• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What works for learning the 400D? (1 Viewer)

RonHW

Hi,

Just bought a 400D/xti with Canon's 70-300 IS lens. Am enjoying the package very much but realize that there is a whole lot to learn just to operate the thing properly.

In addition to going through the manual and trial & eror, what has worked for others to get a quick grasp on using the camera.

I'm not a neophyte to photography and this is not my first digital camera although it is my first dslr.

Thanks,
Ron

Practice, practice, practice until your sick of practice then practice some more. The best way to get a quick grasp is just to use it in the field and see what works for you. I just recently bought the same camera in July and the first time i took photos they all came out crappy except for a few. But next time i went i did a little better and so on.
Read up on the manual, it will help alot also.

Also, how is that lens? I'm thinking about buying it because my phoneix 500mm f/8 is just to crappy to take the quality photos i want. I mean i do good enough but...i don't have 5k to plunk down on a canon 500mm IS f/4 monster, nor 1k to buy even a tamaron 200-500mm which would be nice. The 70-300mm might fit nicely, i really want to photograph warblers but i can't effectively with the phoenix, to dark i need to be lucky which i'm usually not.

Last edited:
Also, how is that lens? I'm thinking about buying it because my phoneix 500mm f/8 is just to crappy to take the quality photos i want. I mean i do good enough but...i don't have 5k to plunk down on a canon 500mm IS f/4 monster, nor 1k to buy even a tamaron 200-500mm which would be nice. The 70-300mm might fit nicely, i really want to photograph warblers but i can't effectively with the phoenix, to dark i need to be lucky which i'm usually not.

pdog,

We are very pleased with the lens. It is quick and lightweight and the images are crisp. From what others tell us, the 70-300 range will cover a good bit of what we will want to do. There are several reviews of the lens. Here are two;
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=294
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef_70_300is_review.html

We will probably keep our eyes open for a good priced used Tamron 200-500 or Sigma 170-500 Even though there is a big fall off in IQ with those lenses at the longer ranges.

Good luck.
rw

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back