• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Endurance PC 10x25 (1 Viewer)

CliveP

I've been taking a little closer look at and through this and it strikes me as being remarkably good.

Eye positioning is a doddle, the view is nice and big for a compact and sharp to the edge with little distortion across the view and good dof, very good brightness and good to very good contrast. CA and glare are controlled very well, in fact the only negative I can see is that on this one the focus is a little stiff and jerky and only really focuses both sides sharply when approaching the focus point from one direction so it takes a bit of fiddling to get the focus correct but it seems so good otherwise that I can live with that.

I did a quick compare with some of my other similar size bins and it's better than the Bresser 8x28, better than my beloved Vistron 8x25 mainly due to the slightly better contrast of the Hawke but I would say it's not just as good as my RSPB 8x20 HD although it's very noticeable how blue biased the HD is in comparison with the more neutral or slightly warmer Hawke.

I actually think this is much better than the Sapphire 8x25 I tried. It has properly tight hinges and comfortable eyecups and easy eyepositioning and I have no problem at all holding it steady or having a relaxed view with it but I will know better how it fares once the floods recede and I get a chance to take it out on my usual circuit but I don't see any reason why it won't work very well.

I originally bought it to have in a pocket as a supplement for distance viewing while out with my Kowa 8x32 or Sapphire 8x43 but it seems it would be perfectly useful to take along just by itself.

I'll maybe add some more if there is anything else worth mentioning after I have tried it out properly but definitely a thumbs up so far. Of course it's very light also without all the rubber armour and very good for macro, using one side like a monocular, as it focuses down to about 40cm. I can't see this as anything other than a pretty great little compact especially for the price, definitely great value. I'm certainly pleasantly surprised and kind of wishing I'd had one years ago and it's definitely much better than the Hawke Frontier PC 8x25 I had, mainly due to it's larger more comfortable view.

I think that was the easiest review I've ever written as this binocular is just so straightforward and that has got to be good and I'm absolutely happy to add this to the collection.
:t::t::t:

Last edited:
Clive, may I ask you a couple of questions on these Binoculars please :
1. You said in your review that they were better than the Sapphire 8x25, is that the image quality or the build?
2. Have you tried the Zeiss Terra 8x25 and if so how do they compare with the Endurance 10x25?
3. I know this is probably unfair but would you say the clarity is as good as the Sapphire 8x43?
I'm looking to buy a compact and if the Endurance PC are viable, I may as well save some money as they are considerably less than the other 2 models I mentioned.
I would appreciate your opinion as these will be my main pair as I have to cut down weight carried due to health problems.

Clive, may I ask you a couple of questions on these Binoculars please :
1. You said in your review that they were better than the Sapphire 8x25, is that the image quality or the build?
2. Have you tried the Zeiss Terra 8x25 and if so how do they compare with the Endurance 10x25?
3. I know this is probably unfair but would you say the clarity is as good as the Sapphire 8x43?
I'm looking to buy a compact and if the Endurance PC are viable, I may as well save some money as they are considerably less than the other 2 models I mentioned.
I would appreciate your opinion as these will be my main pair as I have to cut down weight carried due to health problems.

No problem.

1. The 10x25 Endurance have better eyecups and properly tightened hinges and they just feel a bit nicer to hold and they are very easy to get eye position compared with the 8x25 Sapphire I had. Pretty sure the Sapphire has better colour and a bit less CA. Perhaps the 10x25 Sapphire would have suited me better but I'm happy with the Endurance.

2. Haven't tried the Zeiss but do have an RSPB HD 8x20 which has remarkable clarity (ahead of the Endurance) but it's tougher on eye positioning than the Endurance and you have to be careful not to get blackouts if you don't wear glasses as the eyecups really need to extend further and could be better a bit wider like those on the Endurance. Super I imagine if you wear glasses. Eye placement with compacts is an important consideration and no use having the clearest glass if they don't line up with your eyes easily. I also find I can hold the 10x25 quite steady, again because I can fit the eyecups easily to my eyes.

3. As clear as the Sapphire 8x43? LOL. No. The Sapphire 8x43 must be one of the clearest bins in existence. I was out with the 10x25 Endurance yesterday evening to give it a try and I was surprised approaching dusk that I was able to watch a flock of Lapwings at distance doing their get ready for bed fly about routine. Basically that sealed their approval for me. I imagine the 8x25 Endurance would be brighter and have a more scenic view but I wanted a compact mainly for distance this time.

