• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travels with Mildred (In search of Canis lupus) (1 Viewer)

Are the large sauropods in the same line as the theropods that are now held to lead to birds, or a dead-end branch?

John

They can be in a dead end branch and still in the same phylum as birds, as I understand it. It's not so much about direct descent as belonging to a group with a common ancestor which shares certain characteristics & features, in this case such things as warm-bloodedness (which I think is pretty much universally accepted) and egg laying. If sauropods and theropods were part of the same phylum, and birds' evolution from theropods has not changed them sufficiently to warrant raising them to a seperate phylum then in my very basic lay understanding they're all part of Dinosuaria.

Cheers

James

They can be in a dead end branch and still in the same phylum as birds, as I understand it. It's not so much about direct descent as belonging to a group with a common ancestor which shares certain characteristics & features, in this case such things as warm-bloodedness (which I think is pretty much universally accepted) and egg laying. If sauropods and theropods were part of the same phylum, and birds' evolution from theropods has not changed them sufficiently to warrant raising them to a seperate phylum then in my very basic lay understanding they're all part of Dinosuaria.

Cheers

James

Fair enough. For me these sorts of issues should be considered at the first common level (because otherwise you end up remarking on how dinosaurs are related to mushrooms), and if you can demonstrate linearity under that system then you stop there (so birds back to theropods, job done, stop): but I take your point completely.

A couple of people lately have remarked on my too literal and absence of lateral thinking: must be the lawn ornament in my makeup.

John

No worries. Just so we end up with a consensus. Gonna warn the multitudes of the perils of taking offers from airlines?

John

To cut a long story short I took up US Airways' offer of a $600 voucher in exchange for being bumped. I was thinking of a family trip to California so it seemed a good idea. We were put on a plane to Dublin and there we were meant to get on a BA flight to LHR and boarding passes were issued. Unfortunately when we tried to get on the BA flight we weren't allowed on: US Airways hadn't paid BA! We manged to get on a flight 2 hours later with Air Lingus. Of course when we got to the UK it was anyone's guess where our luggage was. 8 days later, and many calls to an expensive phone line later, it finally turned up. Because we had no idea where it was, I didn't dare risk a planned family trip to the Cotswolds. Even with $600 dollars off I decided that California was just too expensive for next summer's family trip anyway, and US were a long way from being the cheapest airline. Ho hum!

I've just been counting up. I saw 17 new species of mammal. I suspect the only time that I've beat that was on my first trip to South Africa. Also 19 new birds, 4 new herp.s, 5 new butterflies (still some to id), and a new dragonfly. A bloody good trip! And very good fun.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back