• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Makeshift travel trap? (1 Viewer)

micronesia

I am travelling to Costa Rica next February.
I was hoping to be able to do a bit of mothing at night.
Due to small aircraft for internal flights, weight restriction is important. My camera and binoculars, spare batteries & chargers & bird (& a flora) guide taking up a lot of allowance already.
My idea was to take a small white sheet and illuminate it from underneath. Not so much for trapping as for viewing and photographing.
Has anyone any experience of this sort of set up?
My main hurdle is what type of (lightweight) lighting to use, as I am not experienced with electrics or indeed moth attracting bulbs. My initial idea was to use a bright handheld torch (flashlight). Simple, light with small (AA?) rechargeable batteries.
My other problem is what type of bulb would be in the torch and is it suitable for attracting moths/ insects?
LEDs are obviously bright, but do they attract? What other bulbs are available and are they suitable?
Any thoughts, ideas, or links to suitable torches please.

Costa Rica is so small, why would you need internal flights?

I was there last year and went from Pacific to Caribbean Coast and vice versa on several occasions via car & bus without any problems. (Apart from the traffic congestion in San Jose.)
best regards
Merlin

Hi. I just wanted to re-ignite this thread because I'm interested in the OP too. Anyone with experience of using LED torches and white sheets in this country (UK) or otherwise?

I take a WEMlite bulb, ceramic bulb holder and a good length of flex with me. It's all very light and doesn't take up too much space. My experiments with LED torches have shown them to be a complete waste of time though that was several years ago, they may be better now.

I take a WEMlite bulb, ceramic bulb holder and a good length of flex with me. It's all very light and doesn't take up too much space. My experiments with LED torches have shown them to be a complete waste of time though that was several years ago, they may be better now.

That's probably your best bet but do check voltages - both of your bulb and in Costa Rica.
A new 1w mv LED is being trialled but probably won't be commercially available in time for your trip.

I have used as another person suggested a22wt insect attracting bulb with ceramic holder and a long lead many times in Costa Rica at Monteverdi and other sites with great results many fantastic moths also in Brazil at regua,you need a long lead as you do not know where the nearest socket will be,we stayed in many sites which had balconys overlooking gardens with a external socket ,if you put a lead out a window you may get some very unwelcome visitors biting insects etc so perhaps not a good idea ,we had no problems regarding voltage you need plug adapters American type you need to check ,you will struggle to get them out in the sticks remember you get lots of heavyrain must keep leads etc waterprooth we took a small inverter but never used it

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back