• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba, October/November 2014 (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Have recently returned from two amazing weeks in Cuba. Mostly non-birding, but managed to see a decent range of birds, including a good number of endemics. It was with Explore, as part of their “Cuba Libre” tour, which took in the entire length and breadth of the country. Whilst it was mostly non-birding (and thus saw far fewer birds than would have been seen on a dedicated birding trip), there don't seem to be many Cuba trip reports, so I thought I'd put it on here.

So, here we go - birds marked with an asterisk were "lifers" for me:

Havana, 26th October.

During sightseeing around Havana we saw:
Black Vulture – pretty common around central Havana
Turkey Vulture – abundant around Havana and indeed the whole country
*Cuban Blackbird – the first endemic, and proved to be very common around the country, seen pretty much everywhere.
*Red-legged Thrush – first one was seen near our hotel (Hotel Plaza in central Cuba, and proved to be common everywhere)
*Tawny-shouldered Blackbird – several seen in flight at various spots around Havana, and common across most of the country
Smooth-billed Ani – several seen in the suburbs, and common in open areas across the country
Royal Tern – several fishing in the water off Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro
*Common Ground Dove – the first of many seen during the trip was seen on the ground near Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro
*Cuban Emerald – ditto!
American Kestrel – common around Havana and across the country. Confusingly, the Cuban subspecies comes in two colour morphs (dark and white). Saw a dark morph bird on the dot of the “i” in the ‘hasta la Vitoria sempre’ slogan beneath the image of Che in Revolution Square.
*Antillean Palm Swift – several seen around Havana
Palm Warbler – several in Havana and proved to be one of the most abundant species in the country.
Some distant gulls in the harbour were, I think, Laughing Gulls, but too far to identify for sure.
Feral Pigeon, Collared Dove and House Sparrow all common in Havana.

27th October
En route from Havana to Bay of Pigs we saw:
Greater Antillean Grackle – lots, everywhere
White Ibis – c10 seen from the bus whilst crossing Zapata Marshes
Northern Mockingbird – common in open areas throughout the country
Great, Cattle and Snowy Egret – all common
*Loggerhead Kingbird – odd individuals seen throughout the trip. Fairly conspicuous.
Antillean Palm Swift – saw loads of these in a thatched roof by a roadside cafe where we stopped for respite, and was seen periodically throughout.

Playa Giron:
Did my first proper birding in the wooded area just inland from Playa Giron. I saw:
*Cuban Bullfinch – at least two seen well
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher – several seen, but elusive and difficult to keep track of.
*Black-throated Blue Warbler – was delighted when I saw my first of these, a really striking warbler. After a few days they proved so common I was starting to tire of them a little!
*Yellow-throated Warbler – a similar story to the above
*American Redstart – and again. The males are really smart though.
Northern Parula – one seen in mixed warbler flock, and seen regularly throughout
Black and White Warbler – 2 or 3 seen and also seen regularly throughout
*Cuban Pewee – one seen. Very exciting at the time but proved to be quite common
*Cuban Trogon – 2 seen well. Again, very exciting at the time but proved to be common in woodland areas
*Cuban Oriole (the book calls it Black-cowled Oriole) – one pair seen well. Also turned out to be common!
*Western Spindalis (book calls it Stripe-headed Tanager) – two seen well. Seen reasonably regularly throughout the trip.

On the drive from Playa Giron to Cienfuegos I saw:
Smooth-billed Ani, Little Blue Heron, Northern Mockingbird and Red-tailed Hawk.

Driving between Cienfuegos and Trinidad I saw:
Several Brown Pelican and Laughing Gull on the shore near Cienfuegos
White-collared Swift – big flock of them in the mountains approaching Trinidad
*Cuban Crow – at least two seen from the bus approaching Trinidad (another was seen and heard giving its bizarre parrot-like call by our accommodation at Finca Maria Dolores on the outskirts of Trinidad).

