• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Menorca birds in May 2009 (1 Viewer)

Report about bird Watching at Ses Salines – Salt Pans Part 1 of 2

I decided to take the morning off sailing for a bit of time out for some walking, bird watching. and relaxing. I was starting to feel all my bruises from the sailing, and yes it hurt a little bit. ouch!!.
After some tidying up, I sat out in the Porch area to look at the view over the bay. The House Sparrows where up in their favourite Tree making their continual ‘repetitive’ songs. It was although they where watching your every movement.
Another call is noted from the same tree and a loud commotion, then a squabble between birds. Two Great Tits appear, and decide to chase each other about the Tree. One sits on the end of the branch right above my head, and twitter loudly, then the birds move off, and continue their argument in a tree a bit further off.

I could see that the House Sparrows liked to pick up the crumbs left on the floor. One appeared on the wall with lots of nest material in its mouth. Lovely quirky little birds, and much more humanised, than the ones in the UK. They are not shy at all, and happily tidy up the floor of any crumbs, and nibbles for anyone. They are a lot more elongated than the House Sparrows back home, a little smaller. Still just as cheeky, the way they colonise in their little groups. Such sociable little birds, and they love to be in each others company all day. They like to nest on top of the mature Palm Trees and that is their favourite spot for all of their activity.

My OH carried on with his sailing for the morning, and I left him to it. It was a pleasant change to be on my own for a while. So I packed my bag with my binoculars, notebook, my ID books, and went for a walk around to the nearby Ses Selines Salt Pans close to the beach.

The area was busy with lots of people with sailing on their minds. Windsurf boards, and dingy boats moving about over the surface of the sand. Sails, and all the associated equipment being tested, and secured. Lots of metal clanging. There was a buzz of activity in the air.

Just the time to escape for a while and have some ‘me’ time, and enjoy the area,

The weather was already lovely, and warm. The sun lotion was added with gusto for the coming day. I started to walk from the door down the patterned tiled stairs, then brushed against the perfumed plants. I start to walk, and then place my foot in the sand. I felt the soft dry sand around my feet as I made my short journey around to the Salt Pans. The only thing I did not possess this morning was our camera, so I hope nothing was going to make an ‘grand’ appearance, and the opportunity pass by as they do sometimes. That would be just my luck.

So the sun shone in its glory once more, and I step over the high area of uneven rocks that juts out over the beach. The green algae had built up in the area, and lined the beach with its distinctive smell of ’well rotted’ vegetation. Lots of green bushes, hiding away a small pool of water to the right of me. It was very vivid shade of green, and sour looking, to the point the surface of the water was dead to look at, and was not visible at all. I cross a piece of wood used as a plank to cross a narrow trench in the sand. I wondered if any creatures where inhabiting this ‘small ‘green area of water.
I put those thoughts aside, and quietly walked on. I brushed against some wild flowers, and a butterfly makes it presence known to me. It was large a yellow, it was a beauty and a good size.

I found out that it was a Cleopatra Brimstone butterfly. A Painted lady passed by without stopping. There was such an influx of Painted Ladies and it was impressive to see their success all over the area.

I past by the path to the left up to the old boathouse with its short man made pier going to no-where except the waters of the bay itself. I could see a few Blacked Winged Stilts quite close to the beach edge to my left. I counted 5 of them. Lots of calls filled the air. They where searching for their food source of aquatic invertebrates, worms and other crustations. If one bird moved they all moved in unison. They where graceful and poetic in their movements. I sat quietly on a low stone wall to observe the Stilts through the binoculars. I sat for a good while, breathing in the air and listening to all the water sounds around me.
The Stilts carried on dancing, and carried on moving in unison with each other, and they gradually moved further out into the bay. The water in the bay shimmered and the birds reflections where plain to see. The shimmering water gave the feeling of an army of Stilts. Lots of red coloured legs moving around in the water.
An adult Cormorant flies by in the distance towards the south shore, and past a small light coloured boat that had become ‘entombed’ near the shore line. It had escaped from its mooring, and entered part of the allocated National Park area where the water is too shallow to get the boat out. So the boat sat looking deserted. It would make a great resting point for any passing birds, if they wanted to observe their area. Wonder if any birds used the stricken vessel as their perching post. o:)

The Stilts move further off and out of range, and they communicated as they did skimming over the water, ot of sight.

So now it was time to have another look around and see what was going on in the Salt Pans behind me. The area has lots of low boundary walls, with collected water in each square patch. The water level changed if there was any rain at all, and the water filed the area according to the weather. One heavy rain storm we had overnight caused the water to rise quite a bit, so the Salt Pans are weather dependent to a point.

Some interesting facts about the Salt Pans: Ses Salines Salt Pans have been used for salt production since Phoenician times. There are three areas, covering 1000 acres, located between Sa Caleta and Platja d`en Bossa. Sea water entering the salt pans is allowed to dry out in the sun,and is then exported for salting roads and fish. The salt pans are also a nature reserve where storks, flamingos and many other species of birds may be seen.

Yes, Flamingos have been seen in the area, as historical fact are mentioned, and Ses Salines is no expection for a sighting or two.

I could see the 6 plus resident Kentish Plovers in their small group. A Ringed Plover had decided to include itself in the group. One of the Kentish Plovers was feeding a youngster close to me Occasionally the same bird would scuttle between the low stone built walls, and the tiny bushes close to the Salt Pans, then reappear and back to its youngster with food.

Then the same group of Kentish Plovers moved across to the bay, and started feeding, searching for small invertebrates within the sandy area of the beach and back to the Salt Pans. The Plovers could move between bushes and they just run very fast indeed within a blink of an eye. Never seen a bird run so fast just to collect its food, and survive. I could see the association of a wader moving over the dunes as they do. They look like they are clockwork toys, hunting out their food.

