• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (1 Viewer)

Apparently only 8 pairs left in the Gateshead population. Out of 96 birds released, plus all their offspring over the last 15 years.

Such is the gamekeeper problem in the region.

Apparently only 8 pairs left in the Gateshead population. Out of 96 birds released, plus all their offspring over the last 15 years.

The custodians of the countryside according to Countryfile the last time I watched it, gamekeepers are a disgrace!.

Fortunately there are a few more than 8 but the population is still a worry

The custodians of the countryside according to Countryfile the last time I watched it, gamekeepers are a disgrace!.

I'm the same Keith I used to watch it everyweek but have not since that programme, I nearly put my foot through the telly:C

Yes well let's face it that's just a joke, the situation seems to be getting worse here in our raptor black hole in N.Yorks. Not a record any decent person would be proud of !!

Yes well let's face it that's just a joke, the situation seems to be getting worse here in our raptor black hole in N.Yorks. Not a record any decent person would be proud of !!

It's getting worse everywhere Pete as I'm sure you know. It seems the more people are protesting the worse the persecution is becoming. I'm not sure anything will ever get done about it especially when huge organisations like the natural trust allow grouse shooting and hence raptor killings on their land, It's certainly a very gloomy prospect.

Keeper(s) seen on Yorkshire Moors today, gunshots heard in the vicinity of Hen Harrier and Buzzard.
This and Dannyboys posting do not make good reading.We don't do enough birding on the N.Y.Moors to comment much in that area but in our club recording area of the Nidderdale AONB the situation seems to get worse by the week.

This and Dannyboys posting do not make good reading.We don't do enough birding on the N.Y.Moors to comment much in that area but in our club recording area of the Nidderdale AONB the situation seems to get worse by the week.

It is getting worse everywhere Pete. Another story about a kite being shot on the nest in Yorkshire in the news today today.

Yes that was right on our patch,makes you sick when you think we have probably been watching this same bird.

Pete I know what you mean it does become personal when it is happening to birds you know. Certainly one of our birds which died last year was one known to me as I had monitored it's nest for a couple of years. I also suspect that the last one which had been shot last month was a first year bird from a nest nearby which I had monitored and been present when it was tagged. :C

What kind of Neanderthal sees something as beautiful as that and wants to destroy it?, it's beyond me.
My sentiments entirely Keith,any right minded person would just stand and watch in admiration.Last week we were on holiday in Dumfries and Galloway and saw quite a number of these beauties which are fast becoming my favourite raptor.On a visit to the Cairnsmore of Fleet NNR among other goodies we were watching 2,poss.3, Red Kites just hunting over the in bye fields,just pure magic.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back