• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca in March (1 Viewer)

stevieb

Attempting to put Melksham on the map
Hi,
I am visiting Mallorca for a week over Easter 19-26 Mar. I know this is not the best time to visit the island for birding, but family constraints mean I have no choice! Can anyone be kind enough to let me know what I may expect in the respect of early migrants?
I am staying at Puerto Pollensa and will be birding the Boquer Valley and S'Albufera.
Many thanks
Steve

I went in April 1999 - S'Albufera was alive with birds, and the general birding was fantastic.

Whilst you will be too early for some species such as Eleanora's Falcon and movements of Honey Buzzard I suspect that you'll find the birding excellent.

I've been at Easter several times and never been disappointed. Saying that, the visits when Easter has fallen later in April were slightly better. As Rob says, it's into April before the Eleonoras start to arrive, but there are plenty of other migrants.

I've stayed in Puerto Pollensa each time I've been.

The Boquer usually holds Balearic (Marmora's) warbler, Blue Rock Thrush, booted eagle and possibly Black Vulture (but the moutains are the best bet) also migrating Egyptian vulture and black kite. I've had migrating Rock Thrush on a couple of occasions in front of the Boquer farm. Black-eared wheatear is another possibilty, hoopoe, woodchat shrike, crag martin, wryneck etc.

Bee-eaters should be arriving and Scops owls will be calling.

Audouin's gulls are common along the bay.

S'Albufera should be alive. Great reed warblers and nightingales should be in, cetti's warblers and fan-tailed warblers everywhere and a chance of moustached warbler on the long track running south at the bridge on the way to the visitors' centre.

Red crested pochards in theii hundreds, with a small number of white-headed ducks (I've also seen 3 marbled duck on one visit). Purple gallinules everywhere and there are some crested coots from a release scheme, recognisable by their white plastic collars.

Whiskered terns and gull-billed terns are a possbility.

Raptors - osprey and marsh harrier are bankers.

All the herons/egrets are possible including great white egret. I've heard (but unfortunately didn't see) a booming bittern at S'Albuferetta. The breeding/roosting area at the entrance to S'Albufera usually holds a few squacco herons and night herons amongst the flocks of little and cattle egrets.

Waders include stone curlew, glossy ibis, spotted redshank, little stint, greenshank, black-winged stilt, kentish & little-ringed plovers, etc, etc (but high water levels could reduced wader numbers).

The list is by no means complete. I've not been since 2004, but just writing this makes it seem like yesterday.

If you can get along the Formentor peninsula there's a chance of Cory's and balearic shearwaters.

The bus service is good from Puerto Pollensa to S'Albufera, but if you've got a car then it's worth a trip down to the southern tip of the island and a bit of sea-watching from the point there, combined with a scan of the salt-pans in the nearby salinas.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the prompt replies Rob and Alan,
Sounds like I won't miss too much by being early. My target bird is Black Vulture but White-headed and Marbled Duck would be a 'billy bonus' but either way I hope to come away with a good country list and I'm sure I will. It wont be for the want of trying!
Once again many thanks for the replies.
Steve

If you can get yourself up to the Cuber reservoir you are bound to get black vulture, but I have seen them in the Boquer valley and on the path across to Cala san Vincente. In fact I thought I'd died and gone to heaven the first time I arrived in Puerto Pollensa. It was Easter weekend and we arrived at the hotel late morning. We dropped the bags in the room and went to one of the restaurants opposite the harbour in the town for lunch. I looked up from the table while we were eating a paella and I was treated to the sight of a black vulture overhead, being mobbed by an Audouin's gull that was trying to tweak its primaries.

I've only seen marbled duck there on one occasion and that was in July 2004. We'd taken refuge in the first Bishop Hide from a particulary violent thunderstorm (I saw one lightning bolt come to ground on the marsh between us and the power station). When the rain stopped there were three marbled ducks spashing about and having a bath in the pool in front of the hide. Lifers.

White headed ducks were reintroduced some years ago, but I don't think it was a great success. They are hanging on in small numbers and I've seen them a few times - (Three was the biggest count) - at various points on the Sa Siurana canal (identified on the free map from the visitors' centre) - stand on the bridge on the way to the Bishop hide and look west, or go along to the far end of the path at Can Blau where the road bridge crosses the canal on the park boundary and look east along the canal. In between these two bridges is the tower hide. (the canal is screened from the path by tall reeds).

Alan,
Thanks for all the good gen,

The trip is a week away with my wife who is a total non birder so I will have to confine my birding to 'crack of dawn' starts and back by 11:00! I have a car so no probs nipping out and about.
I intend to alternate morning visits between the Boq Valley and S'Albufera and if I still haven't picked up Black Vulture by 25th then go to Cuber. One over Puerto Pollenca would certainly alleviate any unnecessary stress later in the week! I intend to have my bins round my neck 24/7 and keep my eyes over the mountains when doing the touristy stuff in the afternoons! so fingers crossed.

