• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BB rarities,self/co found ticks (1 Viewer)

Bernie just out of interest, do the rules also allow for self-found.....sole observer/BBRC rejected?

There are no rules in this game Ken,it was to generate a little interest in a lull in the birding period.I presume keeping it accepted records only it makes it a level playing field,but I have a few none accepted ones.A Blyths Reed at Hartlepool,seen by me and another lad,nearing dusk one evening in Sept c 99,not accepted but I still know it was one,seen another since.So fire away Ken.
cheers Bernie

My first self-found BBRC bird was a female Red-footed Falcon at Spurn way back on 23rd May 1973.

In those days you could walk all the way up and down the peninsula without seeing another birder midweek, and I did. When I got back to the Warren I knocked on doors until one was opened by the famous Barry Spence. His response was rather unenthusiastic and doubting but credit to him he went to look for it and sent the record in to BBRC with my name on it.

Steve

stayed at Spurn for 3 days in the late 80s,Log call I'd had a Stonechat by the narrows,I thought they bred there,apparently not,it was a Spurn mega and they all twitched it,amazing log call :t:

My first was Black Kite at Cley 1970 something - I think no 10 (see soooo many now!!!!)
Then a Pallas Warbler,Scarbrough, I think was number 136 (must have been arouind 1980) - doubt still a rarity.

Over here 25th Black Vulture for Pyrenees (midi and Atlantic).

I co-found a Broad-billed Sandpiper at Frampton shore, Glos in June 1991. It remains a County blocker to this day, but I'm not quite sure how there hasn't been another. 20 years!!

Just thought I'd dig this thread out, no-ones has posted her for over a year. With October already underway, I'm sure there'll be plenty to add to the list. Can anyone help contribute? I'll go first, Citrine Wagtail, St Mary's September 2012.

How about this one - self found Sandhill Crane in UK (Loch of Strathbeg) that was not a lifer as had broken my own rule about twitching and gone to see the South Ron bird.

Three confirmed firsts for London..Naumann's Thrush, Olive-backed Pipit, and Blyth's Reed Warbler, also confirmed Richard's Pipit, Red-backed Shrike and (Wryneck imaged only).

Only acute modesty..prevents me from declaring all other non-London records. :)

I too have no idea what 'Wryneck imaged only' means! Presuming that was the Naumann's on a school playing field, thanks are in order.

I have no idea what '(Wryneck imaged only)' means, but presumably it isn't a self-found tick that was a BB rarity.

What it says!....It was imaged..(as proof of finding) by the finder, but wasn't seen by any third parties, due to it's elusiveness and or presumed rapid departure!

Irrespective of it's status regarding any national committee, or indeed ''any'' perceived ''nationally'' lesser rares..like... RBShrike/Wryneck/
Barred Warbler/Yellow-browed/Pallas's Warbler and Scarlet Rosefinch etc...for eg they might be ''ten a penny'' on off-shore isles!..but they achieve ''rare'' status by the respective finders..when found inland..and even rarer from within the ''urban core''.

What it says!....It was imaged..(as proof of finding) by the finder, but wasn't seen by any third parties, due to it's elusiveness and or presumed rapid departure!

Irrespective of it's status regarding any national committee, or indeed ''any'' perceived ''nationally'' lesser rares..like... RBShrike/Wryneck/
Barred Warbler/Yellow-browed/Pallas's Warbler and Scarlet Rosefinch etc...for eg they might be ''ten a penny'' on off-shore isles!..but they achieve ''rare'' status by the respective finders..when found inland..and even rarer from within the ''urban core''.

Ken,

Have you actually read the title of the thread?

Regards,

Stephen

Ken,

Have you actually read the title of the thread?

Regards,

Stephen

I believe I conformed to the thread title with the first three mentioned, and then pushed the boundaries a tad further (which was qualified) Stephen.

I was hoping this post would have included a contribution from yourself..perhaps this might be forthcoming in the near future?

Regards

Ken

I believe I conformed to the thread title with the first three mentioned, and then pushed the boundaries a tad further (which was qualified) Stephen.

I was hoping this post would have included a contribution from yourself..perhaps this might be forthcoming in the near future?

Regards

Ken

You clearly haven't read the thread as well as the title then Ken. And though the post doesn't spell it out, that is the only one of my BBs that was a self-found tick as I had seen all the others previously.

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back