• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little help if you please : ) (1 Viewer)

I just picked these up and they are a bit different than my Swift Commodores 7X50 & Audubon 8.5X44 models. I'm not at all sure what the Vega means and wonder about their probable age. Any thoughts would be appreciated.Swift.jpg

I just picked these up and they are a bit different than my Swift Commodores 7X50 & Audubon 8.5X44 models. I'm not at all sure what the Vega means and wonder about their probable age. Any thoughts would be appreciated.View attachment 524730

Appears to be 1965 or earlier. Here's a very brief summary. You may want to send Simon S a private message on this forum.

How do they perform?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rdmadison/5959610322/in/set-72157627243943850

Last edited:
I just picked these up and they are a bit different than my Swift Commodores 7X50 & Audubon 8.5X44 models. I'm not at all sure what the Vega means and wonder about their probable age. Any thoughts would be appreciated.View attachment 524730

Your 10x50 Swift Rainier was marketed by Swift and Anderson (S&A) prior to 1959, when Model 765 was sold without the word "Vega" next to the Swift bullseye. An important clue that it was an S&A product is that the ® registration mark is also not included with the bullseye. The 765 was also sold in 1960, after the company changed to Swift Instruments, Inc. and I presume ® was included at that time. I don't know the origin of the word "Vega," but can only assume it was an earlier S&A designation. Sadly, yours is not rare.

Ed

Thanks to you both for your informative replies. I will post an update on my impressions once they arrive. I just started collecting binoculars and am learning so much from this site. I'm very glad I discovered it : ) Thanks again for your help.

Welcome aboard. :t:

Ed

PS. I found the attached Ocala Star-Banner (Florida, USA) ad for Swift-Vega binoculars dated 3/20/57, or two years before Swift & Anderson became Swift Instruments. The 10x50 model isn't mentioned, so it may have been introduced in 1958 or 1959.

Attachments

• Ocala Star-Banner 3:20:57 Swift-Vega ad.jpg
    Ocala Star-Banner 3:20:57 Swift-Vega ad.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back