• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x50 vs 8x42 astronomy (1 Viewer)

. Hi Jake21,
. It depends how dark your viewing location is, and how large your pupils are, which is partly dictated by age, but is fairly easily measured by a friend.
It also depends on the quality of the binocular and also whether the prisms or internals of the binocular vignet the light beam.
The real field of view is also important, as is the transmission of the binocular.

The real test, though, is to try each of them and see which you prefer.

I use various sizes at night, depending on conditions.

7x50 can produce some very sharp pinpoints, even with poor grey levels in the night sky,
has less shake, and it's very easy on eye placement. It helps you deal with difficult
conditions. As the sky darkens and has better quality to it,
it's hard to resist the urge to see more subtle details, and 8x42 becomes more attractive.
I usually use 10x50, but always with a lounge or tilted board to lay back on.
Looking almost straight up from standing is stressful and can increase shake.

I will only own a 7x50 and 8x42 for a while. Out of the two, which should I use and why?

Definitely the 8x42! Almost as easy to hold still as 7x50, and it often has a much bigger field of view (and of course, a bit more magnification)! I own the Zeiss SF 8x42, which has a 148m@1000m FOV and 64 degrees AFOV, making them great for casual astronomy! I find the 10x50 to be too difficult to hold still to be satisfying for astro without stabilisation.

Also, I have to add that the 8x42 is more of an allrounder, and useful for other applications as well, like birdwatching. ;)

HN

Take 'em both out and see which one works better for you.

I agree-what I may think, or other posters may think,
are not near as important as what you think.
Many factors are involved
-opinions,
-optics,
-seeing conditions,
-your ergonomics
-other unknown issues
Our opinions are based on our personal preferences or common knowledge,
both may be wrong or just wrong for you.

edj

. Hi Jake21,
. It depends how dark your viewing location is, and how large your pupils are, which is partly dictated by age, but is fairly easily measured by a friend.
It also depends on the quality of the binocular and also whether the prisms or internals of the binocular vignet the light beam.
The real field of view is also important, as is the transmission of the binocular.

The real test, though, is to try each of them and see which you prefer.

To be more specific, its a nikon aculon 7x50 and a nikon monarch 5 8x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back