• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visible Migration recording (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Had to be my favourite forms for birding. Peak season for me is just coming into play.

Attachments

• chaffinch.jpg
    chaffinch.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 76
  • brambling.jpg
    brambling.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 59
  • siskin.jpg
    siskin.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 59
  • redwing.jpg
    redwing.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 55
tell me about it, for the first time today I decided not to count the coots hoping for something among them and turned my eyes to the sky. Yesterday, I had a total of about 1000 chaffinches in my records, today, actually bothering to count them, I'm at over 3000! Wish I'd bothered before now.

Funny how Chaffinches reach Cheshire two weeks after peak migration in the Netherlands, whereas Bramblings arrive almost simultaneously.
The number of 30,000 Chaffinches over 30 years shows me just how happy I can be to live on the continent again (where my 1800 Chaffinches last Sunday were fun, but far from spectacular).

Of course you can check http://www.trektellen.nl for all your graphic enjoyment (haha).

Visible migration (vis migging) is something that fascinates me. It's only over the last couple of years or so that I've realised that 'my patch' can be productive. The main birds I see and hear are Hirundines, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, 'alba' Wagtails and Finches.

Like most other birders I'm there for day break and will record everything going through over a roughly 3 hour period. Today though threw me a little. We were participating in our Autumn 10 hour bird count from 09.00-19.00. We were vis migging from 09.00-12.00 and recorded a few Meadow Pipits and 'alba' Wagtails but not in great numbers. There were blue skies so probably the reason little was seen or heard.

But at 16.20 we had a flock of c20 'alba' Wagtails go through. Followed by other smaller flocks including flocks of Meadow Pipits. I've never really seen movement like that so late in the day and sort of makes a mockery of the first few hours after light being the best time.

It might have just been a one off but it certainly puzzled us and makes the whole visible migration thing even more fascinating.

Funny how Chaffinches reach Cheshire two weeks after peak migration in the Netherlands, whereas Bramblings arrive almost simultaneously.
The number of 30,000 Chaffinches over 30 years shows me just how happy I can be to live on the continent again (where my 1800 Chaffinches last Sunday were fun, but far from spectacular).

Of course you can check http://www.trektellen.nl for all your graphic enjoyment (haha).

The Chaffinch peak might be skewed by a 7000 and a 5000 count on 16 and 17th Oct.

Here is another way of looking at it - with average day count on days when the species was recorded. (Chaffinch again)

Plus I noticed that I'd got a decade filter on - so that above was 90s only!

Attachments

• chaffinch.jpg
    chaffinch.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Visible migration (vis migging) is something that fascinates me. It's only over the last couple of years or so that I've realised that 'my patch' can be productive. The main birds I see and hear are Hirundines, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, 'alba' Wagtails and Finches.

Like most other birders I'm there for day break and will record everything going through over a roughly 3 hour period. Today though threw me a little. We were participating in our Autumn 10 hour bird count from 09.00-19.00. We were vis migging from 09.00-12.00 and recorded a few Meadow Pipits and 'alba' Wagtails but not in great numbers. There were blue skies so probably the reason little was seen or heard.

But at 16.20 we had a flock of c20 'alba' Wagtails go through. Followed by other smaller flocks including flocks of Meadow Pipits. I've never really seen movement like that so late in the day and sort of makes a mockery of the first few hours after light being the best time.

It might have just been a one off but it certainly puzzled us and makes the whole visible migration thing even more fascinating.

I find that my inland cheshire patch has a similar pattern in the autumn. You can get good movements quite late after the traditional "3 hours after dawn" peak. Blue skies are not always an issue here tho, recently after a couple of days of poor weather, there was a clear fine morning and everything all of a sudden started moving.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back