• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeders back out... (1 Viewer)

boddie

I put the feeders back out yesterday after a 5 month break for the months of plenty. Half peanuts, half sunflower/mixed

I thought it might be a while for them to get re-established, with no food in the garden the passerines are few and far between, but I have been amazed at how quickly they have caught on.

First thing this morning I had the blue tits on the peanuts, then the coal tits and great tits on the sunflower seeds, now I have chaffinch and greenfinch on the mixed and it's almost back to normal again.

Looking forward to the long-tailed tits and sparrows and I need to invest in some Nyjer for the goldfinch. Hopefully it won't be long until we're totally up to speed.

I just wondered if this seems pretty normal, do the birds remember the source of food and check up on it regularly? My brother put feeders up at his house for the first time last year and barely gets a sniff, made me wonder about well established feeders being popular even if they aren't a source of food year-round.

Is this usually the order of birds other people get too?

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back