Another wader was amongst the group of Plovers, and I looked through the binoculars. I checked out the ID and could see that it was a Curlew Sandpiper, which I understood frequented the area too.
Then some calls tinkle from the skies above my head, and I could see Swifts and House Martins moving above, and skimming the water for insects. Little single note calls to each other, here there and everywhere.

Picture 1 - Beach leading to the Salt Pans
Picture 2 - Boat in the bay
Picture 3 - Hoopoe on the Wall
Picture 4 - Yellow Legged Gull
Picture 5 - Hoopoe on post

Attachments

• Beach are leading to Salt Pans.JPG
    Beach are leading to Salt Pans.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 124
  • Boat in Bay.JPG
    Boat in Bay.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Hoopoe1.JPG
    Hoopoe1.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Yellow Legged Gull.JPG
    Yellow Legged Gull.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Hoopoe2.JPG
    Hoopoe2.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Report about bird Watching at Ses Salines – Salt Pans Part 2 of 2

Then a few House Martins rest on one of the Power lines in the distance. I looked through my binoculars and yes, it was a sighting of these beautiful little birds. One could never tire of them. The heat was building up for the day and now most of the bird life would be going into limbo land until later in the day. Time was now marching on to the hottest pint in the day.

Another movement and a couple of Corn Bunting’s fly close-by, and continued their two tone bubbling song of one high note and one low note. They like to sit on tall vantage points like telegraph poles or tall bushes. These birds are always on the move, and never still at all for any length of time. They looked like larger version of a Sisken, olive green, and very stripy in appearance. They are fiercely territorial, and like to make sure that they keep their allocated bush. I could hear one pass over my head although he was trying to chase me off, and he was trying to make his point clear to me, again and again.

A deep ‘Hawww’ ‘Haawwwwww’. and I looked up to see one of the resident Yellow Legged Gulls circling in the sky above. He was watching all of the activity in his allocated patch. I watched him and he came down, and landed on the edge of a moored boat. He disappears into the cockpit area of the boat for a minute, and then reappears – I wondered what the fascination was with the boat. Maybe there was food, or water or something of interest the gull. He sat and watched me from the edge of his allocated boat. The dark blue coloration of the moored boat reflected in the water and the shimmering shadow of the gull looked clear on the water. I look down at the shoreline waters lapping, hitting the sand, while lots of small fish are splash around close to the shore although something disturbed them. I look up at the gull, and our eyes meet. A bright yellow eye area, and bright yellow feet, so easily recognisable to ID at any time. I am also amazed how large Yellow Legged Gulls really are, and quite formidable to look at.

I make my way back, and decide to turn to the right, along the 'stoney' overgrown path to the old ‘rundown’ boathouse. It is deserted, and the building unused. No doorway, and the entrance faced towards the bay. There was just an open front. Nothing was stored at all in the confines of the small building. I sat on the mooring post, and looked out over the bay. I could not see the Stilts anymore, so they where far out now. The water lapped onto the side of the boat launch area. I could lots of little black crabs scuttling around. This must be wader bird paradise for food. The bay is alive with all types of sea life, and the birds really like the area as it stocked well with the food that they need.
The concrete launch way is now well under water, so it gave the impression that it was used at one stage. The boats where moored well away from the boat house now. A tired looking building, and a good landmark for the area.

I moved back along the path, and head back toward our chalet, for lunch. The mornings sailing is now finished. So I met up with my OH, and we had our lunch.
My OH and I decide to reinvestigate the same Salt Pans for our lunch break. Now the Stilts are long gone sadly for my OH who would have loved to seen them.

As we walked along, we could see two Woodchat Shrikes sitting a fence wire up an embankment close to a residents house. One sat on the fence, while the other disappeared in the nearby bush and them they seemed to swop places with each other continually for reasons of their own. Then they together on the same wire once more. We could see that they are a pair by the distinct colouration on top of their heads. What a treat.

We got back to the Chalet and knew we would go back to the Saltpans on a daily basis.

Next day, we went for another look at the same area. Three Little Egret’s where now feeding on the edge of the bay shoreline, where the Stilts had been yesterday.. Two Egrets seemed to be a pair, snd they stood feeding in the bay area, and the other stayed in the Saltpans on his own hunched up, still, and seemed to be asleep.
The Kentish Plovers looked tiny compared with the lone Little Egret sleeping while standing in the water in the Saltpans.. The birds never blinked an eye at one another. It was silent, and quiet.

No sign of the Woodchat Shrikes now, they are long gone. We hoped that they where resident birds to this area, but sadly we never saw then again.

In the distance behind the Salt Pans, and the Cala Tirant area, there is a lot of BoP activity going on . A Red Kite was flying around, and then two Red Kites appeared along with a Booted Eagle. The thermals must have been a large part of their flight. They all where flying with the greatest of ease close to one another, The birds where calling to one another as they did, and I could hear faint calls, travelling back in the slight winds, as they did.

Then we where snapped back to reality into making another move back to our chalet. We could hear lots more bubbling calls from the local Corn Buntings. There was no shortage of this bird, and it was very well established in the area. It was so good to see bird species that I have never seen in the UK.

As we walked closer to our chalet one Hoopoe flew overhead, and it landed on a whitewashed wall. Then we noticed there are two Hoopoes – a great sighting. Up to now we have only seen Hoopoes in flight, so it was good to see them perched on a wall.
As we walked back one of our group said that an Osprey had been sighted flying above the boat yard. I wish I had seen that but it was not to be at all.

Never mind we cannot get everything we want.

I found Ses Salines Salt Pans a great place to bird watch, and it was only a 5 minute walk from our Chalet.