28th October
An early morning walk around our accommodation at Finca Maria Dolores, Trinidad, produced:
*West Indian Woodpecker – one seen high in a tree, the first of many
Cuban Crow – several...
Assorted herons on the river included Green Heron, Yellow-crowned Night Heron and Little Blue Heron
Spotted Sandpiper – one on the river
Also: American Redstart, Tawny-shouldered Blackbird, Yellow-throated Warbler, Mourning Dove

In Trinidad town:
In the courtyard of a cafe where we had lunch there were several Cuban Emeralds and one *Cape May Warbler.
Also 1 unidentified large brown swallow/martin (maybe Cuban Martin, but not sure)

Back at Finca Maria Dolores in the afternoon:
Killdeer – one on the river
Pied-billed Grebe – one on the river
Peregrine – one overhead
*Cuban Tody – two of this spectacular looking endemic were seen in trees by the approach road: it proved to be quite common in wooded areas.
*Baltimore Oriole – at least one male seen loosely associating with Cuban and Tawny-shouldered Blackbirds in tall trees in the centre of the cabin complex.
*Northern Crested Caracara – at least two seen distantly, and badly, in flight
Also: Double-crested Cormorant, Moorhen, one Cape May Warbler on approach road, Cuban oriole, Black and White Warbler and American Redstart.

29th October
Today we drove from Trinidad to the Topes de Collantes. Near the Topes de Collantes “reception” I saw a *Great Lizard Cuckoo from our bus.

Whilst exploring the area between the main Topes de Collantes and the Codina Hacienda I saw:
*Cuban Amazon (or “Cuban Parrot) – 2 seen distantly in flight
Cuban Tody and Cuban Trogon – several of each
*Black-throated Green Warbler – one female seen near the spot where everyone except me swam in the cave!
Also Western Spindalis, Cuban Pewee, American Redstart, Black-throated Blue Warbler

Hacienda Codina:
Exploring the area around Hacienda Codina we saw:
*Ruby-throated Hummingbird – one female from the veranda, white tail tips securing the identification, but apparently quite rare in Cuba
*Cuban Green Woodpecker – one individual of this charismatic endemic seen well in trees above the Hacienda
*Scaly-naped Pigeon – one in the same tree as the CBW
Sadly, the cave near the Hacienda didn’t produce the hoped-for Cuban Screech Owl.
Also seen around the Hacienda: Grey Catbird, American Redstart, Cuban Crow, Greater Antillean Grackle, Cuban Trogon, Cuban Oriole, Black-throated Blue and Yellow-throated Warbler, Palm Warbler

In the evening a medium-large dark owl over the Hacienda was, presumably, a *Stygian Owl, but views were not great.

30th October
Early morning birding around the Codina Hacienda produced 2 Scaly-naped Pigeons plus more of the same – Western Spindalis, Cuban Bullfinch, Black and White Warbler, Northern Parula, American Redstart, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Cuban Emerald, plus one juvenile *Blackpoll Warbler which showed well was new.
After breakfast we left the Codina Hacienda and went for a big walk which eventually led us to the Hacienda Guanayara. This produced the sound of a noise *Cuban Pygmy Owl (which we couldn’t see), as well as assorted things we had already seen (including Red-tailed Hawk, Cuban Tody, Cuban Bullfinch, Cuban Trogon etc).

Afternoon exploring around Hacienda Guanayara produced White-winged Dove, West Indian Woodepcker, several Common Yellowthroat and one Louisiana Waterthrush along the river.

31st October

Early morning birding around Hacienda Guanayara produced:
Cuban Parrot – about ten seen reasonably well, if rather distantly, in nearby treetops
Also Cuban Pewee, Loggerhead Kingbird and usual warblers.

On the drive to Sancti Spiritus it was a case of more of the same: White-winged Dove was seen several times, and Eastern Meadowlark was added to the list (and was seen several times in open areas during what remained of the trip).

Between Sancti Spiritus and Camaguey Anhinga and Great Blue Heron were seen from the bus.

1st November

In the morning a tour of Camaguey was quiet for birds, but there were lots of hirundines flying around the church which I couldn’t identify as I lacked binoculars, although they looked like Northern Rough-winged Swallow.

