• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking at buying an older Victory 8x32 T* FL (any recent changes?) (1 Viewer)

Super Dave

Hi Zeiss experts,

I'm looking at buying an excellent condition 8x32 Victory T* FL. Per Zeiss support they were shipped to the dealer in June in 2008 so they are a little older.

Were there any changes in production, design, or coatings between 2008 and now?

Thank you,
Dave

Hi Zeiss experts,

I'm looking at buying an excellent condition 8x32 Victory T* FL. Per Zeiss support they were shipped to the dealer in June in 2008 so they are a little older.

Thank you,
Dave

Hi, Dave,

I'm certain there were changes. Could any mortal perceive the difference? I'm certain they couldn’t. Think about it. If all the changes in optical performance that people like to talk about carried only a ½% improvement per iteration from, say, 1955 until the present, we would be able to see things BEFORE they happen!

Noted optical systems designer Dr. Dick Buchroeder of Optical Design Service of Tucson has been applying a critical eye to Nikon’s $6,000 WX 7x50. The result: while for daytime use better glass types and AR coatings give the WX a SLIGHT edge over an 80-year old US Navy Mk 41 7x50, no improvement was documented over that 80-year old binocular for amateur astronomy.

Go to any binocular forum and you can be immersed in wild speculations about which bino is the best. The fact is that when you are in the realm of a series of binoculars of similar quality, the difference in perceived optical performance is almost always (unless you are Einstein, Superman, or Christ) below the threshold of recognition of those declaring opinion as fact. In addition, one must take into consideration physiological differences of the observers. These may include: early onset glaucoma, cataracts, strabismus, retinal tears and scaring, floaters, macular pucker induced distortion, and other anomalies, as well as photopic vs. scotopic (day or night) vision.

Many of these folks will refer you to a marketer’s sales verbiage, which is often inaccurate, or refer you to myriad tests to prove their point. However, different tests performed at different times with different subjects having different ranges of accommodation for different visual acuities under different conditions will produce different results.

The bottom line: you can get into some interesting conversations that are just as beneficial as a steering wheel on a rock. :cat:

‘Back in my hole now.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi Zeiss experts,

Thank you,
Dave

If the glass is fine optically and mechanically, I'd not worry about it.
Zeiss does not have the Swaro reputation of slipstreaming gradual coating upgrades, so that a more recent glass may be optically a bit better.

Fwiw, I just bought a replacement to my aging Canon 10x42 from B&H in NYC. The serial number indicates the glass is three years old.
Does that matter? Not imho, the producers are not shy about touting the latest and greatest innovations in their wares, so any changes that don't warrant a 'new product' announcement are going to be immaterial.

Hi Zeiss experts,

Thank you,
Dave

I believe that Lotutec was added to the FL in 2007, same time they redesigned the eyecups to have rounded edges. You can see if it has Lotutec by looking for the little crescent above the 32 [as part of the 8x32 script] on the inner bridge underside.

Some have said the colour balance changed a bit from introduction but I have no hands-on experience to back that up.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Please see the attached photo of a possible loose part. Is that normal? Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• Zeiss 8x32 T* FL loose part.jpg
    Zeiss 8x32 T* FL loose part.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 157
I have a pair (10x32) I picked up new (factory demo) a couple months ago. That piece does have a little bit of slop in it and can rotate back and forth about 5 mm.

BTW, I started a nearly identical thread back in September that you may find helpful. Good luck with your purchase. I really enjoy mine!

Please see the attached photo of a possible loose part. Is that normal?

Yes, it is normal for the 8x32 FL, and good number of other binoculars. I call that piece the "sand trap" (don't let it get in there!). Fortunately, it is light enough that it doesn't rattle in normal use, as it does in some other bins.

--AP

Hi
I bought a pair of 8x32 on ebay a few years back. They have lotutec, are bloody excellent and i had them aged by Zeiss off the serial number; turned out to be 2007, so don't worry about it! Slightly blue-ish/purple to the coatings....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back