A great find to all bird lovers. :-O:t:

Picture 6 - Little egret
Picture 7 - View from Chalet
Picture 8 - Cleoptra Brimstone

Attachments

• Little Egret1.JPG
    Little Egret1.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 113
  • View from Chalet.JPG
    View from Chalet.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Celopatra Brimstone.JPG
    Celopatra Brimstone.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Report at Cala Tirant – 16th May 2009 Part 1 of 2

Report at Cala Tirant – 16th May 2009 Part 1 of 2

I had an afternoon off sailing, and decided to for a walk on my own around Cala Tirant, which is an area of houses, next to Ses Salines.

So, after lunch, I packed my Rucksack with my juice, my binoculars and my ID books in hand. My OH enjoyed himself sailing once more.

This was another short walk from our chalet to the main road leading to Fornells. I crossed the main road, over the other side of the road, and headed towards the Cala Tirant
A well laid path with a rustic fence lead to the area, and well sign-posted area of Cala Tirant.

I passed under the large circular sign post, and started to walk up the road towards the buildings. There is an avenue of various trees, and the air was filled with bird song. The heat has built up once more and lots of grass hoppers where singing in the hazy tall grasses in the open field nearby. Lots of birds where moving back and forth between trees on opposite sides of the road. I walked very slowly while listening intently for any interesting birds nearby.

I had my binoculars around my neck. I could hear some tinkling and looked up to see a couple of Goldfinches sitting on the spindly branches up above my head. It was great to see these birds where resident to the area. I was told by the locals that Goldfinches are sought after as cage birds by people who live in Mainland Spain. There is also some cross-breeding that goes on between Canaries and Goldfinches to produce a hybrid. This is very sad to me as they are wild birds and should be respected as that. The Goldfinches beautiful songs are their downfall and hopefully this whole issue will be stopped one day forever. Anyway, the main thing is they are around. I could hear them everywhere on the island including one or two sitting in the tree right above our chalet.

So I continued up along side the avenue of trees, and past a field full of cows. Lots of lovely rustic fences and gates gave the feeling of old world charm. The roadway was built on an embankment, and this made it easier to see down into the woods below. Any sightings of birds would be a lot easier on the eye. Lots of wildflowers and butterflies everywhere and it was a joy to be given a chance to be able to look up all wildlife associated with the area.
A few cars past by, and I had to make sure that I remembers which way the cars headed as it is the opposite way to what we have in Britain. There was a sandy pavement I could retreat to for safety purposes.
The avenues of trees boasted all types of birds, and I noticed the abundance of Nightingales in song from nearly every Tree. Their fluty rich song was unmistakeable. I felt like I was walking around a Tropical park far away elsewhere.

A couple of scuffles occurred in the nearby Fig Tree, and two birds where having a dispute. They moved about from branch to branch. I looked through my binoculars. I could see the birds in question where had very bright yellow, and black colouration in their plumage. I had another look, and the first bird that came to my mind of an Oriole for some reason. I had a look at my bird book and yes, it was a group of Golden Orioles which where sighted on this day. As a matter of fact there was a large group of them flitting about the nearby Fig Trees. I had a look at the birds habits in the bird book, and they are migrants, are only around April/May in the year.
So I was honoured to have seen them. What a treat, and there where plenty of them living happily in the avenue of trees. So there where a few more sightings of them as I continued towards the buildings in the distance.

A huge ‘gold’ Yellow butterfly fluttered past me and it was going to fast to observe. I understand that Brimstones are quite abundant for this time of year and had a lot of sightings of thee. I have a picture or two to fall back on too. Lots of wildflowers where growing along the road edge and I could ID quite a few of them using the local flower book of the species in the area (that will another thread in itself).

I pass by an evergreen pine tree, and I could see a woven nest perched on top it. It was too far away to reach, so I was not sure whether it was a genuine bird nest, or one which had been placed on the tree to attract birds of some type. It remained me of a Weaver bird nest like the ones you see in South Africa. My own understanding is that Weavers are not native to Menorca in any way. So what bird could build a nest like this nest.

So I continued past another singing Nightingale in a tree. I stopped to listen to it as it was very close and right above my head. I still could not see it, and very soon, I knew it had slunk of to the next tree without me knowing it had. Hey they are such difficult birds to see.

I continued walking up a slight hill, towards the small housing complex. I arrive, and have a look at the area information board, but did not find it all that useful for my needs. So I walked on up to the nearest one shop.

The houses/chalets in his area have been built for holiday homes, and an assortment of other homes for various reasons. It is no where near some of the holiday/hotel complexes you get in many countries. It was a world apart from that, and that is a good thing for the good of the area.

I pass by the one shop, and a restaurant. Most of the houses are built around the lower area of a mountain. The remaining upper area of the hill was given as an area to walk around. I could see a Booted Eagle flying in the thermals close by on the top of the wilderness area of the same mountain. Now, the Booted Eagle was being mobbed by a couple of Yellow Legged Gulls. The same bird was not perturbed from flying in its normal manner. It glided gently over to the other side of the mountain and out of view.

I head towards the beach area, to see what was around. The midday sun was not there anymore, but not to say the heat was still blistering. I have a look over the shore front, across the blue Mediterranean sea, and the view beyond I could see a few gulls flying over the water, and they flashed by only to disappear and then reappear once more.

An Auduin’s Gull sat on the nearby rock looking on, and was not bothered by my presence so close to the bird. The area was very rocky, weather beaten, and the sea had changed the shape of the rocks, which made the area look very craggy. It was hard to walk about, so I made my way back towards the houses. I was interested in finding my way over the beach so I could walk on the track on the furtherist side. I was trying to find the best route there. Then I could see a wooden stairway which would take me away from the rocks and over to the other area of beach. This is where I wanted to go, and see what was around the area. Now I had found where I wanted to go, but never made it to the track (as planned) as I was diverted elsewhere as we all are at times.

