• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TWITCHING - Can you afford to go, can you afford NOT to go? (1 Viewer)

rollingthunder

England
Having twitched a lot in the 80's and visited the Scillies 8 consecutive Octobers' i had a good run and enjoyed the crack and the, then, reasonably priced ornithologically hedonistic experience.

How is the current situation with the price of fuel impacting on peoples twitching expectations? There are now threads and Facebook pages dedicated to car-sharing etc. Back in the 80's we never went anywhere without a minimum of 3 people and generally 5 which meant somebody drawing the short straw of NO seat belt. Sure, some of the 'Doody' types turned up on their own in a car but we did'nt talk to them anyway? I hitched (apart from the ferry bit) over to Ireland and back for a BeltedK and dipped (and again in Staffs) when there was NO pagers, NO internet, NO iphones.............Just Nancys' Cafe!

Like a lot of birders of my age (55) i now spend my limited funds birding in the Western Pal and enjoy finding my own stuff without a Gosney, mainly in Morocco. I will still travel (if there is an offer) within a couple of hours or a tenner return from here in sunny Stourbridge, West Midlands. For example, over the weekend i had cracking views of the Desert Wheatear in Shroppie, a species i am familiar with in Central/Southern Morocco. Not a lifer and not a tick altho a new British bird. All v enjoyable but i enjoyed the bird better because i had seen them elsewhere and had some experience to base it on. Having said that, it takes me dangerously to 400 for the UK so, obviously, my British list is still important otherwise i would'nt have gone!

For birders whose British list is all important it must be worrying times, i have read elsewhere of somebody who chased 400 in a year and spent close on 30k!.............Not a chance but we are all different.

Has the high fuel prices really impacted on peoples twitching activities, are people organising lifts? This would make things far more socialbe 'just like the good old days'.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth..........

Laurie -:t:

Petrol prices in the first half of the 80's were not much different (after adjusting for inflation) than they are now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/may/22/youthinkfuelpricesarebad

I think this is probably right, for me at least twitching is more affordable than it was in the 1980's, back then i had all the normal living expenses (including rent) but almost no income. now i have a tolerably reliable income but no extra outgoings (eg no kids off to university). There are however, two factors that increase the total spend, having fazed out for 14 years there are lots of birds i need but nobody else does, so i have to go alone, and there are far more things to go for, especially this year. I have to go back to 1985 (12 ticks) to find a year when i had more ticks than this year. Further to the 11 ticks this year i have gone for three potential future ticks, something we rarely did back in the 1980s when we thought that bird taxonomy was more or less stable!! Also, although flying at short notice internally is still horribly expensive, i suspect no more expensive than standard prices in the 1980's, but if arranged in advance then getting to Shetland by air for the autumn season is much cheaper than it was taking inflation and peoples relative income into account.

In summary i suspect how one perceives the cost of twitching now re the 1980's will be down to your current circumstances.

Last edited:
I have to say after just coming back from Northern Spain OH, and I felt that the money we had went a long way. We hardly spent anything at all - all our holiday was all included except for any bar drinks that we purchased.

All our food was provided for ....breakfasts, lunches, coffees, teas, evening meal etc.... and airfare, and hotels of course

So is the all exclusive package the way forward now. IMHO that would cut down the costs if a person was prepared to join a group of other people to add another bird to their list. You would be driven to the best spots and having more than one set of eyes would be so much better to get any results. Yes, and the leaders who can gives tons of interesting advise too.

You would not need to think of hiring a car, or taking your own as you would be driven about to the best spots for birding in a people carrier - now that would save on all fuel costs and sharing bird facts along with like-minded people who talk the same language...and talk birds 24/7

We where very impressed by our holiday away and plan to do another in the near future.

Our other yearly Menorcan holiday is run much the same way.... other than we have to buy our own food and drinks, and pay restaurant bills too....and it is much more expensive because Menorca is an island, and the cost of food is a bit of an eye opener.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Back in 2007 my mate and I went down to Cornwall for the Gyr, W-b Diver etc. Diesel was 85p a litre, which was considered expensive then!, and it cost me about £40 to fill my tank to the brim. Now, diesel costs £1.40 a litre and costs me over £60 to fill the car up. Being made redundant this year hasn't helped either.

Cheers,

Adam

Just filled up in England before heading back to France. Over a hundred euros - really happy about that!!!!!

When I worked in england I had a company car and a fuel allowance of 13p per mile. It cost me roughly 9p so a profit of 4p per mile for 3000-4000 business miles per month - a tidy profit. