• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice for using a big IS lens (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Last week I finally got a Canon 500 f4 IS, so far I have been very impressed with the lens, speed of focus and sharpness are excellent. I can already see how useful IS is when shooting from the car, however I do have a question or two. I have been told that it is good to leave IS on even when using a tripod, is this right? Also the booklet says that I should switch the lens to IS 2 when taking panning shots, when do others use this? Just for flight shots or also when panning with a running or swimming bird? Any (other) advice on using this lens would be great, I really want to get the most out of it.

Congratulations on your new lens. Looking at the results other members have achieved with this lens you should be delighted with it.

According to Canon, you can leave IS switched on when using a tripod as the lens will recognise the stability of the tripod and temporarily switch off the IS accordingly. However, I usually switch the function off if using a tripod for long periods, if only to save battery power. You will find a remote release useful when using a tripod, particularly if you are using a TC.

I use the IS 2 mode for panning flight shots and also fast running or swimming birds. For slower-moving subjects I use IS 1.

Best of luck!

I tend to just leave it on all the time. Even with a tripod it can be useful sometimes.

I have to admit though, I've never been really conversant with the difference between IS 1 and 2. I've never been able to detect much difference between them. I'd be interested to hear others' views on this point.

1. I leave IS on all the time. It shouldn't affect battery life if it does what it says on the tin "switches off".

2. If I am handholding, I am far too busy holding on to the thing to change between 1 & 2, so it stays on 1. Never had a "good enough opportunity" (in flight) yet for it to make a difference.

Mike.

Hi Peter
Congratulations on the new lens, Im sure you will have many years of enjoyement from it.

I leave my IS on when on a tripod, it definitely works, even though Canon says it recognises the lens is on a tripod and turns off?! So it gives a little extra benefit to me.

As for IS 1 or 2, I also havent noticed much difference when switching to 2 for panning shots and tend to leave it on 1. Perhaps you could experiment yourself and see if there is any benefit?

Now that you have the 500mm F4, you know we will all be expecting even more dramatic shots from you :)

Adrian

Glad you are enjoying it Peter!

For me IS is pretty much always on and in mode 2 - if a subject is static I will normally be using support, otherwise I am panning on flying/moving subjects.

What legs and head are you using with it?

Peter good news i am sure that youll get some cracking shot with the 500 (Have you ordered a bigger buggy to carry it). Ive read on other sites that a lot of users leave the IS in mode 2 all the time.Ive left this in mode 2 lots of times and the shots seem just as good but i do use single shot focus a lot of the time then its on mode 1,only trouble with switching between 1 and 2 is sod law say it,ll be in the wrong mode when your in a hurry.So perhaps Mark has the right idea and leave it in mode 2 all the time.

I'm no expert, but Arthur Morris (birdsasart.com) definitely is, and he says leave it switched on and in mode 2 all the time (tripod or not, panning or not).

Lucky You. I would be interested how you find it in comparison with your sigma. I am now potentially looking at the 300-800 sigma. Nice Stonechat photo on the cley spy adverts!

Lucky You. I would be interested how you find it in comparison with your sigma. I am now potentially looking at the 300-800 sigma.

How it compares to the Sigma was the big question for me. Everything that I read suggested that the Canon would be a bit sharper, slightly faster focusing all with the added benefit of IS and f4. So when I finally got the Canon I was keen to test it (but I had to sell the Sigme so a side by side test wasn't possible). So far I am hugely impressed with the Canon it is so sharp, I'm definitely getting more keepers out of it than I did with the Sigma (which is already an excellent lens).

I did consider the 300-800 f5.6 too but decided that I prefer the Canon 500 f4. By adding a 1.4x tc to the Canon I can get almost as much reach and still have IS. I also like the closer focus of the Canon 500 and the option to shot at f4 in low light. I also had an interesting conversation with someone in a well known camera shop who told me that they 'often' have people trade in the 300-800 for the Canon/Nikon 500 f4.

. By adding a 1.4x tc to the Canon I can get almost as much reach and still have IS. I also like the closer focus of the Canon 500 and the option to shot at f4 in low light. I also had an interesting conversation with someone in a well known camera shop who told me that they 'often' have people trade in the 300-800 for the Canon/Nikon 500 f4.

With the 1.4 can you get full auto focus without taping the pins ?
I have the 100-400 but thinking of adding the 500 when/if finance allows it.

With the 1.4 can you get full auto focus without taping the pins ?
Something is very wrong if you can't use an f4 lens with a 1.4x tc without having to tape the pins :t:
f4 lens + extra f-stop of 1.4x tc = f5.6, which is within the limits of all dslr cameras. A 2x may be a different story, as then you're up to f8 and only Canon pro bodies can AF with that (centre AF point only), with a non pro body pin taping is then a prospect.

edit. Although you can never quite predict third-party teleconverters (Kenko, Sigma) and how they'll work.
cheers,
Andy

Very interested to see the advice to use IS mode 2. Have never used anything other than IS1 (even for flight shots) and not experienced a problem. But will now experiment. Another brownie point for BF, thanks.

Now that you have the 500mm F4, you know we will all be expecting even more dramatic shots from you :)

no pressure then ;)

For me IS is pretty much always on and in mode 2 - if a subject is static I will normally be using support, otherwise I am panning on flying/moving subjects.

What legs and head are you using with it?

Interesting, I'll have to try some shots using mode 2 and see how they go. I'm using a Gitzo 1349 tripod with a Jobu Black Widow gimbal head (much like a Kirk Cobra).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back