So I walked up, along, and down the wooden stairs, and looked at the beach ahead. It was quite barren of people. The people that where there where lying in the sun or splashing about in the water. Lots of screams from a little girl to show her delight at getting wet.

Attachments

• Butterfly.JPG
    Butterfly.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Auduin's Gull1.JPG
    Auduin's Gull1.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Auduin's Gull2.JPG
    Auduin's Gull2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Fornells Road.JPG
    Fornells Road.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 116
Report at Cala Tirant – 16th May 2009 Part 2 of 2

I head over the beach, past the sunbathers, and towards the sand dunes.
I could see a message board explaining how the dunes evolved. It stated it was important that people did not upset the ‘sensitive’ area by tramping over the dunes themselves. I could see that some paths had been cut already, so I decided to use these paths instead of ‘causing;’ any more erosion problems underfoot.

The history is that all of the plants such as the Sea Bindweed, any bushes, and Sea Holly are left to grow in abundance. The reason is so the roots stabilize the dunes, so they do not move about so much.
So I walked carefully around the dunes and had a good look around. A vivid blue Butterfly flies past in the wind and the blue shading told me, it was an Adonis Blue. I have never seen a Butterfly this particular shade of blue in my life, and I was so pleased to see it. It was a definite spot. o:)

Lots of Sea Holly was growing along with the Sea Bindweed everywhere underfoot, and in amongst the dunes. The two plants complimented each other. The colour of the 'pink coloured Sea Bindweed was stunning to look at, and the flowers very attractive to see growing to their full potential. o:)

I continued walking carefully over the dunes, and I could hear lots of twittering from a nearby bush. I stood in one place for a good few minutes to catch sight of the birds in question. A male and female Stonechat where moving about in the low weather beaten bushes, close-by. The birds where hard to see, and I did not want to disturb them too much as it is their nesting time. I stood in one spot and observed them quietly. They are beautiful little birds and one could never tire of seeing them. The male bird showed his good side on a few occasions. I wish I had my scope with me but never mind.

Time to move on once more, to see more of the area. Some more birds where flying above and skimming the skies in a group of about 6 or so. They where flying very quickly, and gracefully. The noises that they made where of no bird I have ever heard in my life before in my life I sat on the nearest dune and observed them through my binoculars flying over my head, and disappearing behind various buildings. Most of the nearby area buildings had gardens built on a slope. so it made it easy to see the birds. A study of the ID’s conformed that they are Cory’s Shearwaters (I consulted with my Ornithologist friend from my trip) and from the description he said they are Cory’s Shearwaters due to their flight pattern, and their size. One thing I did notice is that they have very long wings, and it is very noticeable while they are flying.
I was told there are two types of Shearwaters in Menorca, and the best way to tell them apart is by the way they fly. One has a swift swooping flight as with the Cory’s Shearwater, while the other the Balearic Shearwater is a much faster flyer, and is a rarer bird to see on the island.
At one stage (until recently) Cory’s Shearwaters eggs where taken to eat by the local people living in Ciutadella. I am glad that has stopped now as it is not fair if the species needs to survive.

It was a joy to see these birds and a treat for someone, like myself, who is still learning the ropes of birdwatching.

I moved on back along the way I came, back towards the restaurant and the shops. Another bird calls from a nearby building. It was sitting on the white washed belfry tower on top of the building. It produced a short repeditive song of only a few notes in quick succession. It was Thrush sized, dark coloured, and it sat looking over the sea. I had a good look at it. I could see it had turned its head around although it was looking at me. I ruled out the ID as a Blackbird because it song was wrong Though it size was correct. I consulted my book and the description was of a Blue Rock Thrush. Its feathers where iridescent, and shone in the sun light. What a lovely bird, and a nice singer. It remained on its perch for a long time so it must be its territory.

Another few steps further, and a Spotted Flycatcher appears, and it sits on a gate. It then hopped on to a large green piece canvas draped over the same gate, and continued to catch ‘insects’ hiding in the green canvas. It kept on repeating itself, and I observed it quite close up, and as close up as it allowed me too. I had already seen this bird on the island, so I knew what species that it was. It eventually flew off in the opposite direction, and that was the last I saw of it.

I looked around, and the Blue Rock Thrush was still sitting on the same area of roof from before. I wish I could see this bird closer up but a sighting made me very happy indeed. The bird stayed on the sanme perch and I could still see him in the distance.

This was another great 3 hours spent doing a bit of bird watching, and I enjoyed this afternoon very much. If we come back I will looking once more at this area and see what other birds are around once more.

I met a local bird watcher (the same day) and his partner. We have an exchange of sightings. It helped to know what birds where around the island.
Last year when we visited the island we met another person from the UK, who went bird watching. It is good to know like minded people are around to exchange information on a daily basis.

Great day, and great sightings who could ask for more at all. o:)o:)o:)

Pictures of some wild flower growing in adundance in the area. :gh:

Attachments

• Boltix Bord1.JPG
    Boltix Bord1.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Boltix Bord2.JPG
    Boltix Bord2.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Sea Bindweed.JPG
    Sea Bindweed.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Great reports, Kathy.

This is definitly having me wanting to go back to Menorca and spend some serious time birding on the island!!

Richard

Great reports, Kathy.

This is definitly having me wanting to go back to Menorca and spend some serious time birding on the island!!

Richard

Hi Richard

Thank you very much for your kind comments about my reports. :t: o:)

If you decide to go would it be May time? It seems to be the best time otherwise it gets far too warm (unless you are mad about sunbathing)

In May there are some migatory birds around which are well worth seeing, as I am sure you know yourself. The Golden Oricle was a great find, and a rare find. :t:

Our Orthnologist guide told us that if you go to Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau in the winter months the place is full of Wildfowl/ducks mainly UK species.
There was a mention that the Red-Crested Pochard's are a usual sight all year round in this same area. They are difficult to see during the day and like to feed at night instead.

