• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope quandry - EDiii v's 50/82 combo (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Evening all. I'm extremely happy with my current set up, I'm lucky enough to have both the ED50 & the ED82 scopes. I use the ED50 a lot (particularly on overseas trips) whilst the bigger scope is perfect for observation of waterbirds, and is optically a match to my friends new Televid 82 and ATS80 HD scopes (to my eyes at least). I love the image quality of Nikon scopes, and they work the best for me.

I've used/owned many of the top scopes previously as funds have allowed, but one of my favourites (and the one that came on most trips) was my old EDii, which I loved, fantastic optics for the price, waterproofing was the only concern, but it never leaked despite use in the tropics and in the depths of a UK winter.

I digress and waffle.

Here is my question: I don't always use a scope when out birding, and often when I take the big scope I end up leaving it in the car as it is an effort to carry. I have no complaints whatsoever regarding the ED50 besides its limitations with regards to magnification.
If you were in my situation would you consider selling both and replacing them with the EDiii? I'm interested to hear comparisons between the three, particularly if anybody has made the switch.
I'm not as poor as I used to be, but I'd rather put the difference between the prices of the scopes towards another period of time in SE Asia than into a Swarovski 65 ;)

Thanks in advance.

Since I never owned an EDIII/EDIIIA, I may not be the person to give advise. But the inherent problem with the scope's center of gravity not aligned with the foot could possibly be annoying. The ED82, as you know, has a fine balance. The EDIII has the same rear parts, but a smaller and lighter objective which causes the lack of balance. Despite this, I might buy an EDIIIA one day, knowing what the 82 and the 50 can achieve.
But if I were you, I'd pick a good backpack to put the ED82 in for the walks. As a bonus, you won't need to worry about lowlifes breaking into your car stealing the scope.

//L

Good points from the Swedish Jury;). I have two ED50's (can't remember why), and a Meopta S2. I understand your question. The small scope covers most bases, the big one does for seawatching. They overlap, and that's where a 60/65mm scope comes in. There are times when I wonder if an EDIII (cracking scope, BTW) wouldn't cover most situations, in one package.
My answer, to myself, is no. It's neither one thing nor the other. It might cover most of the 'middle ground', but there will be times when you need the reach of the Big Gun, like on a dark headland in a NW squall just when a Fea's turns up about 2km away, and other times (like travelling, hiking, etc.) when the ED50 will give you the mobility to cover as much ground as you can in a limited time-frame.
Keep what you have. My two pence/cents.

Keep what you have. My two pence/cents.

Agree entirely.
An EDIII to supplement my ED50 has not been a success. The bigger scope needs a bigger tripod than the Velbon Ultra Maxi that works for the ED50. But once the big Brunton tripod is included, much of the portability of the EDIII is lost, for only modest gains in image brightness and magnification.
Better then a big scope, trading portability for the ease of view and power.

I would say also, keep what you have. I have the ED50 and the ED82. My eyepieces are the zoom and the 30x fixed (on the 82). Many people reckon the latter is one of the best eyepieces ever made. Normally I keep the zoom on the 50 and the 30x on the 82. I find the latter a very good set up for seawatching but I have the option of putting the zoom on the 82 (75x) for really detailed stuff like ring reading (metal and darvic). I have never owned the other scope but I am extremely satisfied with my setup. What eyepieces do you have?

Another vote to keep what you have by all means! I had a both of the Nikon 60 non ED and ED. I wish I had the 82ED. I do have the 50ED and I am amazed by the view for such a light wt. scope.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will keep both in that case. This is now my third ED50, I'm defiantly a fan. The 30x DS is excellent on both scopes, and I think the zoom works well on the ED50. At 16x the little scope is perfect for use in forests, and gives such a great view that you forget about the low magnification, it really is a walk in image. I'm sure one could easily "cope" with just the EDiii, but having both is fantastic, if you shop about you can get this set up for under £1000. I bought the ED82 especially for gulling (previously using an Leica APO77), sadly my local tip has been capped but it was a pleasure to use. With the zoom on you really can pick out minute detail, I think I may even take the bigger scope with me to Canada later this year in order to put it through its paces!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back