• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Tenerife-canary islands (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hello,
in March my girlfriend and me will spend two weeks on Tenerife, in the northern part of the island (exact location not yet settled), But probably a car will be available for us. We would like to see the endemic bird species, but are also interested in the endemic plants and insects. Seabirds are also of interest.

So if anybody has some experience or any good tips, they would be welcome!!
Also any tips on special literature about the endemic animals and plants.

Many thanks in advance,
Jörn

We stayed at Puerto de la Cruz a few years back. A very green and scenic area. We stayed on the western edge close to Lorro Parque whihc ahd a fine selection of birds both captive and native ones attracted to the park.

Thanks Ian, Thanks Ashley!

That helps;

another question: Did you see any feral parrot populations on Tenerife? I heard about Monk Parakeet and Peach-faced Lovebird?

'Bout Loro Parque - a few years ago, the owner was convicted of smuggling some endangered parrots from Brazil (I think it may have been Spix's Macaws?). I wouldn't visit the place.

Michael

You are right, there was something like this. As far as I remember, it was an endangered Amazona species?

About Spix Macaw, I thought all their actions were not illlegal, at least according to the book Spix Macaw by Tony Juniper, but I am not fully sure of that.

Perhaps somebody else knows the full story?

tenerife

Hai Jorn,

I have been there in 2002. I will send you an tripreport of my stay within a week.

It'sa beautiful Island with some nice birding oppertunities!

Loe van Brunschot

Joern,
In June 2002 we saw Monk Parakeets rather easily from the promenade at Playa De Las Americas.
For all other birds you could do worse than follow Tony Clarke's book on Birdwatching in the Canaries. Don't forget that since that book was written Robin, Blue Tit and Kinglet have all been split.

Tenerife Birds

Dear Jorn,

I was on Tenerife May/June 2001. I am afraid that I can't find teh details on a short term. But still, I have the highlights in my memory.

I used "a birdwatchers guide to the canary Islands"by Tony Clarke & Dave Collins. But more yseful to me was the Gostours-guide on the canary Islands. I haven't found my copy back yet. But if I do i'll let you know and will post it to you (will need your adress then of course).

Tenerife was beautifull, and if you keep clear from the busy tourist-centra is a very quit place to spend your holiday. We had a nice house in the inland (south west, in the vicinity of Villaflor). All teh bird-watchinh was done in the west and middle of Tenerife)

Some of the bird-species seen; Hoopoo (daily in the garden), stone-curlew (heard not seen), long-eared owl roost (very nice) tenerife bluetit, goldcrest, madeira-swift, plain swift, swift, yellow-legged gull, spanish sparrow, rock sparrow, Berthelot's pipit, canary (abundant), Bolle's pigeon, Blue chaffinch, tenerife great woodpecker, Sardinian warbler, spectacled warbler and just one very late "baardgrasmus", Tenerife chifchaf and chaffinch and nesting (and hunting) osprey (which were not mentioned in either of the two books, take a long dolphin-tour (very nice! dolphin, pilot whales, seaturtle) which will take you near bay de San Juan, and you have a good chance seeing them along with loads of Kuhl's-shearwaters (we heard them every night, they nested in the baraanca next to our house!). Coolared, turtle dove, rock-pigeon, linnet, corn-bunting, greenfinch, goldfinch (nesting in the frontgarden), blue heron, waterhengrey wagtail, redbreast, buzzard, common raven.

Places to go;
Monte del Agua (Erjos); Laurel forest, look for Bolle's and white-tailed pigeon along with goldcrest, chaffinch etc.
Las Lajs; amazing views of blue chaffinch, great spotted woodpecker, canary. Stay put at a drinking spot near a warden-post (small wooden "box") and you'll be amazed that amidst noisy tenerife-youngsters, drinking and eating (BBQ) people these birds are very tame! A definite must if you're a birdwatcher on Tenerife.
Teide-area, beautiful pine -forest (blue chaffinch) and a stage higher a bizare moon-landscape (Berthelot's pipit).
Punta de Teno; dolphin, raven, songbirds (I didn't see any seabirds here)
Araguayo, santiago del teide, Erjos ponds; songbirds like spectacled warbler, rock-sparrow, lots of canary and linnet, some waders, blue heron, buzzard.
Los Gigantes; had very bad sighthing of Barbary falcon (more of a faint glimpse)

There's nothing more I can recollect at this time, but hope it is of some use and that you'll have as good a time as I had.

Ps: In Los Christianos is a very good restaurant (can't produce the name anymore) In my view the only reason to go to such a place!

Cheers

Hi Joern,

I have visited Playa las americas (teneriffe)several times and when spending time on the beach "Playa del Duce" i daily saw Nanday Conures. 5-10 birds in the palmtres. I will return to Teneriffe in a weeks time and then i will follow some of guidings. It's nice to read through your diary and get inspiration.

/ Fredrik Lennerwald

Hello Fredrik,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. Hope you have a great trip to Tenerife and do let us know how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back