Mallards, and Red-Crested Pochards are all year round wildfowl/Ducks on the island, unless a stray appears as they do. We saw a lone Shelduck at Cala Tirant Salt Pans. :eek!:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Hi Lucy,

Replied to the pm today and hope it helps. When is it you revisit the islands?

Peter:t:

Hi Peter

Thank you for your PM - just read it just now. It has given the answer I need. Will have a look at the area that you are established in. :t:

We will probabily go back to Menorca next May to sail, and bird watch too. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
If you decide to go would it be May time? It seems to be the best time otherwise it gets far too warm (unless you are mad about sunbathing)

Hi Kathy,

Would more than likely be in the Summer time as we use it for our Summer holidays, and we're restricted by the times of the school holidays, having 2 kids.

If the right 6 balls ever drop on a Wednesday or a Saturday, though, I would definitly buy a place out there!!

Richard

Hi Kathy,

Would more than likely be in the Summer time as we use it for our Summer holidays, and we're restricted by the times of the school holidays, having 2 kids.

If the right 6 balls ever drop on a Wednesday or a Saturday, though, I would definitly buy a place out there!!

Richard

Hi Richard

Oh dear, you must feel the heat a whole lot. It is scorching at that time of year. I would be inclined to go later in the year, instead of mid-year time. :eek!:

I know that there are lot of families with children who use the Sailing Company during the school holidays over June, July and part of August. We prefer to steer clear of the mobs for our sailing, as it gets too crowded for my liking. :gh:

We do not have a family, so we have the freedom to make choices. Having a family restricts your holiday dates. All part of life's rich tapestry I guess.

If you go, I would love to hear your 'birding' experiences too! :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Reports Fornells/Ses Salines - Part 1 of 2

Reports Fornells/Ses Salines - Part 1 of 2

One evening, during our holiday, I went for a wander to the shore line and sat their amongst the stored boats. I could hear a Scops Owl close to our chalet. I sat on a bench outside, and noticed the local Bats flying close to me. They flitted around my head. You could hear their little radar squeaks as they moved around. The evening was silent, and calm, and the only noise was a Scops Owl making its call known to the area, and to other Owls nearby.

In the morning, my OH and I met up with some of our sailing group. A couple stated they could hear the same Scops Owl in the complex. They where fascinated as they had never heard of the bird, or its call before. I have to admit the Scops Owls sound is a repetitive ‘peeeuu’. At the same time it sounds like the bird is calling out of a tin can. So metallic, and spooky sounding. The call never stops at all. It just goes on bleeping as it does. It makes the night feel very tropical, intriguing, and relaxing all at the same time. Nice homely feeling.

Today was very windy, and squally, probably hitting force 5. We decided to take a risk going out sailing, and we capsized, and got a good old soaking. We managed to get the boat upright, and I clambered into the cockpit. OH sorted out the rigging. We got into the boat. Sadly, the Laser 2000 crewing ropes, are now tangled up in the rigging. It was cold, windy, we where wet, and felt cold. The waves where high against the side of the boat, and a face of salty water. So we got a good drenching. So we both had given up, and decided to go back to shore, and dry off from our trip.

As we went back to shore a Cormorant flew past and around us and back the way it came. I was told that there was a colony of Cormorants and Shags, sitting together on the rocks at the other side of the bay from us.
It would mean a sailing trip out to see them, close up as we dare. The thing is we where not keen to take our binoculars and camera in the boat in case we capsized at all. So we where limited to what we could see.

The bay wind was quite abrupt today, and switched direction a whole lot. It was difficult to sail in, and keep our balance at all. Looking over the bay we could see the waves where very choppy, and the wind was shifting in all directions.
Many of the dingy boats used in our class where not sailing at all. Of the ones that did where continually tipping over into the water So the rescue boats (RIB’s) where kept very busy indeed.

We headed off down to Fornells for a few hours walking about, instead of sailing. The trip to Fornells was interesting.
Various types wildlife moved about, despite of the windy weather. Lots of Butterflies flying around, and they flew past in the wind. Lots of Gypsy Moth caterpillers where everywhere on the walls, fences, ground. Thank you to the expert who ID’s the photos for me. I understand it is considered a pest species – is that true I wonder – still study the facts a little more.

We looked closely at the pavement wall, and the rustic fence as we walked along. We saw an assortment of wildlife including a Gecko climbing up a building wall nearby. Lots of pretty Snails sitting half way up stems of plants.
We could hear a Cuckoo in the distance over the other side of the bay. The song echoed across the bay back to us, and the sound seemed to travel on the current of the wind. Great to hear a bird like a Cuckoo in Spain, that is becoming rarer now in the UK

We could hear Corn Buntings, twittering, and moving about in the low bushes close to the shore line, and into the boatyard. These species everywhere claiming their territories. What active little birds. One bird sat on the top of a telegraph pole and twittered non stop. He was not moving from his patch for anyone. He was king of his castle.

Lots of House Sparrows, and Collared Doves flew about in all directions. Lots of Grasshoppers where well hidden in the tall sedge like grasses despite of the windy weather – chirping as they do. Each time the sun came the noise from the Grasshoppers increased, The Butterflies seen to appear form everywhere, and lots of very large bees.

As we walked past some palm trees waving in the breeze, saw a huge Rat climbing up the uneven knobbly brown trunk of one of the mature Palm Trees. What a size and it was not worried about our presence at all. Lots of little squeaks which gave the impression that there may be a Rat family in the tree. There was enough leafy undergrowth for the Rat family to live in. The Rat looked Brown/Dark Grey in colour with a white chest. I understand that you can only get black Rats in Menorca – need to confirm that!

A group of Goldfinches tinkled in the nearby trees, while they moved around in a little group of their own. A resident Nightingale made it tune known, and could out sing every other species in close proximity to the bird. Its song is one that you could never forget.