In the afternoon we reached Santo Domingo in the Sierra Maestra mountain range in the far east of Cuba. We arrived into Santo Domingo for proper birding but I did see Osprey, Great Blue Heron and Red-legged Thrush, among other things. A large flock of swifts high overhead were, I think, Black Swifts, but I couldn’t be 100% sure.

2nd November

Santo Domingo, early am:
More of the same – assorted warblers, Cuban Pewee, Loggerhead Kingbird, other stuff. Big bonus was a small group of *Cuban Grassquit, a very welcome endemic feeding on the ground near our accommodation.

A morning walk around Che and Fidel’s hideout (Commandancia La Plata) was quiet in terms of birds, just more of the same (hummingbirds, warblers, pewees, trogons etc).

3rd November

Mostly non-birding around Santiago de Cuba. In the evening we went to Castillo de San Pedro de la Roca near Santiago where we saw 2 Brown Pelican, one Royal Tern and lots of swallows but in the fading light I couldn’t identify them for sure (but their high pitched melodious twittering was distinctive).

4th November

Driving north-west from Santiago de Cuba I was astounded to spot a *Gundlach’s Hawk hunting over bushes in fields by the road about 30km west of Santiago. Not seen for very long but reasonable views of this elusive endemic in the binoculars.

The rest of the long journey west to Santa Clara produced Short-billed Ani, Eastern Meadowlark, egrets, vultures etc, several Crested Caracara.

5th November:

Santa Clara:
1 Peregrine

A long drive from Santa Clara to Viñales produced usual stuff plus one male Northern Harrier and several Crested Caracara.

6th November

The grounds of the Rancho San Vicente Hotel in Viñales were good for birds and before breakfast I saw:
*Red-legged Honeycreeper – one female seen reasonably well loosely associating with some warblers in some trees.
Also one male Black-throated Green Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Cuban Emerald, one Scaly-naped Pigeon, Cuban Pewee etc

Driving from Viñales to the port for the departure to Cayo Levisa I saw Shiny Cowbird, the only one of the trip.

At the port for the boat to Cayo Levisa I saw a whole load of *Yellow-faced Grassquit and we found one Yellow Warbler in the mangroves.

The rest of the day was spent pottering about on Cayo Levisa. This produced:
*Northern Waterthrush – one in the mangroves near the jetty, the supercilium clearly narrow behind the eye (not “flared” like on Louisiana)
Black and White Warbler – at least one in the mangroves
Yellow Warbler – one adult male in the mangroves
Sandwich Tern – 2 or 3 feeding offshore
American Herring Gull – 2 flew along the beach
*Cuban Black-Hawk – one seen reasonably well in a bare tree in the mangroves and heard to give its call (rendered as “ba-ti-sta” in the field guide!). An excellent endemic, recently split from Common Black-hawk.

Whilst waiting for the boat back, we saw at very close range a baffling small dark heron, identical to Green Heron in terms of size and shape, but uniform dark purply green. I was genuinely flummoxed, but a google search when back suggests several records of apparent “dark morph” Green Heron from northern Cuban cayos, see here: http://www.heronconservation.org/resources/1-McLachlan-melanism.pdf. Unfortunately the bird in question slipped into the mangroves before I was able to get a shot.

7th November

In the grounds of the Rancho San Vicente Hotel in Viñales before breakfast I saw 2 Red-legged Honeycreeper (this time including a male), one Black-throated Green Warbler and 5 Scaly-naped Pigeon.

During the morning we did a walk through the Viñales valley which produced:
Lesser Yellowlegs – one on a small pool, which also hosted a peep sp which I couldn’t identify...
Yellow-faced Grassquit – lots in field edges
*Cuban Vireo – finally managed to get good views of one of this endemic, thanks to the eagle eyed observations of two other members of our group!
*Tennessee Warbler – good views of one in a bush. Much brighter green than I had expected!

The return to Havana was bird free, apart from Pied-billed Grebe and American Coot on a roadside lake when approaching Havana.

