• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

Quick visit this evening, nothing to report on the wader front, lots of hirundines over the meadow, Wheatear, LRP, & 4 Common Terns roosted in the workings.

John.

Last edited:
Just a some dates to remind you of , Kevin and Matt are doing the Summer Fayre at the Heron Wood Community Base Selborne Ave on Sat 19th May 10am till 2pm big thank you to them, any suport you can give them would be good .
Then i m doing a walk around on Sat 26th May at 10am starting at Pea Bridge as a follow up.
It would be great if there where some birder on the bank to show and encourage those that turn up.
Rich H .

Looking forward to it, Rich. Putting together a little slideshow of relevant pics of flora and fauna at the moment, not necessarily actual photos from Tice's, but just to give the locals a taster of what they have on their doorstep. Might use your Wheatear pic from last autumn, John, if that's ok?
Will also be there on the 26th.

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi Matt,

No probs feel free to use the pic, I really should take more! Good luck on the 19th, great idea hopefully will generate some interest from the locals, I'll pop in if I get chance. I'll prob be around early doors on the 26th but as that's my birthday I'll prob be off somewhere with my folks later. Will let you guys know if a mega turns up that morning though!

Cheers,

John.B :)

What a day as Kev says spend some time and you never know what turns s up and that was the case today. 8 15 am lots of warblers bullfinch ect but not much on the meadow.Decided to go back there midday as soon as i veiwed meadow Greenshank and yellow wagtail just 12 hours from Kevin predictions.Went around to bank ,very wet and stormy but picked up dunlin and redshank in bike pool (pool in front of bank) at 3pm going SE to NW Osprey white crown white underside brown upperparts jiss just right. Went down to Bagshot Lea Ponds but no site of it. Seen Osprey in Canada and Scotland never in England and i get one at Tices . Do i feel good or what.

Looking forward to it, Rich. Putting together a little slideshow of relevant pics of flora and fauna at the moment, not necessarily actual photos from Tice's, but just to give the locals a taster of what they have on their doorstep. Might use your Wheatear pic from last autumn, John, if that's ok?
Will also be there on the 26th.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt
Thanks mate i m sure our efforts will pay dividends.Wish i could be with you.
Rich.

Well done Rich another day to remember at Tices! Perhaps mystic Kev can give us this weeks lottery numbers!
The Dunlin & Redshank were still present this evening but no sign of the Greenshank.

John.

3 wheatear with plenty of swifts martins and swallow s common sandpiper + warblers still hearing lesser whitethroat to and more garden warbler this year but still awaiting greenshank.
Just a some dates to remind you of , Kevin and Matt are doing the Summer Fayre at the Heron Wood Community Base Selborne Ave on Sat 19th May 10am till 2pm big thank you to them, any suport you can give them would be good .

The time of the Summer Fair is 10:30 to 12:30

Kevin

Well done Rich another day to remember at Tices! Perhaps mystic Kev can give us this weeks lottery numbers!
The Dunlin & Redshank were still present this evening but no sign of the Greenshank.

John.

I won't give any numbers yet just incase they come up and my monies not on them!!

My next prediction is that the/a Greenshank will return for a few more days and then a few more Dunlin and some Ringed Plovers before the end of the month.
Then into new territory as the meadow has never been flooded in June. So the only waders seen other than the residents are Green & Common Sandpipers and the odd Redshank.

The long range prediction as the autumn return passage kicks off in July. July 13th looks good with Green & Common Sandpiper, Dunlin, Oystercatcher, Black-tailed Godwit and a Spoonbill.
If any/all of these appear on that day I will predict the lottery numbers!!

Kevin

That's surprisingly short! I'm doing a photo slideshow, as I mentioned, do you think you could get together a species list, Kev? If not I can just print this page maybe? - http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Tices_Meadow

Matt.

Hi Matt,

I will do a list. On the slide show can you include some common/garden birds such as Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Bullfinch etc. Basic birds for us but for a non birdwatcher they may not know what they are! I was at a Springwatch event with the Surrey Bird Club and for a 'name the bird' competition very few people knew what an Oystercatcher was.

Kevin

Hi Matt,

I will do a list. On the slide show can you include some common/garden birds such as Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Bullfinch etc. Basic birds for us but for a non birdwatcher they may not know what they are! I was at a Springwatch event with the Surrey Bird Club and for a 'name the bird' competition very few people knew what an Oystercatcher was.

Kevin

Ok, will do. Have included a fairly broad selection of birds including Common Sand, Bullfinch, Sparrowhawk, Skylark, as well as a few plants and other animals, e.g. Roe deer, Grass Snake, Common Blue butterfly, Blackthorn, etc. 36 slides in total and I'll just leave it running as a slideshow on my laptop.

Matt.

Ok, will do. Have included a fairly broad selection of birds including Common Sand, Bullfinch, Sparrowhawk, Skylark, as well as a few plants and other animals, e.g. Roe deer, Grass Snake, Common Blue butterfly, Blackthorn, etc. 36 slides in total and I'll just leave it running as a slideshow on my laptop.

Matt.

Excellent sounds good.

Kevin

Another Greenshank on the meadow 8 30am flew up high then down into workings .Could not relocate . I wonder if its the same bird we had on 15th but is good at hiding? Little Greab in settling pond .4 Com Tern and Grey Lag Goose.

Popped down this evening & met up with Dave Baker.All the action was around the "bike pool", Dave found at least 3 LRP's & then whilst scanning them I noted 2 Ringed Plovers, the first this Spring. Also a Wheatear, lots of Sand Martins, Common Tern in the workings, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, & a Reed Warbler singing in trees near the bank.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back