• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

monopod, ball head, and adapter recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jake21

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced monopod that is at least 75 inches, ball head, and adapter to use for astronomy?

Last edited:
There are some good ones, but 60-65" is about the limit for all monopods.
I understand the need, for astronomy...but their 'design market' is terrestrial.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced monopod that is at least 75 inches, ball head, and adapter to use for astronomy?
I used the following
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jameshome/sets/72157625644043298
as a guide to my own version. I use the Bogen 322RC2 grip action ball head mounted on a swinging arm (monopod) that's connected to the tripod via the Bogen Super Clamp. Counter weight is required.

The setup produces a rock solid view that opens up a world of objects no handheld binocular will reveal.

Jake, I don't believe that a monopod/ball head combo would be too useful for stargazing, especially as you aim towards objects around the zenith. At those high angles the monopod will tend to get in your way. Nowadays, some stargazers mount their binoculars on "parallelogram" style mounts, because these let the tripods "get out of the way" of the user. But these can be quite pricey, and most people tend to reserve them for larger binoculars for which hand-holding is obviously out of the question.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back