• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (6 Viewers)

Mother is a half-size cross between pure-bred collie and a mishmash of hunting dog. Father looks like pure collie full size. See my local advert below....

Attachments

• bups copy.jpg
    bups copy.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 77
The first 2 little tern chicks hatched this morning. The number of nests has risen to 29, with more birds still digging nest holes and engaging in courtship.

Pallid Swifts

And for anyone interested in a study of identifying Common Swift V Pallid Swift, here's some swift photos I took over there - very difficult birds to photograph. Both swifts breed in the area but most are pallid swifts.

Take a look at the last photo. It is normal for swifts to store food in their crops (under their bills) but this guy really had the full five courses! Looks like he's about to burst.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 76
So many amazing pictures and welcome back Derek. I often wonder do any of you ever get any kind of Woodpeckers in your gardens. Is it difficult to entice them in and what would you do to try and encourage them. I just love the Orchid photo.

Unfortunatly we dont have any Woodpeckers here in Ireland, although I did read somewhere that there were plans to reinstoduce them in Wicklow a few years back but I dont think anything came of it.

Oh dear I hope I am not the only person in Ireland looking out for them................. Its the Daily Mails fault as I collected tokens and got their lovely Bird Dvd and binoculars sent to me last year and the guy called Liam Dale narrating it mentioned rare glimpses of a Green Woodpecker in a country garden. I thought they might be away down South but it would be lovely if someone tried to introduce them here.

Had a really nice morning yesterday down with the Little Terns at Baltray.

A big:t: for the volunteers looking after the nesting area.

Attachments

• Little Tern.jpg
    Little Tern.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Little Tern-2.jpg
    Little Tern-2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Little Tern-4.jpg
    Little Tern-4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 72

Beautiful pictures and a lot of people including myself will lose themselves very happily in your birding blog on rainy days. Thank goodness my new dishwasher arrived today and that means I will have more time to read about The Little Terns who are starting to feel like family. In the meantime I have an invasion of young Blue Tits to look after and fill the feeders again for........... the hungry little boys in grey still with hints of blue appearing now. I have other kinds of young Tits too but definitely a small army of blue.

Beautiful pictures and a lot of people including myself will lose themselves very happily in your birding blog on rainy days. Thank goodness my new dishwasher arrived today and that means I will have more time to read about The Little Terns who are starting to feel like family. In the meantime I have an invasion of young Blue Tits to look after and fill the feeders again for........... the hungry little boys in grey still with hints of blue appearing now. I have other kinds of young Tits too but definitely a small army of blue.

Wonderful photos Pluvius and all kind comments greatly appreciated Pluvius and Dolce. It is the great band of Volunteers that make this project work. All going well so far but with only 1 nest hatched, we have a lot of work ahead ot us. Both hatched chicks seem to be doing well and all nests are intact. Lets hope the weather improves again!!

Little tern and storm petrel now 146.A few pics with new canon ,iceland sunday cruiestown sparrow hawk garden.

Attachments

• IMG_0488_edited.jpg
    IMG_0488_edited.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0921_edited.jpg
    IMG_0921_edited.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0915_edited.jpg
    IMG_0915_edited.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0957_edited.jpg
    IMG_0957_edited.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 61
The Little Tern project in Baltray suffered a blow Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, with 44 eggs being predated.

Our main suspects are gulls. The electric fence was fully functional and there were no signs that it had been breached, plus the way we have the fencing sectioned and the areas where the eggs were taken from would eliminate ground predators as suspects.

The attack must have taken place very early morning, as when the early warden arrived at the beach the damage had already been done. Our volunteer effort cannot stretch to wardening overnight, which would seem to be the only way to elimate these threats, particularly these days when there are so few hours of darkness.

Wardening extended to midnight last night and commenced at 3.30am this morning as a one off to try and see if the predator returned. A fox was seen, but while this is a worry, we're confident that it wasn't the culprit. On the other hand, gull activity began at 4am, with gulls in groups of 4 or 5 making aggressive swoops into the enclosure from time to time. The wardens chased them off and there were no further casualties, but it will be a continuing worry for us if this activity begins at 4am every morning.

We still have 20 eggs and 6 chicks, which, if we can hold on to these, is still an excellent number for Baltray. All the signs yesterday were that the birds are preparing to re-lay, with plenty of courtship going on. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Kingfisher on the Dee this afternoon on Link Road

Well done on the Storm Petrels at Clogher Head Gerry. Nice shots.

County Year List

158 Storm Petrel

Common sand 147 river fane...

Attachments

• IMG_1362_edited.jpg
    IMG_1362_edited.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1394_edited.jpg
    IMG_1394_edited.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1392_edited.jpg
    IMG_1392_edited.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1359_edited.jpg
    IMG_1359_edited.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back