• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-throated diver? (Suffolk,UK) (1 Viewer)

Mike_H

I discovered this casualty(see attachment) on Aldeburgh beach yesterday (Saturday 4th September 2010)My best guess is a black-throated diver in winter plumage. Any other suggestions?

Does it seem a bit early to find this bird in this area?

Attachments

• black-throated diver(reduced).jpg
    black-throated diver(reduced).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 316
Actually a Guillemot is an entirely different bird. All black with white wing patches. We have both Pigeon Guillemots and Common Murres breeding here. The dead bird is a Common Murre, not either a Pigeon or Black Guillemot.

So to avoid further confusion, it is Uria aalge, the Common Murre. It is not Cepphus grylle, the Black Guillemot or Cepphus columba, the Pigeon Guillemot. It is also not Cepphus carbo, the Spectacled Guillemot.

Last edited:
jmorlan

Common British name of Uria aalge (your Common Murre) is "Common Guillemot" or just plain "Guillemot." Which is what it is.

It's not my name. The IOC World list, the Clements World list and the AOU list all call Uria aalge the Common Murre. None of these authorities call it a Guillemot.

To use Guillemot as a name for Common Murre invites international confusion because Guillemot refers to other species while Murre is unambiguous and internationally accepted.

Last edited:
It's not my name. The IOC World list, the Clements World list and the AOU list all call Uria aalge the Common Murre. None of these authorities call it a Guillemot.

To use Guillemot as a name for Common Murre invites international confusion because Guillemot refers to other species while Murre is unambiguous and internationally accepted.

And I will call a Guillemot a Common Murre when, and only when, we are finally required to pay for our teapots in dollars ;)

No one is disputing the American name, which also appears as a name for Uria aalge in other 'international' lists (sometimes alonside Guillemot, with either one given preference). The Clements list is perhaps a bad example if you want to suggest that it is the accepted international name, because Clements is now published by Cornell University (in America), and I believe follows the AOU on taxonomical decisions as well (not all of which are internationally accepted).

The species is known as Guillemot in Britain, and appears under this name in all English language field guides that I am aware of, that have not been published in the Americas. It might sometimes cause some confusion, but so do many other names (Buzzards are a good example).
In scientific publications the scientific name should always be used to prevent confusion; on forums like this one, the common name used in the OP's region is usually better.

Edit: I think that the postings on here clearly show that even though Uria aalge may appear in international lists as Common Murre, the name is clearly not "internationally accepted".

Last edited:
Call it a "Bonxie" if you want, but that doesn't change what it is. The purpose of language is to communicate clearly. I suggest that this forum is not centered in the British Isles but is truly international in scope. Anglo-centric usage does not carry international acceptance any more than calling it Guillemot marmette, Arao Común, or ウミガラス.

Call it a "Bonxie" if you want, but that doesn't change what it is. The purpose of language is to communicate clearly. I suggest that this forum is not centered in the British Isles but is truly international in scope. Anglo-centric usage does not carry international acceptance any more than calling it Guillemot marmette, Arao Común, or ウミガラス.
More importantly, which one out of 'Guillemot' and 'Common Murre' would the person who asked the question find in his field guide if he looks up the suggested name?

The fact that both names are correct 'common' names for the species in question has already been stated - and clearly explained (IMO) to allow anyone who reads this thread to realise that. This is an international forum, but that does not mean that allegedly 'accepted' international names will be understood by all those who read the threads.

Just accept that Guillemot is a correct name for this species (as are Common Murre, and Uria aalge) and leave it at that - it's really not worth arguing about.

Last edited:
However since the person asking took the photo in england i'm guessing he knows them as guillemots so thats it was answered as that.

edit: Roy beat me to it

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back