At the end of the day I'm sure if you pay more you will get an even clearer compact than the Endurance but useability is a big part also and I think the Endurance is a well set up bin apart from the focus is a bit stiff but mine is new and I don't notice it in trance mode8-P

I had sort of thought to mention it to you in your classified thread but I thought better not. I was thinking you could maybe have kept the Sapphire and got one of these also and maybe later looked for a better small bin but to be honest the Endurance is well good enough and it even looks nice with the leather and it's very light. Funny my RSPB 8x20 HD is slightly more compact but feels heavier and I think the Zeiss is heavier again.

There is even a 10x25 Endurance on auction currently but I'd really recommend buying a new one directly from Hawke with the 10 year warranty just in case although Hawke were great in offering me a new one at reduced price after I made the mistake of buying a used one with bad focus and I'm sure they would help anyone out. Their bins can have issues but as has often been said their service is really good.

I'm normally an 8x user so I was surprised that I got on with these little 10x Endurance but they seem to suit very well for my cycling when I need something compact and for some distance viewing but I am awaiting an 8x22U Visionary reverse porro (165gram) and I may bring that also if it's any good. I also have a 8x25 Viking Vistron which is great also and the RSPB 8x20 is very good over distance as well but unfortunately I can't spring for a Zeiss to try but I saw them on sale for just over £200. I don't think I like the blue plastic bits. I'll stick with my stealth black Hawke.;) for the next tens years.

If you do sell the Sapphire maybe go for a Doctor 8x21 or 10x25. I've never tried one but they do look intriguing although getting kind of as heavy as a Nikon M7 which is another great bin I have but I find I like this Endurance 10x for compactness and lightness over the M7 10x30 but the M7 is kind of and incredibly large view. Can even seem larger than the 8x43 Sapphire but obviously not as wide fov or as bright/sharp etc.

Binastro has the Doctor 10x25 and seems to approve of it so ask him for more info but the Endurance is definitely good and much lighter than the Doctor. Depends on your budget but the Endurance is a very good buy in my book just make sure Hawke sort you with one were everything works properly so maybe best probably buying directly from them and get the cool new logo as well. Try and find out more about the Zeiss also maybe.

I couldn't sell my Sapphire 8x43. It has that something special and even if I only use it occasionally, it's sort of a special treat. If I couldn't walk I still think I'd keep it and just use it in hides or such. I basically prefer smaller bins but I do like to have at least one full size bin and my Sapphire does the job most admirably.

Couple more thoughts on the Endurance. The ocular lenses are good. Flat to the edge view. No unusual glare problems encountered either. I think I have 11 bins now so not much point in asking me to select one bin for you but the Endurance is definitely going to be one my regular bring alongs. The 8x bins are a nicer looking view but this little 10x can transport you into the distance were the 8x cannot. I never even considered a 10x25 as an option because for a start they are more difficult to get the focusers accurate enough to work and at low price you could never expect to get anything to be really considered useful and effective but nowadays with the glass and coatings improvements I think this has changed and this Endurance has made me a convert to accepting 10x25's and that's the main reason I like it.

Edit:Just received the Visionary 8x22U. All of over the internet these are good bla bla bla. BS. A lot of crap written online. They are light but so is nothingness. They sure aren't Endurance 10x25 level. Even the Carson 7x18 is clearer and sharper.

Last edited:
Clive, I don't know where to begin in thanking you for all this valuable information, you really do know your bins.
I must admit when I tried the Terra 8x25's on Sunday, I wasn't blown away but the guy who was assisting was adamant that they are the bees knees of compacts but at £240 ish they should be decent really. I actually went to try the Sapphire ED 8x25 but despite saying they were in stock on the Internet, guess what, they hadn't any in stock!
When I stumbled upon your review of the Endurance PC 10x25 yesterday, my eyes lit up as a couple of places are selling them at £74, almost disposable at the price!
I must say that I was more than impressed by the Sapphire 8x43's, I had the older 8x42 closed hinge version before and they were excellent but these are amazing as you say.
Maybe I should reconsider my decision to sell them and just add the Endurance 10x25 as well then at least I have both options, if I don't feel too good take the compacts but if I'm ok, stay with the 8x43's.
I had one person say they were buying the Sapphires from me but despite 3 pm's I've heard nothing since so if I don't hear back today, I think I'll keep them and spend a mere £74.
As you say Hawke's after sales is terrific so if there was a problem with them, I'm sure they would rectify it.
I once bought a secondhand Hawke scope from London Camera Exchage and there was a problem attaching an eyepiece adaptor as the original owner has cross threaded the fixing but Hawke offered to sort it which they did, they replaced it with a brand new eyepiece free of charge and returned it again free of charge. I couldn't believe how great they were and I've made sure everyone knows ever since.
Thank you once again for your help, I'm happy with my decision - I just hope the prospective buyer doesn't pay me today now!
Chris