8th November

During the final day in Havana I saw several Laughing Gull and Royal Tern, and a few unidentified smaller tern species. The final addition to the trip list was a pair of Magnificent Frigatebirds circling over the Avenida del Puerto

Here’s the full list – 84 in total, 39 new for me, 10 endemics, plus a further three species not 100% identified

Magnificent Frigatebird; Brown Pelican; Double-crested Cormorant; Anhinga; Great Blue Heron; Yellow-crowned Night Heron; Great Egret; Snowy Egret; Cattle Egret; Little Blue Heron; Green Heron; White Ibis; Black Vulture; Turkey Vulture; Red-tailed Hawk; Gundlach’s Hawk; Cuban Black-Hawk; Northern Harrier; Osprey; Peregrine; Northern Crested Caracara; American Kestrel; Moorhen; American Coot; Killdeer; Lesser Yellowlegs; Laughing Gull; American Herring Gull; Sandwich Tern; Royal Tern; Mourning Dove; Scaly-naped Pigeon; Feral Pigeon; White-winged Dove; Common Ground Dove; Smooth-billed Ani; Cuban Amazon; Great Lizard-Cuckoo; Antillean Palm Swift; White-collared Swift; Ruby-throated Hummingbird; Cuban Emerald; Cuban Trogon; Cuban Tody; Cuban Pygmy Owl; Stygian Owl; Cuban Green Woodpecker; West Indian Woodpecker; Cuban Pewee; Loggerhead Kingbird; Cuban Vireo; Cuban Crow; Blue-gray Gnatcatcher; Grey Catbird; Red-legged Thrush; Northern Mockingbird; Tennessee Warbler; Yellow Warbler; Cape May Warbler; Black and white Warbler; Blackpoll Warbler; Palm Warbler; Black-throated Blue Warbler; Black-throated Green Warbler; Northern Parula; Yellow-throated Warbler; Common Yellowthroat; Louisiana Waterthrush; Northern Waterthrush; American Redstart; Red-legged Honeycreeper; Western Spindalis; Cuban Grassquit; Yellow-faced Grassquit; Cuban Bullfinch; House Sparrow; Eastern Meadowlark; Shiny Cowbird; Greater Antillean Grackle; Tawny-shouldered Blackbird; Cuban Blackbird; Cuban Oriole; Baltimore Oriole; Collared Dove

Attached pics: Western Spindalis, Cuban Tody, Cuban Trogon, West Indian Woodpecker.

Attachments

• DSCN3470.jpg
    DSCN3470.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN3523.jpg
    DSCN3523.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3588 - Copy [50%].jpg
    DSCN3588 - Copy [50%].jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3626 - Copy [50%].jpg
    DSCN3626 - Copy [50%].jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for the report- it's a wonderful, unspoilt country.

What information do you have about the three unidentified birds?Calls,song,size,habitats etc.

Know what you mean about the Cuban Vireo.Like the very common Black Whiskered Vireo they were numerous but seldom gave great views.
The Cuban Blackhawk you saw, was very common on Cayo Guillermo.They could be seen anywhere including the hotel grounds!

We went to Cuba this Spring[Guardalavaca] and last Spring[Cayo Guillermo] and had a wonderful time.
You can do it the easy way through Thomas Cook package holidays at remarkably decent prices[often cheaper than a holiday in Europe!].

Last edited:
Thanks. As for the three unidentified birds: one peep sp (only had bins, looked like Semi-P but wouldn't put my life on it); swift sp at Santo Domingo - probably Black Swift but ropey views, and a flock of hirundines over Camaguey (no bins, looked like Northern Rough-winged, not 100% sure - didn't see Cuban Martin, think we were too late).

Thank you. Good report. Thinking of going. Did you take a long lens? I have read a few reports of people being hassled if they have a big camera with a long lens. You might be a spy!

Thank you. Good report. Thinking of going. Did you take a long lens? I have read a few reports of people being hassled if they have a big camera with a long lens. You might be a spy!

