• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critique and suggestions, please (1 Viewer)

GR Triever

This dove was shot in the late evening, using a Zeiss 85T*FL and a Toshiba PDR-4300, from a distance of about 30 yards. The image has been cropped and mildly sharpened in Photoshop 7. As a beginner not only with 'scopes but also with photography in general, I'd appreciate all the help and suggestions I can get.

Thanks everybody,

GR

Attachments

• dove3.jpg
    dove3.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 267
GR Triever said:
This dove was shot in the late evening, using a Zeiss 85T*FL and a Toshiba PDR-4300, from a distance of about 30 yards. The image has been cropped and mildly sharpened in Photoshop 7. As a beginner not only with 'scopes but also with photography in general, I'd appreciate all the help and suggestions I can get.

Thanks everybody,

GR

Lovely 'shot' (did you put it in the pot after you shot it?).

I think it's just a touch oversharpened to my eyes, but apart from that - fine camerawork!

Don't know what else you could do to it except, perhaps, try and blur the upper right side of the photo so it matches the upper left. But I think it's fine the way it is. I believe in the adage "less is more" when it comes to photoshopping images.

For a low light shot, it is done well although, I would agree with both comments here. My first thought was that there was too much sharpening and I don't know whether you tried to clone out something in the upper left hand corner, but it doesn't match the rest of the background.

There is a slight halo around parts of the bird (most obvious on its back, where its dark.) The most common cause of that is too much sharpening, as people have suggested. It's the best way I've found to tell when you've gone too far.

I also agree with the comment about bluring the upper right. My first thought when I saw the picture was that the part just above the birds and going left looks really weird. I would have said it's motion blur, except the upper right doesn't have it. I can't explain that effect... but I don't like it.

The exposure is nice and the colors are good.

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back