• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Salman Rushdie mystery bird (1 Viewer)

I spotted this bird in very interesting BBC documentary The Fatwa, Salman's Story, about Salman Rushdie and the Satanic Verses affair. Soon after the fatwa was announced Rushdie took refuge with friends in rural Wales. The film shows this exotic species in their garden. What is it and what was it doing in the middle of Wales?! It's possible that it's the result of some tricky magical realist editing but not as far as I can see and I don't see why they would have added an ornithological mystery to what is a fairly straight factual documentary. You can see a screenshot here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibisbill/8022918000/in/photostream
but much better to view the view the film here http://tinyurl.com/8g9xyq9
The bird is clearly seen at 21.42. Weird!

A cunning ploy to confuse any fanatics bent on retribution that happen to also have a sideline in twitching.

I guess you could find guys like that in Malaysia. Today on my way back from work I chanced upon a banner denouncing Basseley Nakoula as a "Bustard" :t:

Clearly a female Northern Cardinal. Pyrrhuloxia (Desert Cardinal) would have a yellow bill with a slightly different shape. It's probably stock footage from North America, as they are one of the most well-known backyard bird species here.

Imagine, if news had got out, Salmans horror as he opened his curtains to a camouflage bedecked crowd of 300 steaming muttering twitchers, all with scopes and bins trained his way.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back