A leggy looking insect appeared which looked like a type of Clearwing. It was a scary insect to look at, and looked more like a very long thin wasp. It buzzed deeply as it past our head and went on its way. We where intrigued by its presence.

We could hear the same low calls from the Yellow Legged Gulls in the sky above There seemed to be a small group of them around, but still they remained a good distance from each other against the blue coloured sky.

Looking over to the sea on our right it was very lively with the wind playing a large part in todays events. The moored boats clanged and scraped gently against one another.
To the left there was low hills with fields of horses, and some cows. We could hear Cockerels crowing behind a white building close by. A meowing call came from the top of the hills and there was a Booted Eagle flying slowly around in circles as they do. It was being mobbed by a Raven. We could see the Booted Eagle had no food in its talons, so the Raven was harassing the BoP for reasons only that it knew itself. I am amazed how similar the Booted Eagle looks in flight to the Common Buzzard. If you looked closely through a set of binoculars the colouration is so much different. The lighter areas of the flight feathers show up well over the BoP’s’ wings as it flies in its circles against the blue sky.

We walk on, and now we are close to the built up area of Fornells. We passed by the Palm Trees blowing in the wind. Lots of rustling, creaking foliage is heard as we walk by each tree. A group of House Sparrows disappear into the Palm Trees above our heads. They where going in to search out the dried leaf foliage for their nests, hiding and chattering to one another as they did. They reappear out from the same tree, with a beak full of nesting material and disappear elsewhere else with their bounty. Such busy, lively, vocal little birds and so much more busy than the House Sparrows in the UK. There is no shortage of them in Menorca.

Picture 1 - Map Menorca - Fornells on top right
Picture 2 - Yellow Legged Gull and its antics
Picture 3 - Audouin's Gull
Picture 4 - Walk facing the Mediterranean Sea.
Picture 5 - Yellow Legged gull flying overhead

Attachments

• Menorca Map.jpg
    Menorca Map.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Yellow Legged Gull1.JPG
    Yellow Legged Gull1.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 79
  • Auduin's Gull1.JPG
    Auduin's Gull1.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Fornells.JPG
    Fornells.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Yellow Legged Gull.JPG
    Yellow Legged Gull.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reports Fornells/Ses Salines - Part 2 of 2

Reports Fornells/Ses Salines - Part 2 of 2

We walk forward, and along the beach front and decided to have a bite to eat. To be honest more of a drink, and a tasty fish dish. The Restaurants where so good, the service fantastic, and the food was very excellent. We said ‘hello’ to others from our sailing group who where having a walk like ourselves. We sit and look across to the mouth of the bay, and out to the Mediterranean Sea.

A movement catches our eye and a bright Green Lizard scuttles along the pavement and into the plant box nearby. He was a quick mover. A picture was out of the question.

We continue our walk and past a Yellow Legged Gull who was happy to do a pose for a photograph. We took 6 pictures of the same Gull. I wonder if he was thinking we would give him some food. Yellow Legged Gulls are now considered a pest in Menorca, and I would not tempt fate with a beak that size. He moved about and he looked although he was doing a dance to impress us. He perched on a fence was part of his dance too!

We pass a row of buildings – some where deserted, and dead looking, and others looked lived in. It gave the impression that some of these buildings are some type of holiday chalets. The same buildings cascaded together on the left of us as we walked along. We pass a little café with people sitting outside enjoying a beverage or two. Lots of talking and laughter from people. To the right of us was an abundance of flowering plants, Cactus's and scrubs of all types. The place was alive with beautiful wild flowers. The wildlflowers continued to the edge of the uneven red coloured rocks, and into the sea.

The sea was hitting the rocks really hard and the wind continued to blow as it did. I could taste the salt in the air. The sea in the bay is very salty to taste, and the salt stuck to your skin. An Audouin’s Gull sat on a rock close to the sea and looked on. It looked at us as we took a picture of the bird. I was so pleased as I had never seen this Gull before and I was informed that the Gull is a very rare bird, and they are breeding in Menorca. That is a success story for them as a species.
The Yellow Legged Gull flew above us slowly and we took advantage of it, and got a really good picture of the bird in flight.

We made our way to Talaia De Fornells (monument) at the furthest end of Fornells itself. We walked up to the building for a better view over the sea. The sea splashed about on the rocks and the water flew up in the air at a rate of knots. The sea went for miles and nothing was seen in the distance. There where another two areas of rocks further out, and two lighthouses where positioned on each one to serve their own purpose for boat safety.
Time was marching on and we decided to make our way back. It was getting on to mid afternoon. So we walked back the way we came. As we walked a car drew up next to us and we where offered a lift by members of the sailing group. We accepted the offer, and had a chat with one of the main higher bodies in the sailing group. We all agreed, the wind had dropped and the sailing was good once more.

We got back, and decided to book a trip out on the SB3 boat for later in the day. A nice, large safe boat where it would never capsize. It has a fixed keel so that sounded good to me. That is the sort of boat we needed after our ‘dip’ this morning.

So now we where dry, fed we where happy, after the relaxation of the walk about. We went for another quick walk to see who was around the beach. We came across some birders who where visiting from the south side of the island only for the day. They had a scope in hand so we had a long talk about all the species we had seen. They had been having a look a the Ses Salines Salt Pans and explained that they could see Ringed Plovers, Kentish Plovers, Stone Curlew, and Little Egrets. So good to met these people. Anyway the meeting was brief and very informative indeed, and it was another learning level for us.

At 4.30pm we jumped into a RIB boat. We where taken to the Poonton where the SB3 boat was moored, and we jumped on to the boat. The boat was set up for sailing, and we headed off for our 2 hour trip, out of the bay and into the Mediterranean Sea for a mile or so. A Cormorant flew past as they always did between the boats in the bay. One of the local Little Egrets decided to make an appearance, flew over us, and landed by the boat yard.

