• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk for ID Near Lincoln NE (1 Viewer)

The streaking/spotting on the breast and belly, tail pattern (thin light bands and thick dark bands), tail length, and barring on the secondaries make this a young Red-shouldered Hawk. Looks like some of the adult plumage is coming in.

Yeah, that’s going to be a problem! This was to be a Christmas bird count. I will have to send the photos to our authorities!

Thanks!

Our state non-game bird official (from game and parks for NE) has approved the record. I guess there are now two December records. The other one was in Omaha, which is the Western extreme of their nesting records. So only 50 miles away.

Not quite clear where the juveniles end up. The SE corner of Kansas and Southern Missouri are likely wintering areas.

Nothing on Wheeler's range maps in "Raptor's of Western North America" shows Buteo lineatus lineatus; Eastern Red-shouldered Hawks anywhere in Nebraska except along the Missouri River border with Iowa and Missouri. No extralimital records are posted in the state.

Bob

eBird shows 11 locations with Red-shouldered Hawks in Nebraska, away from the eastern border. Most are near Lincoln, 3 are not.

Yes, they are often loud and quite a number have been found in summer, though no proven nest in our county (Lancaster) was found. There is just not a lot of forested land here, whereas there is a lot along the Missouri river.

I should have noted earlier that there are 6 eBird locations that are pretty close to or essentially on the eastern border of Nebraska.

That's a nice find, Tero.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back