• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (3 Viewers)

wise words all- I'm learning to LEAVE, but not quite there yet

hopefully this isn't wrecked: now definitely time to move on, if it wasn't already

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_4388 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_4388 copy.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 52
  • q9550cropDSC_4388.jpg
    q9550cropDSC_4388.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 55
Leave it!

The spontaneity in your brushwork is what gives your paintings the unique look that's all your own. Overwork things at your peril!

This is a doozie just as it is

Mike

It's terrific and that little bit of extra work has indeed improved an already excellent piece. Now sir - please can you raise your hands and move away from the painting . . . .

Nicely done. Now step away from the painting, Sir.
*readies taser*

we're gonna be cool

back from my nearly annual nip off to E Europe, with as usual a shockingly unpopulated sketchbook

but I did remember to take paper with me and managed to to apply myself to some Red-footed Falcons: sketches and crayon drawing executed on the spot and then in 3rd attch. stage 1 of a canvas is wetted in, now I am home

I can see that the falcon's head will need to be flipped to look back into the chosen branches

but puzzled as to what I do next with a windswept branchy and leafy bits of the poplar- whether to try and simplify into zones and colours (possibly beyond me), or just dab away until the complexities of leaf and branch emerge

Attachments

• rfoot1 4403.jpg
    rfoot1 4403.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 78
  • rfoot2 4404.jpg
    rfoot2 4404.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 67
  • rfoot3 4401.jpg
    rfoot3 4401.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 67
In the words of Peters and Lee - Welcome Home. Smashing drawings and I'd be tempted to hang the whole canvas on the strength of the sketch 2nd down on the right. Just turn his head to peer at the viewer, keep him in that top lefty bit and Robert is certainly yer Ma's Bro.

I can see that the falcon's head will need to be flipped to look back into the chosen branches

but puzzled as to what I do next with a windswept branchy and leafy bits of the poplar- whether to try and simplify into zones and colours (possibly beyond me), or just dab away until the complexities of leaf and branch emerge

I often find that I'm not all that convinced about planned changes that you mention. So it comes as a great surprise to find that I completely agree with flipping the falcon's head.

As far as the branchy and leafy bits you always seem to find a way, so I'll just count on that happening again. Not that I could begin to offer advice on those bits which are one of my nemeses.

I think the dabbing away suits both you and the subject best. Seems to me that it's easy to overthink these things and end up squishing the spontaneity.

Mike

I often find that I'm not all that convinced about planned changes that you mention. So it comes as a great surprise to find that I completely agree with flipping the falcon's head.

tactfully put- it's safely flipped I think

reflecting on next steps

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_4409 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_4409 copy.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 88
tactfully put- it's safely flipped I think

reflecting on next steps

Looks good Ed. There's a bit of surprise in the pose now. Mike said what I meant far better than I when he mentioned the dangers of overthinking.

Speaking of thinking though I have been thinking about passerines in their normal environment. Most of the time they're alone and often they're framed in a tangle of limbs and leaves. To me this is the hardest composition to do. Unless you stick to a portrait with a vague background you pretty much have to contend with one bird and a bunch of leaves and limbs.

I can never convince myself to delineate each leaf, and probably wouldn't be happy even if I did since that's not how you see the scene in real life. But anything less than that and I always wonder how convincing I've made it. You always seem quite successful with a sort of abstracted version of the leaves and branches.

Not to say that there aren't some people on this forum who blow through these problems as though they don't exist and come up with marvelous paintings along the way.;)

Now I thought the 1st page bottom sketch over the wing pose would be where I would have gone but I love the I've got my eye on something over there pose, its wonderful. Really looking forward to seeing this develope.

had a lost weekend birdpainting wise last week and this week am slightly bogged with the RF Falcon

but I do finally have an item of bird art selected for a juried honour: runner-up in the best home-made mask competition at a charity ball :clap:

Attachments

• q9 550 grb 4422.jpg
    q9 550 grb 4422.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back