volumes suffered from, or maybe a cost cutting measure. I would imagine that the audience for this series might not be as large. Plenty of lay birders buy the HBW, but the lay audience is undoubtedly smaller for a similar series of mammals.

Jurek: outside of the Bovidae chapter, most of the series has used established taxonomy. If you think the primates are oversplit, than it's likely not a novel interpretation of the chapter authors.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back