We carried on, and past the Fornell beach front full of Restaurants, and moored boats where we where earlier on for our walk, and we sailed on into the sea itself. The boat was going at some rate and it felt quite fast. I put up the Kite and the Kite was huge, and it helped the boat to power on. Wow what a feeling of power and speed.

As we sailed we could see a Wild Black Goat standing up the side of the steep hill to the right of us. After a while, a group of Storm Petrels flew past our boat. They only scraped the surface of the water as they flew along by our side. I wonder if the boat was stirring up the morsels of food they liked to eat. I counted 10 of them and they stayed firmly together as a group. Amazing sight. :t::t:
We had sailed about about a mile out to sea, before we saw them at all. We would have never seen them from the shore at all, so we where very lucky indeed. :t::-O:-O:-O

We continued our trip and then we had to turn back. We past the two lighthouses noted earlier on during our walk. We enjoyed our trip and I really enjoyed the view of the Storm Petrels. That was such a treat to have seen these birds any day in their natural environment too.
We got back to base and the SB3 boat was tied to the Pontoon once more. We where taken back to shore by the RIB boats once more.

We went back to the chalet and changed and went out for a couple of beers at my horse friends restaurant. It was after 6pm now, and we relaxed. As we sat more bird activity was noted. A bird appeared on the knobbly trunk of the nearby tree, and looked although it was eating insects. We thought it was a Flycatcher of some type. It remained on the trunk for a while so we could observe it through our binoculars.
We found out that the bird is a Spotted Flycatcher. It liked it patch, between a TV aerial and a small tree. Then another one appeared so they must be a pair. They flew in their patch every day. We visited the Restaurant at the same time of day between 5-6pm and there they where catching their food. At one stage we where sitting at our table and the two Spotted Flycatchers came into the veranda area, and started eating all the insects in a crevice high in the patio doorway. What a great view close up of the birds involved. It is was although they where not bothered about our presence as we sat and watched them. They certainly liked sitting on top of the Aerial on the nearby roof and the nearby tree. We sat and watched them through our binoculars for a good while.

We decided to go back to the chalet to change for dinner.
We had our dinner at a restaurant close by, and that was the end of our day and it was a great day out.

This is another report done and one other to go…. Then the Wild Flora thread to be added, and the new Butterfly thread to be looked at, and updated.

Picture 6 - Spotted flycatcher sitting on its favourite perch
Picture 6 - Gecko
Picture 7 - Road to/from Fornells

Attachments

• Spotted flycatcher 18-05-2009 19-55-44.JPG
    Spotted flycatcher 18-05-2009 19-55-44.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Gecko 18-05-2009 17-16-10.JPG
    Gecko 18-05-2009 17-16-10.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Fornells Road.JPG
    Fornells Road.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
South Bay of Ses Salines, Fornells

South Bay of Ses Salines, Fornells - Part 1 of 2

We got up this sunny morning, and took our time getting ready for our sailing for 10am. It was a beautiful day, and the wind was force 2-3. It was ideal weather for a day out on the water. The mornings sailing went without any incident. The weather was now very hot and sticky. We where feeling the heat even at this early hour in the morning. We had to drink lots of cold bottled water as dehydration would set in very quickly otherwise. So common sense prevails for health reasons as we where told.

We came back to the chalet for our 2 hour lunch. While sitting at the table in the porch area, having our lunch, a local Yellow Legged Gull decided to fly across, and sit on the balcony right in front of us. He balanced himself, and watched us eating intently for 5 minutes or so. We ate our homemade sandwiches, with a cup of tea. We watched any food left sitting on the outside table. The gull flew off once more. It was interesting to see the gull really close up. He/she was quite an intimidating bird to encounter even from where we where sitting. It was not a good idea to feed any Yellow Legged Gulls as they where becoming disliked by the locals for some of their bad ‘local’ habits. They are opportunists as all gulls are and that is their character as we all know already. It is their bad habits that are not liked by island people. Hope that it does not get any worse.

One of our sailing group said she placed a lot of food for a cold salad on the outside table within her porch area. She put out a load of ham on a plate. She said she turned her back for two minutes, and a Yellow Legged Gull came down, and went of with all of ham from her plate – cheeky!!

After our lunch we relaxed, and took in the views across the bay. A movement from a nearby building, and we looked to our right. We could see a Kestrel sitting on the restaurant signpost.- Ses Salines. Must be so nice to be famous in a special way.
The Kestrel continued sitting on the blue Ses Salines signpost, the whitewash on the building shimmering in the heat. Then the Kestrel disappears to the enclosed area behind the circular sign. Then he re-appeared. He did this a few times. Maybe he was hunting for some food like small insects or Gecko’s. He was around for a short time. It was really nice to see him so close to our chalet. The binoculars where always in use even while we where at the chalet. Great for local bird watching while relaxing in the sun.

We had a regatta boat race in the afternoon with other boats, and it was great fun. We beat some of the faster boats and that made our day. Great fun!! Think we where high up in the race stakes.

At the end of the afternoon we went for a couple of well earned beers. The people who ran the sailing club had laid on a two walk for anyone who wished to have a wander in the evening. We had booked in advance earlier in the day. So at 6.30pm, we where taken for an evenings walk around one of the areas at the south end of the bay. This area is designated as an open ‘bridal’ walk to the public. So that sounded really good to us to do a bit more bird watching.

The area was at the south end of the bay at Ses Salines, close to Ses Salines Salt Pans. We got out of the car, and we scammed the unexplored area. It was heavily wooded with some types of Evergreen trees, Olive trees, and pine trees. The area was full of bird life.

