• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 10X50 HD Plus VS Swarovski SV 10X42. (1 Viewer)

GLOBETROTTER

The new Ultravid 10x50 HD Plus vs swarovski SV 10X42.

Hi Guys.

After a month waiting since I made the reservation finally the binoculars come.

I place my order on 29/07/2015 and in the Leica box the date of manufacture at least the silver box was on 27/07/2015.

What to say about the ultravids everything has been said about these binoculars and the new versión from outside still the same just the HD logo is painted in red instead White in the non plus versions.

According to Leica the main difference is the use of HT glass for the prims who increaased light trasmission in the blue and violet bands and the new Plasma coatings called hight temperatura plasma process .

This coatings are darker than previous ones and still mainly Green and reflects less light than previous ones.

Inside the bins have like Kife edge bafles at least one can be seen clearly and them the inside is reduced in diameter in a couple of stages for sure there are measures to prevent stray light.

Is amazing how dark the inside looks and the attention to detail that the manufacturer has put into the design and finish of this binocular even the screws are dark painted so is clear that Leica from the scratch want to offer a perfect binocular because everything is fine……no weak points just perfect.

As a Leica product this binocular EXUDE quality from inside to outside, looking with a torch inside i can not see dust or scratch in the optics just like a jewelry product just perfect.

THE VIEW.

Back to reality in real life this Leica ultravid still a Leica ultravid, i found it very bright with almost the same color signature, contrasty with very saturated colors that i like it .

I found it better balanced than on my previous 8x42 BL but still a very contrasty binoculars with amazing resolution,sharpness, nicrocontrast and easy view.

The binocular is able to enhance fine details and the texture of Wall of buildings in and amazing way clearly better than the swarovskis.

The resolution is the same just hand held view that the SV with a warmer color cast, the SV that is a very neutral binoculars looks cold when just leave the leica to look thru the swaro.

Trasparency is equal, also at the same level of Zeiss SF not a big surprise the three manufactures uses the best and latest technology on glass and coatings but there is something to notice.

The trasparency maybe looks better on the swaro just because his view is not so saturated and warm……….just it looks like less glass influence with it but is a consecuence of different color cast.

CA yes the big question……better on Swarovski but not by much, on leicas a precise eye placemet is needed to get the best of this binoculars, not a difficult task the eyepiece cups are nicely desing and the best position is easily found.

Anyway i tryed on the store this 10x50 VS an Ultravid plus 10x42 and CA correction is better in the big model is a less committed desing with a longer focal lenght in fact the Zeiss SF has 174 mm long vs 178mm the Leicas.

The HD plus is and evolution of previous model is still the same optical desing in essence they improve coating and glass to improve transmisión because was the weak point of this binoculars against competency.

Leica It is a manufacturer that has very clear what he wants in Sport optics or camera and lenses desing his camera lenses has a look a sharpness microcontrast and 3D effect that make a true LEGEND a leica signature on the pictures taken with leica glass who becomes the most desirable lenes in the world.

Some of this optical signature and philosophy is transfer on their binoculars they dont try to compete with Zeiss or Swaro they have his own desing and they keep it.

Who is the best ?????

For me a direct competition among the Zeiss, leicas and Swaros has no sense at all because they have different desings.

Leica is Leica is you like it take it if not leave it. Leica view microcontrast and ultra Sharp view with a studied distortion to make the view alive.

Zeiss……all about light transmission…..to bright for me during daytime..amazing in low light or cloudy days

Swaro SV the best balanced one with flat field Sharp to the edge and neutral view maybe a Little bit flat view due to the lack of field cuvature….just a perfect view in front of you.

Market is there…..you choose.

All the best.

Globetrotter,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about these two quality instruments, sounds like they each have their own superlative qualities. I've been looking into getting a 10 x 50 binocular myself, and was curious if you or anyone else here on the forum has been able to compare the Leica HD + 10 x 50 with the Swarovski SV 10 x 50 or if you have tried out the Vortex Razor HD 10 x 50.
I was able to try out the Swarovski SV 10 x 50 briefly but have not had a chance to try out the others. As a big fan of binoculars with ~ 5 mm exit pupils I've been looking into getting a 10 x 50 to compliment my 8 x 42. It seems to me from what I've read the Swarovski and the Leica share a lot of the same specifications (similar FOV, weight, close focus, etc.) I'm guessing the Leica is not as comfortable to hold for longer periods since it's not an open bridge design but since I've never tried it I don't really know. I was also curious what any of you thought about the Vortex Razor HD 10 x 50. I'm sure in comparison to the SV optically it's not quite as good and the FOV is significantly smaller than both the SV and Ultravid. Spec wise the one advantage it does seem to have however is weight (about 7 oz lighter than the SV and Ultravid). I've noticed some people have said that additional weight is actually a positive rather than a negative attribute with higher magnification binos since it can aid in keeping the binocular more steady. Perhaps the Razor is also harder to keep steady since it's lighter and/or doesn't have the open bridge design? Price wise you can basically buy 2 Razor's for the price of 1 SV or Ultravid, so was also curious if the doubling in price is well justified (warranties for Swarovski and Vortex both seem decent, Leica supposedly getting better but not great).

