• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

Louth Nature Trust in conjunction with the Spirit Store presents a benefit concert for the Little Tern Conservation Project at Baltray, which will take place in the Spirit Store, George's Quay, Dundalk, on Sunday 6th July 2008.

The concert aims to raise money to cover some of the substantial costs involved with the project.

An eclectic night of music and craic combining the classical talent of Mary Mc Cague and Ciaran Rosney, the traditional arrangements of Patrick Martin and the folksy bluegrass style of The French Fiddles, with surprise special guests throughout the night - all for the benefit of Ireland's rarest breeding seabird, the Little Terns at Baltray, Co Louth.

For further details see www.louthnaturetrust.org/benefit_concert

Tickets are available from the Spirit Store, and can be booked either online, by phoning the Spirit Store, or can be arranged by contacting myself or Breffni.
Really hope to have a good turn out on Sunday night. Cathal has put a fantastic effort into this and it really is for a good cause. Look forward to seeing lots of familiar faces there.

Drove around knockbridge on the way back from Baltray last night looking for quail - no quail but did catch a barn owl (137) in my headlights beside the turn for knockbridge on the ardee road. Counted 114 herring gull, 37 great black backed gulls, 122 oycas, 22 dunlin, 9 turnstone, 17 ringed plover, 15 sandwitch terns, and 15 cormorant along the tideline last night. Also what i thought was a sparrowhawk on the way in, but may well have been that cuckoo that was hanging around. There was a common sandpiper feeding along the shore of the boyne.

Last edited:
Four common sandpipers, a dozen greenshanks and two adult an two juv little egrets in ballymac bay yesterday...no sign of green sandpipers at the "hidden channel"...

Black guillemots at Giles Quay have at least five nests with eggs. Two further nesting holes have evidence of fledged birds (copious droppings inside). A high tide in late june probably flushed out some of the holes so the five are presumably second attempts.

The spring tides have caused a lot of damage at Baltray. We have lost 12 nests over the past 2 nights to the sea. The last of the high spring tides is tonight, thank goodness.
Looking forward to a good night at the Gig in the Spririt Store tonight!!

The spring tides have caused a lot of damage at Baltray. We have lost 12 nests over the past 2 nights to the sea. The last of the high spring tides is tonight, thank goodness.
Just noticing that this time last year we had 13 chicks and had just gotten over a period of high tides...http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=28640&page=37 - as far as i can make out we have at least 17 at the moment. Thinking of little tern ecology, our colony is about 40 pairs, how are they doing? (forgive the back fo envelope maths). Little terns live about 20 years so we would expect a natural attrition of the population of minimum 5% every year. Therefore to maintain the population they need productivity of 5% per year at least ie each pair must produce two breeding adults. To produce two breeding adults they need to fledge 10 in their lifetime (assuming 80% attrition in first year after fledging). That means that just to hold their own each pair needs to be successful one year in every four, or that in a given year that a quarter of birds need to be successful ie 10 out of a colony of 40 or 20 chicks fledged. Last year we had 41 chicks fledged, this year 17 so far and a good chance of more...so they would appear to be well ahead of the game...

iceland gull

Really hope to have a good turn out on Sunday night. Cathal has put a fantastic effort into this and it really is for a good cause. Look forward to seeing lots of familiar faces there.

Iceland gull today Cruiestown strand.

Attachments

• IMG_2101_edited.jpg
    IMG_2101_edited.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2071_edited.jpg
    IMG_2071_edited.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2099_edited.jpg
    IMG_2099_edited.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1666_edited.jpg
    IMG_1666_edited.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1913_edited.jpg
    IMG_1913_edited.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 50
Concert was great - Mary Mc Cague and Ciaran Rosney doing the Rocks o' Bawn really hit the spot! Counted more than 70 people at the end of the night...photos here: http://louthnaturetrust.org/little_tern_2008_blog

It really was an excellent night and a huge thank you is due to Cathal Johnson who more or less single handedly organised the whole thing, a great effort which really paid off and is hugely appreciated.

Thanks to Mark Dearey too for use of the Spirit Store and for donating a hamper of beer for the raffle, and thanks to everyone who turned up and supported it.

A wrecked Juvenile gannet was present in the boyne estuary, west of baltray on Saturday.
1 Puffin and 4 species of tern the best in a brief seawatch off clogherhead.

Owen

Kingfisher on the Ramparts just upstream from the entrance to the brewery and two buzzards in the trees behind the brewery along the railway line tonight.

It really was an excellent night and a huge thank you is due to Cathal Johnson who more or less single handedly organised the whole thing, a great effort which really paid off and is hugely appreciated.

Thanks to Mark Dearey too for use of the Spirit Store and for donating a hamper of beer for the raffle, and thanks to everyone who turned up and supported it.

Just have to add my own comments about Sunday night. It was absolutely fantastic. Great music which was well appreciated by the audience, I was blown away by the high standard of all concerned. Much thanks due to Cathal who organised the whole thing! A few pics to give a flavour of the night.
Pic 1 French Fiddles
Pic 2 Audience
Pic 3 Mary McCague & Ciaran Rosney
Pic 4 Jacque Faure along with Breffni & Michael Holohan

Attachments

• tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 4.JPG
    tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 4.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 62
  • tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 30.JPG
    tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 30.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 57
  • tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 10.JPG
    tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 10.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 58
  • tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 5.JPG
    tn_Benefit Gig Spirit Store 5.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 62
Baltray

I had the 5 Tern species at Baltray today. The first time in 2 years for me.
A lone juv Wheatear on the track beside the Boyne....Autumn has arrived!

my list

147 Roseate Tern

Attachments

• Wheatearjuv.jpg
    Wheatearjuv.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I thought you were in south africa, nice to get the terns, the population around here seems to have collapsed - in the meantime, a few shots from the Maine trip.

Attachments

• yellow warbler 2.jpg
    yellow warbler 2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 50
  • common loons with chick.jpg
    common loons with chick.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 56
  • ovenbird arcadia.jpg
    ovenbird arcadia.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 49
  • american redstart arcadia.jpg
    american redstart arcadia.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 58
  • black throated green warbler arcadia.jpg
    black throated green warbler arcadia.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 53
Great - you didn't notice if it was a male or female? I wonder if there is a pair...

BTW I have one male collie-type puppy left if anybody is interested...

Sorry Breffni, just caught a flash of blue and it disappeared. Vegetation is very dense along the banks so it was a really brief glimpse. Delighted to see them -thats the first one I have seen since I moved into Brook Street seven years ago - perhaps the loss of the trees at the tennis club caused them to move along the river?

Just noticed at least one pair of fulmar nesting in St John's castle in Carlingford!

A few more shots from that Maine trip...

Attachments

• mourning doves.jpg
    mourning doves.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 49
  • american goldfinchs copulating 1.jpg
    american goldfinchs copulating 1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 60
  • american black duck.jpg
    american black duck.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 49
  • yellow warbler male.jpg
    yellow warbler male.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 46
  • american robin.jpg
    american robin.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 49
I believe that they had major losses of chicks over the week-end but I don't have figures, perhaps someone else can help here.
I spoke to them on Monday, they had severe losses and had found a lot of dead chicks but they hadn't completed a full chick count at that stage and didn't know how many they have left.

The latest from Baltray is that 4 more chicks have hatched so we now have 21. This is still an excellent number for Baltray.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back