Lots of Nightingales sang from nearby trees. The place was rich with wild flowers, and there where many I had never seen before elsewhere on the island. We walked along a track. I was told the track was used for horses, and carriages many years ago, that was its function. The open tracks had not been upgraded, or changed over the years. This made the track surface very uneven underfoot. So a good sturdy pair of walking boots was a must for walking in this area. There was a lot of scrubby wooded areas, and the trees divided the area of grass into small plots of land. There where a lot of Corn Buntings around this area, flitting about as they always liked to do. There was good population of Golden Orioles living in the scrubby trees. I have never seen do many birds of one species in one place. We where honoured to see Golden Orioles throughout our holiday.

Picture 1 - Ses Salines sign where Kestel sat
Picture 2 - Rock dividing South Bay, Nature Reserve (Trees), and Salt Pans.
Picture 3 - A picture of the South Bay, and Salt Pans
Picture 4 - Another picture of the South Bay facing over to Fornells

Attachments

• Ses Salines sign.JPG
    Ses Salines sign.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Salt Pans - South Bay.JPG
    Salt Pans - South Bay.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 80
  • South Bay facing Bridal Path in Trees..JPG
    South Bay facing Bridal Path in Trees..JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 74
  • South Bay facing towards Fornells.JPG
    South Bay facing towards Fornells.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
South Bay of Ses Salines, Fornells Part 2 of 2

South Bay of Ses Salines, Fornells - Part 2 of 2

A Cuckoo starts to make his call heard once more, and I had a feeling this was the same bird that I could hear across the bay from our Chalet. There was not much of a distance between the two established areas. It just showed how small the bay area is when it came to wildlife species in the local area.

A few old ruins where dotted about the area. The stones showed the internal shapes of the building that once where important to the area, and the communities of people that must have lived in them. The rooms, still presented in their former shapes, and sizes that where once lived in. There was an air of the place being steeped in history. It was eerie in a way, ghostly, and the spirits of the past will be present in this area forever. A lot of reed like grass covered the plots of buildings. The grass rustled in the slight wind.

We where told some of the environmental history of the area. It had taken 15 years to put forward plans to establish areas of the island reserves. It was good that the work done to help the island keep its heritage, and it was a positive result at the end of the day. Local people, and tourists alike where reaping the benefits of being able to roam freely where they anyone wanted to be.

Tourists who want to access areas to walk around as part of the whole enjoyment of visiting Menorca in the first place. It is a bird watchers paradise, and a lot of pleasure would be gained from accessing the area on foot. Now the whole area is turning to be a bird watchers delight.

As we walked along the old uneven ‘bridle’ track we could see lots more Corn buntings flitting between bushes in the nearby fields. Each area of land has its hedge to divide areas of land from one another. Most of the land was subdivided by either a drystone wall or shrubby trees. Not a wire fence was seen at all in any direction. I just love the wooden rustic gates that give the look of old world charm of the whole area. There is a sense of pride about how the land is looked after, visually, or otherwise by the local people. There is a definite rich love for the land,

We stopped to observe one or two insects which where seen on the roadway, close to the surrounding areas. There was an endless source of fascination going on with Insects, Flora and Frogs.
One frog sitting close to the track was very interesting to see as it was not a UK species. It hopped off and into the undergrowth, after it had enough of seeing stared at by so many people – who could blame it.
It was still, muggy, hot evening, and plenty of water was consumed by people.

Another discussion we had as a group was future problems with the Processionary Moth Caterpiller to the local district of Menorca. There have been lots of boxes placed on trees to check the extent of the problem within the area. So hopefully there will be a way of keeping pests in check in the near future.
The Gypsy Moths Caterpillers are the local pests at the moment. There are lots of them everywhere on the island, there is not a place you can go where they are not noticeable. It must be a bumper year for them.

Another 'watery' place for the group to stop, look, ponder, talk and gaze over the south end of the bay. We where told that this was the area that Flamingo's have been seen in the past. Now it appeared devoid of wildlife while we where there. Lots of rocks cut into strange shapes. It was like looking at an area from another planet with all the divisions and pools cut onto boulders scattered all over the bay. Lots of holes and stones looking weather beaten and well crafted. It was like being at a Art exhibition of stone sculptures. Magic place, and it felt different to any other part of the bay area.

In winter I was told that Flamingo's have been seen along with the resident Cetti's Warbler to name but a few local birds, We have witnessed seeing the Cett’is Warbler in May time at Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau. That was good enough for us. There seems to be a regular all year group of birds. They share the area along with the migrants that keep coming back to the island at specialised time of the year. It makes for a lot more interest for bird watching.

Menorca must be a different place to be in the winter months. We may come back in wintertime to bird watch to see what is around at this point in the year. I was told that it does not get too cold so that would suit us for an extra holiday.

We started to head back to the cars, and drove back to Ses Salines. We could see a Egytian Vulture circling in the sky, above us, nearby, as we drove along the roadway. The sighting caused a bit of a stir in the group. Then another BoP appeared, and it was a Red Kite once more. That tail was a giveaway to us. Great to see sop many BoP’s in Menorca. It gave a feeling that there is a healthy population of them at the moment.

We recovered form our walk and relaxed for a while in the heat. Then we went for another walk around to the Salt Pans at Ses Saline. The Kentish Plovers where there scuttling around as always looking very busy. They look like fast mechanical toys. A evening air had set in and the birds where calling to one another in the distance once more. The water shimmered in the light, and the place gave the feeling of complete calm and peace . This is my favourite patch to relax in and take in the sea air, and take in all the beautiful surroundings.

Last report is the Wild Flowers, and an update on the connecting Butterfly thread.

Picture 5- Fornells road
Picture 6 - Rustic Gate

Attachments

• Fornells Road.JPG
    Fornells Road.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Rustic Gate.JPG
    Rustic Gate.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back