Thanks for the very nice review and comparisons, GB! :t:

I would love to directly compare the Leica 10x50 UVHD+ with the Swaro EL 10x50 SV...that would be very interesting! I have compared these 2 in the 10x42's, so I imagine the Leica 10x50's vs Swaro 10x50's would still display more saturated colors!?

Ted

The new Ultravid 10x50 HD Plus vs swarovski SV 10X42.

Hi Guys.

After a month waiting since I made the reservation finally the binoculars come.

I place my order on 29/07/2015 and in the Leica box the date of manufacture at least the silver box was on 27/07/2015.

What to say about the ultravids everything has been said about these binoculars and the new versión from outside still the same just the HD logo is painted in red instead White in the non plus versions.

According to Leica the main difference is the use of HT glass for the prims who increaased light trasmission in the blue and violet bands and the new Plasma coatings called hight temperatura plasma process .

This coatings are darker than previous ones and still mainly Green and reflects less light than previous ones.

Inside the bins have like Kife edge bafles at least one can be seen clearly and them the inside is reduced in diameter in a couple of stages for sure there are measures to prevent stray light.

Is amazing how dark the inside looks and the attention to detail that the manufacturer has put into the design and finish of this binocular even the screws are dark painted so is clear that Leica from the scratch want to offer a perfect binocular because everything is fine……no weak points just perfect.

As a Leica product this binocular EXUDE quality from inside to outside, looking with a torch inside i can not see dust or scratch in the optics just like a jewelry product just perfect.

THE VIEW.

Back to reality in real life this Leica ultravid still a Leica ultravid, i found it very bright with almost the same color signature, contrasty with very saturated colors that i like it .

I found it better balanced than on my previous 8x42 BL but still a very contrasty binoculars with amazing resolution,sharpness, nicrocontrast and easy view.

The binocular is able to enhance fine details and the texture of Wall of buildings in and amazing way clearly better than the swarovskis.

The resolution is the same just hand held view that the SV with a warmer color cast, the SV that is a very neutral binoculars looks cold when just leave the leica to look thru the swaro.

Trasparency is equal, also at the same level of Zeiss SF not a big surprise the three manufactures uses the best and latest technology on glass and coatings but there is something to notice.

The trasparency maybe looks better on the swaro just because his view is not so saturated and warm……….just it looks like less glass influence with it but is a consecuence of different color cast.

CA yes the big question……better on Swarovski but not by much, on leicas a precise eye placemet is needed to get the best of this binoculars, not a difficult task the eyepiece cups are nicely desing and the best position is easily found.

Anyway i tryed on the store this 10x50 VS an Ultravid plus 10x42 and CA correction is better in the big model is a less committed desing with a longer focal lenght in fact the Zeiss SF has 174 mm long vs 178mm the Leicas.

The HD plus is and evolution of previous model is still the same optical desing in essence they improve coating and glass to improve transmisión because was the weak point of this binoculars against competency.

Leica It is a manufacturer that has very clear what he wants in Sport optics or camera and lenses desing his camera lenses has a look a sharpness microcontrast and 3D effect that make a true LEGEND a leica signature on the pictures taken with leica glass who becomes the most desirable lenes in the world.

Some of this optical signature and philosophy is transfer on their binoculars they dont try to compete with Zeiss or Swaro they have his own desing and they keep it.

Who is the best ?????

For me a direct competition among the Zeiss, leicas and Swaros has no sense at all because they have different desings.

Leica is Leica is you like it take it if not leave it. Leica view microcontrast and ultra Sharp view with a studied distortion to make the view alive.

Zeiss……all about light transmission…..to bright for me during daytime..amazing in low light or cloudy days

Swaro SV the best balanced one with flat field Sharp to the edge and neutral view maybe a Little bit flat view due to the lack of field cuvature….just a perfect view in front of you.

Market is there…..you choose.

All the best.

