• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essential Monterey birding?? (1 Viewer)

Andy Atkinson

Druridge Bayer
Hi all
Hope you can help...
My family and I are in Monterey for 6 days in early August after spending some time in Yosemite and Sequoia parks. We'll be whale watching but I hope to maximise my local birding and try and catch up with butterfly species too.

I'd really welcome any advice about must-see locations at that time of year. I have looked at some websites but you cannot beat local knowledge.
I've birded Texas and the Vancouver areas so have decent experience of North American birds but any local west coast specialities would be great

I know there's a major landslide road closure South of here so not sure if that will hamper visits.

all the best, Andy

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm really impressed with ebird.org. What a great resource - I've already plotted a trip along the Carmel Valley for Mountain Quail among other birds. Whale watching all booked - can't wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back