Not these days!
Very laid back and no hassle when you are out and about.
Thomas Cook do reasonable packages.Cayo Guillermo is wonderful in Spring with 1000's of birds passing through. It is more cut off from the mainland- a 30 miles trip along the causeway.Guardalavaca is actually on the mainland so it is easier to travel around the island from there.

Yes, all pretty hassle free for me, although to be fair I don't have a "long lens" (only a Nikon coolpix superzoom) and I only brought binoculars, didn't bring my scope. There is some top birding to be had on Cuba. However - and I don't wish to moralize! - the holiday was about 50% or slightly more doing cultural stuff, which I don't regret in the slightest (even though it cost me birds!). Cuba is a truly extraordinary place culturally and politically: I appreciate people have different priorities, but I would strongly recommend combining birding with at least a few days of cultural/touristy stuff.

Yes, all pretty hassle free for me, although to be fair I don't have a "long lens" (only a Nikon coolpix superzoom) and I only brought binoculars, didn't bring my scope. There is some top birding to be had on Cuba. However - and I don't wish to moralize! - the holiday was about 50% or slightly more doing cultural stuff, which I don't regret in the slightest (even though it cost me birds!). Cuba is a truly extraordinary place culturally and politically: I appreciate people have different priorities, but I would strongly recommend combining birding with at least a few days of cultural/touristy stuff.

Have to agree.
We visited a local village shop.Each customer has to have their ration book stamped.The portions of food are not great.
There is a parity of wages, so a highly responsible job will pay the same as a much less onerous employment.
They are allowed to run small private businesses so you might find a qualified Doctor running a taxi business to supplement their income.
A big priority is good healthcare for all.
The tourist trade is really helping the locals.Most of the resort hotels are All Inclusive but when they built the hotels they also erected small nearby settlements with decent houses,schools and a shop.
Hotel employees are entitled to love in these houses in return for 12% of their salary.After 15 years they then own their homes outright.
So apart from providing employment they are also being housed as well. The birdwatching and the scenery is wonderful too!

I just purchased a couple of tourist books and a bird book of Cuba a couple of weeks ago. Not sure when I am going yet but it is high on my list. Thanks for the info.

Thank You very much for the report.
Seems a very nice country.
I think about beach holiday and visited natioanl parcs.

If you are thinking of a beach holiday you will find Cayo Guillermo hard to beat especially during migration time.The only drawback is its distance from the mainland.
If you want to be on the mainland Guardalavaca is better although there are a lot less birds in the hotel proximity.

Cayo Guillermo looks very nice.
I though about February, not sure im migration time already starts.
Better is maybe march ?

March would be better.Lots of American birds stop off there.Avoid the Easter break if possible as it might be busy there.
The advantage of Cayo Guillermo is that the hotels are all surrounded by lagoons which are full of birds.The Sol Cayo Guillermo is probably the best because you are at the end of the hotels so you can walk north west into some great bird habitats.
The disadvantage:you are over 40 miles from the mainland only reached by a huge causeway.
There is a hop- on hop- off bus which goes to Cayo Coco,a larger island with much more woodland and forests for Cuban Tody and other birds.
I have pasted my report to give you some idea about the sort of birds you might see.

Cayo Guillermo - Cuba

If you want a relaxing holiday with brilliant birdwatching at the hotel, or nearby, then the Sol Cayo Guillermo might fit the bill. If you haven't been to Cuba before then I can highly recommend it. Its hassle free. Nobody bothers you when you are out and about and the people are very laid back and friendly.

The main birds which are in vast numbers are the herons, egrets and waders. There are always some Turkey Vultures hovering around and Common Black Hawk were seen very regulary. The three main Warblers were Common Yellowthroat, Prairie Warbler and Palm Warbler. All are easy to see amongst the vegetation. Cuban Emerald are everywhere. The Grackles are never far away and seldom stop calling out. There were 42 species in the hotel alone and I managed 31 lifers. This wasn't bad considering I've been to the Carribean and North America before.

