• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Separating 128RC head from top plate (1 Viewer)

Greg Nye

Hi,
today I went shopping to buy a mini DV head cleaning tape and came home with a Manfrotto 501HDV tripod head as well. The plan was to replace the 128RC head I currently have on my 055PROB as it has a number of features that will make it a more stable platform when using my Sony FX7 video camera. However I have encountered a problem. Does anyone know the secret of separating a 128RC head from the top plate? I obtained this trypod with head already mounted but as far as I am aware I should be able to unscrew it and screw the new one on but so far I have been unsuccessful and do not want to risk damageing it in the attempt. Can anyone offer any suggestings. Thanks

Greg Nye

Thanks for the reply Henry, I actualy removed them altogether and safely stored them in a small container. I also removed the knob that locks the horizontal movement in case that also had some kind of influence although I was unable to remove the washers underneath it. It all looked so simple when the 501HDV was screwed on a tripod at the shop.

You shouldn't need to remove the locking knob (or washers) that locks the horizontal movement Greg. In fact, to remove the head, you'll need to replace it, and tighten the knob down as tight as it will go, then twist the head off the column in an anti-clockwise direction. If the head still rotates in its panning movement, the knob isn't tight enough. The only thing left that should be holding the head onto the column is a 3/8" screw going into the base of the 128 head. This screw is an integral part of the top of the column.

If it's still too tight, try holding the column in a vice (but protect it with a towel or other cloth), and twist off the head with both hands. Several short sharp jolts should do it. Alternatively get a helper to hold it.

If however, someone's glued it on, or used thread locking compound (unlikely) then getting it off is going to be hard. As far as I know Manfrotto only screw them on in the factory, but if someone else has owned it before you-who knows? New columns aren't that expensive if you have to go down that route.
Cheers, Steve.

Last edited:
I agree with everything Steve has said. Sometimes I've found a few sharp raps applied to the end of the panhandle will dislodge a frozen head better than steady pressure.

Thanks Guys. About 5 mins after my previous post and after I had shut down computer I had one last attempt before setting out for the day. As Steve says when I thought about it I realized that having the locking nut tight should be a help not a hindrance so I replaced it and locked it down. I then clamped it as tight as I could in the tripod but initially I was still not successful. I then re attached the centre column extension, ( I always work without it so I can film at almost ground level and with legs fully extended it is as high as I ever need it. There are some advantages in being below average height). I don't know if this helped or if it was just a coincidence but I then finally managed to unscrew it and attach the 501HDV. I am surprised it was so difficult considering I have only had the pod since last November. And my verdict on the new head? Fantastic! I usually use the FXY with a Raynox 2.2 extender and was having two problems with the 128RC. One was that when locking the vertical movement the camera would drop slightly. The other was that even though by being careful I had developed techniques to reduce camera shake I could not eliminate it entirely. It was especially prone to shake when overcoming friction when beginning to pan or tilt from a stationary position. Both of these problems have been eliminated entirely and has a further benefit that once I had set up the counter balances I do not have to lock it anymore. I just point it anywhere, can let go of the pan handle entirely and it just stays there. Fantastic!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back