I have been using leicas for birding since the eighties
The 10x42 bn , and afterwards the ultravid and uv HD
Recently , i had the occasion to test several bins in a local shop
You cant't deny that the leica is the most stylish and most compact bin of all the alphas !they are sturdy and the focus driive is reliable
If testing the zeiss sf , swarovski el and hd plus in detail and looking and letter boards at 40 yds , the leica image appeared more dull , and less crispy compared with the others, which surprised me.
I was really asthonished about the good weight balance of the zeiss sf , although the subjective quality impression of this bin , is inferior to the leicas
I had a leica 10x 50 uv hd in the past and sold it because , for me it did not give me an added value compared with the 10x42 and the balance was and point of gravity was away from the eye.
My SLc 10x56 on the other hand is far better in balance , although a heavy bin! Contrast and image impression is just georgous
I I would buy a new bin. , right now , i would not choose leica for the optics , but for the compact quality , good focus drive impression
The zeiss sf , focus drive is far better and much smoother , with the new production series at least

I have been using leicas for birding since the eighties
The 10x42 bn , and afterwards the ultravid and uv HD
Recently , i had the occasion to test several bins in a local shop
You cant't deny that the leica is the most stylish and most compact bin of all the alphas !they are sturdy and the focus driive is reliable
If testing the zeiss sf , swarovski el and hd plus in detail and looking and letter boards at 40 yds , the leica image appeared more dull , and less crispy compared with the others, which surprised me.
I was really asthonished about the good weight balance of the zeiss sf , although the subjective quality impression of this bin , is inferior to the leicas
I had a leica 10x 50 uv hd in the past and sold it because , for me it did not give me an added value compared with the 10x42 and the balance was and point of gravity was away from the eye.
My SLc 10x56 on the other hand is far better in balance , although a heavy bin! Contrast and image impression is just georgous
I I would buy a new bin. , right now , i would not choose leica for the optics , but for the compact quality , good focus drive impression
The zeiss sf , focus drive is far better and much smoother , with the new production series at least

What a surprise !!!! Maybe you try a bad sample ?

My Ultravid 10x50 HD Plus is crazy Sharp beyond my eye capability and the tiniest details far away are nicely detailed as it was my previous ultravid 8x42BL.

I have to recognize as well that my SV 10X42 is as sharp as my New Leica in fact i don't have anything to complaint about swarovski....nothing.

And the contrast and magnificent definition of Leica optics always gives to me the easiest view to see distant letters.

If you like the swarovskis more keep it but try again another unit of HD Plus....maybe you will be back home to Weztlar ;)

Globetrotter,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about these two quality instruments, sounds like they each have their own superlative qualities. I've been looking into getting a 10 x 50 binocular myself, and was curious if you or anyone else here on the forum has been able to compare the Leica HD + 10 x 50 with the Swarovski SV 10 x 50 or if you have tried out the Vortex Razor HD 10 x 50.
I was able to try out the Swarovski SV 10 x 50 briefly but have not had a chance to try out the others. As a big fan of binoculars with ~ 5 mm exit pupils I've been looking into getting a 10 x 50 to compliment my 8 x 42. It seems to me from what I've read the Swarovski and the Leica share a lot of the same specifications (similar FOV, weight, close focus, etc.) I'm guessing the Leica is not as comfortable to hold for longer periods since it's not an open bridge design but since I've never tried it I don't really know. I was also curious what any of you thought about the Vortex Razor HD 10 x 50. I'm sure in comparison to the SV optically it's not quite as good and the FOV is significantly smaller than both the SV and Ultravid. Spec wise the one advantage it does seem to have however is weight (about 7 oz lighter than the SV and Ultravid). I've noticed some people have said that additional weight is actually a positive rather than a negative attribute with higher magnification binos since it can aid in keeping the binocular more steady. Perhaps the Razor is also harder to keep steady since it's lighter and/or doesn't have the open bridge design? Price wise you can basically buy 2 Razor's for the price of 1 SV or Ultravid, so was also curious if the doubling in price is well justified (warranties for Swarovski and Vortex both seem decent, Leica supposedly getting better but not great).

Hi Jaymie.

As you say sounds each binocular have their own superlative qualities.

I tried time ago an SV 10X50 and is a marvel but i consider that the Leica view thru this new HD Plus has something special, this Guys are making optics since 150 years ago.

Beside the optical manufacturer CV and history at this level of optics is ridiculous to discuss who is the best, what is good for some is not so good for others.

I would recommended to check this 2 superlative bins by yourself and make you own decision.......is gonna be a pleasure for your eyes :t:

And please try to share your impression here....

All the best.

Thanks for the very nice review and comparisons, GB! :t:

I would love to directly compare the Leica 10x50 UVHD+ with the Swaro EL 10x50 SV...that would be very interesting! I have compared these 2 in the 10x42's, so I imagine the Leica 10x50's vs Swaro 10x50's would still display more saturated colors!?

Ted

Hi Ted.

That is gonna be a nice review is you have the opportunity to check both binos side by side.

I was expecting a little bit less saturated view on 50mm model due to the biggest light capability but is perfectly matched by Leica and for me at least is the same.

Some users say than the swarovski 10x50 has a little bit less saturated view than the 42 mm model, i don't know......

Regards.

wonder if the increased transmission in the blue spectrum have resulted in more CA (longitudinal) for the Leica UV HD plus?

To be honest i had to look for it to see CA on my Leicas they have lateral CA as my SV has but the effect is less pronounced on the swaroskis just a little bit less.

Anyway i am not very good with CA so lets see what the professional reviewers say.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back