I used the Helm Bird Guide to the West Indies. It does a good job although there has been some change to the status of some birds. Stayed from 5/4/2013 to 12/4/2013

Cayo Guillermo

A small island only 18 square kilometres but around 85% is mangrove forest,lagoons and swamps. There are just 4 hotels on the island.

The Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel

A typical Cuban AI hotel well landscaped with 1000's of plants and trees. It borders a huge mangrove lagoon and also the sea and beach. Great food and drinks package and a pleasant friendly atmosphere.

Getting around.

An open top bus plies it's trade between Cayo Coco across the causeway, past all the Cayo Guillermo hotels to the end of the island at Playa Pilar. Return costs are $5 return. Otherwise you can easily walk to any of the places I have mentioned apart from Playa Pilar.

Playa Pilar

A dream Carribean beach at the western end of the island. From the bus stop and car park head west to Zona La Punta an idyllic area far from the sunbeds. The star bird was a Black Skimmer sitting with the Laughing Gulls at Zona La Punta.. I didn't expect to see it as it was described as a rarity.

At Zona La Punta I saw 2 Frigatebirds, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, White Ibis,10 Royal Tern, Double Crested Cormorant, Spotted Sandpiper and several Pelican. A flowering cactus attracted 3 Cuban Emeralds, a Cape May Warbler, a Parula and a Prairie Warbler. If you see a flowering cactus its well worth having a good look.

Along the sandy track to Zona La Punta an Eastern Wood Pewee appeared along with a Crescent Eyed Pewee. The area around the car park and boardwalk was great for birds. They included 4 grounded Turkey Vulture, Northern Parula, Prairie Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Cuban Emerald, Gray Kingbird, Greater Antillean Grackle, Crescent-eyed Pewee, Northern Mockingbird, Zenaida Dove and my first Cuban Bullfinch.

The Punta Playuela Track

Every time a took this walk something new turned up. From the northern path along the Sol Cayo Guillermo lagoon keep on going north west keeping the sea to your right.

Just before you reach the deserted beach there is a rough track to your left marked by a wind blown wooden parasol. This track soon comes to a dead end but it was a great little area for birds. After pishing about a little, a Gray Catbird appeared momentarily. This was my 650th lifer so another milestone passed. My first and only Cuban Gnatcatcher was here along with an Oriente Warbler which was my sole sighting. There was also an American Redstart among the coastal scrub as well as the common Prairie Warbler and Palm Warbler. Two White-winged Doves were always about along with some Mourning Doves. Two American Oystercatchers were on the rocks before the beach-apparantly a first for the island!
The seaweed strewn beach was wonderful. The All Inclusive crowd seldom ventured this far and we usually had the beach to ourselves. The main attraction were two Piping Plovers which were not only supposed to be rare but also endangered. They were here every day with two Wilson's Plovers. Other birds seen here were several Turnstone, a Spotted Sandpiper and 3 Sanderling. A Red-breasted Merganser put in a cameo appearance one morning. There was a Semipalmated Plover present on one morning,Common Black Hawk was regular along with Turkey Vulture, Pelican, Royal Tern and Laughing Gull.

The Cayo Guillermo Lagoons

As you enter the Cayo there are lagoons on both sides of the road all the way to Playa Pliar about 8 kilometres away.
The big attraction was Flamingo Lagoon, the second lagoon on your right as you head west. There were at least 50 Flamingos most days. The rest of the lagoon and muddy edges was teeming with birds including Great Egret, White Ibis, Tri-coloured Heron, Green Heron, scores of Least Sandpiper, as well as Lesser Yellowlegs, Short-billed Dowitcher, Willet, Stilt Sandpiper, Black-bellied Plover, two Semiplamated Sandpiper, Killdeer, Blue-winged Teal, Common Moorhen, Barn Swallow and Laughing Gull.

The usual Common Black Hawk was seen and a Crested Caracas was reported to be further down the road one day. A Palm Warbler and Yellow Warbler were seen in the bushes. I saw an American Crow one morning which surprised me since it wasn't even mentioned in the Helm Guide. All the lagoons were worth checking as the situation changed from day to day.

The Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel Lagoon

This was the last productive lagoon as you travel west. It is the only one not viewable from the main road but the public can access the northern track. Just turn right past the power station and take the sandy track till you turn right to walk along the northern track. All the birds mentioned can be seen from this area or anywhere from the hotel grounds where they meet the lagoon. Sadly the hotel removed the resident crocodile in case it went all inclusive and ate a guest. Health and Safety gone mad if you ask me.

It was the only lagoon where I saw the Roseate Spoonbill.

I recorded: Flamingo, Roseate Spoonbill [6 maximum], Green Heron, Snowy Egret, White Ibis, Little Blue Heron, Reddish Egret, Stilt Sandpiper, Cattle Egret, Great Blue Heron, Killdeer, Least Sandpiper [maximum6], Semipalmated Plover, Turnstone,S potted Sandpiper, Royal Tern [10 maximum] Frigatebird, Double-crested Cormorant, Laughing Gull, Turkey Vulture, Common Black Hawk,

The Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel Grounds

The four hotels on the island a very similar. There were lots of plants, trees and lawned areas as well as the extensive beach area. Apart from the birds in the abovementioned Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel lagoon I spotted the following from the rest of the hotel: Laughing Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Frigatebird, Pelican, Turkey Vulture, Common Black Hawk, Cuban Green Woodpecker, Crescent-eyed Pewee, Cuban Emerald, Prairie Warbler, Northern Parula, Common Yellowthroat, Palm Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Mockingbird, American Redstart, White-winged Dove, Ground Dove, Mourning Dove, Eleinda Dove, Greater Antillean Grackle, American Kestrel, Collared Dove, Loggerhead Kingbird, Northern Waterthrush, House Sparrow.

Last edited:
Thank You very much for information.

Which books You used for birding ?
I found Helm Field Guide released 2000 and A Birdwatchers' Guide to Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico and the Caymans (Prion Birdwatchers' Guide Series) released 2009.

I found Helm Field Guide released 2000 and A Birdwatchers' Guide to Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico and the Caymans (Prion Birdwatchers' Guide Series) released 2009.

I used the Helm Guide to the Birds Of The West Indies which is probably similar.
Birdwatching is not difficult in Cuba.A handy book such as Helm and some prior listening to the Xeno-Canto bird songs and calls helps-especially for birds such as the repetitive Black-Whiskered Vireo, the 'machine gun' sound of the Cuba Tody and the ascending ka,ka.ka.ka.ka... of the Hispanolian Lizard Cuckoo.

If you also enjoy beaches you will find it hard to better the beach in front of the four Cayo Guillermo hotels[Google it].

The bird guides on Cayo Coko and elsewhere told me that all of the Blackhawks on there have now been determined to be Cuban with common Blackhawk being a very rare transient. That was one removed from my list! The major differences observed between the birds that we saw was solely due to them being immatures.

I had no problem bringing a 200-400 lens and camera through Havana airport but did get held up be an hour thanks to carrying a 'scope.

The Prion book you mention is a "where to find" type book by Kirwan, Kirkconnell and Flieg. I have used it in Dominican Republic and was quite happy with it.

The general Caribbean field guide by Raffaele et al is good. This one is the only alternative I have heard about, and I do not have a copy: http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-B...&qid=1418864347&sr=8-1&keywords=birds+of+cuba

Niels

Hi Tom

I don't know if I mentioned but I have made two trips to Cuba, lovely country, we have two Cuban geologists who work in our department, should I ask them about birding type people in cuba for you. We are thinking of Cuba as my wife has not been there and in my opinión Havana is the Pearl of the Carribbean. Let me know your timing, so perhaps we could hook up?

Brian

Brain,
Not sure yet if or when I will go. I have a medical problem to clear up first. I hope to go about mid to end February but won' know for sure until about mid January. I could go in March or April I guess. Want to go before summer. I guess it is easy to make last-minute plans as we don't need a visa or any special preparation. Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back