Clive, I don't know where to begin in thanking you for all this valuable information, you really do know your bins.
I must admit when I tried the Terra 8x25's on Sunday, I wasn't blown away but the guy who was assisting was adamant that they are the bees knees of compacts but at £240 ish they should be decent really. I actually went to try the Sapphire ED 8x25 but despite saying they were in stock on the Internet, guess what, they hadn't any in stock!
When I stumbled upon your review of the Endurance PC 10x25 yesterday, my eyes lit up as a couple of places are selling them at £74, almost disposable at the price!
I must say that I was more than impressed by the Sapphire 8x43's, I had the older 8x42 closed hinge version before and they were excellent but these are amazing as you say.
Maybe I should reconsider my decision to sell them and just add the Endurance 10x25 as well then at least I have both options, if I don't feel too good take the compacts but if I'm ok, stay with the 8x43's.
I had one person say they were buying the Sapphires from me but despite 3 pm's I've heard nothing since so if I don't hear back today, I think I'll keep them and spend a mere £74.
As you say Hawke's after sales is terrific so if there was a problem with them, I'm sure they would rectify it.
I once bought a secondhand Hawke scope from London Camera Exchage and there was a problem attaching an eyepiece adaptor as the original owner has cross threaded the fixing but Hawke offered to sort it which they did, they replaced it with a brand new eyepiece free of charge and returned it again free of charge. I couldn't believe how great they were and I've made sure everyone knows ever since.
Thank you once again for your help, I'm happy with my decision - I just hope the prospective buyer doesn't pay me today now!
Chris

I'm glad you didn't think my suggestion ridiculous. The Endurance are definitely useful and effective and you would still have your superb reference bin but then ultimately you must decide yourself. It will sort itself out so don't panic.

Just saw that deal at Wex. Amazing indeed. Don't think that stock will last to long. Better be quick perhaps especially I suppose that now we've mentioned it lol ;)

Last edited:
I'm glad you didn't think my suggestion ridiculous. The Endurance are definitely useful and effective and you would still have your superb reference bin but then ultimately you must decide yourself. It will sort itself out so don't panic.

Just saw that deal at Wex. Amazing indeed. Don't think that stock will last to long. Better be quick perhaps especially I suppose that now we've mentioned it lol ;)

Already done it lol, thought the same thing! Should be here in a couple of days time so looking forward to owning them alongside the 8x43's. I took them out this afternoon to a local reserve and to be honest they were fine. It's when I have a camera with me as well that I will use the 10x25's, that will help a lot.
Thanks again for your great advice and help, it's appreciated.
Chris

That is an excellent deal on them especially the 10x which is normally the more expensive compared with the 8x which I would now buy if I didn't already have all these others.

Hope they solve your issue and let us know what you make of them after you've had a chance to try them out. It's always good to have a compact bin in any case especially one that does the job.

That is an excellent deal on them especially the 10x which is normally the more expensive compared with the 8x which I would now buy if I didn't already have all these others.

Hope they solve your issue and let us know what you make of them after you've had a chance to try them out. It's always good to have a compact bin in any case especially one that does the job.

Well the 10x25 Endurance PC's arrived this morning and I have to say that I'm impressed.
I took them out to a local reserve this afternoon to give them a good workout and they didn't disappoint at all. Clear, sharp and powerful beyond their size and a surprisingly good fov which is a bonus.
I'm sure they'll do the job I want them for and they fit nicely in the pocket when not in use.
All in all I'd say a great result and I thank you very much for all your help and guidance along the way.
Well done Hawke, another success story but this time in miniature!

Glad they were ok for you and your description is pretty much what I get also.

They do feel as though the useful power to weight ratio is very high and they do pull it off pretty well.

Another addition to your new collection;)

Ops. I see you sold the Sapphire. Well I guess that's some-one else happy but if you had made up your mind then might as well get it over with.

Last edited:
Glad they were ok for you and your description is pretty much what I get also.

They do feel as though the useful power to weight ratio is very high and they do pull it off pretty well.

Another addition to your new collection;)

Ops. I see you sold the Sapphire. Well I guess that's some-one else happy but if you had made up your mind then might as well get it over with.

It wasn't an easy decision to be honest but I decided to let them go and now I've got the compacts, although not the standard of images I got from the Sapphires, I feel they'll be sufficient for my needs for the time being. If my situation changes, I'll just get another pair as I didn't lose a fortune in the end.
Thanks again and 'Viva Hawke!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back