Just one question. I noticed on some trip reports that the gates that lead to the Boquer Valley are sometimes locked in the early mornings. I guess in March sunrise is around 07:00am. Do you think there will be any problem with access at this time of the morning?

I've never been up that early to find out Steve. I've bowed to domestic pressure and enjoyed a hotel breakfast with my wife before going out when I've been there, so whenever I've been to the Boquer the gate's been open. If the large gates are closed, always remember that there is a smaller pedestrian gate set into them. It may not be locked - I really don't know.

Alan, going out after breakfast would certainly earn me some smartie points. In your opinion is it worth going out at the crack of dawn or is it just as good later on in the morning? I guess more raptors would be about once it's warmed up but I was thinking there may be more disturbance later in the morning. What time did you venture out?

After about 10 the walkers start to appear in larger numbers in the Boquer. This in itself would not be a problem if only they could shut up!

But they can't. The people at the head of the queue have to hold conversations with those at the rear and vice-versa. Even a group of two walkers seems compelled to hold constant conversation at a volume level consistent with a town crier.

It's a wonder that they even notice where they are.

I'd recommend that you try to get there about 8.30 or nine to beat them. Even then you won't have lost much daylight as because of the time zone difference sunrise is later in Spain than it is in the UK in the spring.

Later morning onwards is indeed better for raptors, but for the small stuff (and your own peace of mind) it's better to get there before the chattering hoardes.

PS

S'Albufera also attracts family groups on a Sunday, particularly on the path to the visitor's centre and the area surrounding the centre. They seen to be out for a walk and a chat rather than for any interest in the bird-life.

Last edited:
Looks like I may get a lie in then! If I get there for 08:00 I could walk the valley to the end and hopefully the raptors will be up on my walk back.
Many thanks for all your info Alan, you have been extremely helpful. Just one more question (honest!)
How long do you think it takes to walk the valley, there and back, birding along the way? Obviuosly I know this is dependant on how many stops/birds that are about but just a guesstimate would be good. This would help in giving my ever patient wife some idea when to expect me back each morning!

I'd say give it a couple of hours, more if you stop and scan. I've never really timed it. The whole trip is only about three miles there and back from the new road below the farm and the path is good, so the time you take is entirely dependant on birding stops.

After 10 is premium time for Raptors to start moving about, and you can stumble across Black Vulture anywhere as said above - ifyou've a mountain view from your balcony you've areasonable chance of a balcony tick!

I've only ever seen Marbled Duck early, before the main visitors start arriving - S'Albufera attracts a lot of non birding visditors.

I'd agree with taking the Bocquer slowly, and going to the end - birds can turn up anywhere - and keep an eye up as well as down, I've seen some amazing "kettles" of raptors there passing over silently.

Finally, if you want Marmora's Warbler as was and fail in the Bocquer, try the path east from Cala San Vincente's easterly beach - one of the most reliable sites for this bird.

After 10 is premium time for Raptors to start moving about, and you can stumble across Black Vulture anywhere as said above - ifyou've a mountain view from your balcony you've areasonable chance of a balcony tick!

I've only ever seen Marbled Duck early, before the main visitors start arriving - S'Albufera attracts a lot of non birding visditors.

I'd agree with taking the Bocquer slowly, and going to the end - birds can turn up anywhere - and keep an eye up as well as down, I've seen some amazing "kettles" of raptors there passing over silently.

Finally, if you want Marmora's Warbler as was and fail in the Bocquer, try the path east from Cala San Vincente's easterly beach - one of the most reliable sites for this bird.

I've also had Marmoras on the path up to the top opposite the car-park for the mirador on the Formentor road overlooking Puerto Pollensa (and Dartford warbler).

Enjoy your trip Stevie, and post a report.

Many thanks guys,

I fully intend to get to S'Albufera for first light for the very reason you suggest Rob. I will certainly take the advise on the Mamora's sites, greatly appreciated both of you.
Will post a report on my return.

Rob and Alan, Just to let you know I had a pretty nasty accident last week and have just come out of hospital. I will be laid up for 10 weeks! so obviously I will not be making the Mallorca trip so no trip report! Just to say thanks for all your help and I will use it hopefully later in the year or next.:-C

Sorry to hear that Stevie. Hope you're fit soon.

If you can't make Mallorca in spring, why not try the western Costa del Sol in the autumn (Sept-Oct). Right on the migration season, sky full of raptors around the Strait of Gibraltar and if you want white-headed duck, it's nailed on only 3km drive from Malaga airport (10 minutes gets you there) at the reserve at the mouth of Rio Guadalhorce.

I've been there several times in the spring and the autumn, and there's a good chance I'll be back this autumn. I don't have a report of my autumn trips, but here's a link to a trip I made last February as a taster.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=80001

Last edited:
Alan,

I had 2 weeks in Estipona last August. Had a fantastic time and came away with a good Spanish bird list.The Serrania de Ronda was outstanding as was Sotogrande and La Janda. Rufous-tailed Scrub-Robin and White-rumped Swift being highlights.
My appertite has been whetted for Mallorca now so I will definately be doing the trip later this Autumn or next Spring so all is not lost!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back