• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roseate Tern? (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Belfast in May. Is there anywhere I can go to have a good chance of seeing Roseate Terns? I note that they breed on Swan Island in Lough Larne, so I could maybe take a day trip up there and walk along the shore of the Lough (I'm assuming you can't visit the island itself). Also it looks as if the RSPB are trying to attract them to breed in Belfast Lough http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/310504-priory-college-eco-warriors-do-a-good-tern, though I don't know how likely I would be to see them if I called in there.

Or I suppose I could go down to Rockabill Island and fly back from Dublin, but it doesn't look like there's much in the way of arrangements for visiting the island.

Greatful for any advice.

Last edited:
I would not waste your time trying for these at Larne Lough. Down to 1 breeding pair in recent years and only very distant views of breeding island available. I'm from Larne and I am yet to see this species around the Lough!

Would also think you are highly unlikely to see them in Belfast Lough either.

Don't know about access to Rockabill.

Neal

OK, thanks, I've asked about Rockabill on the Ireland forum but I suspect it may be hard to visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back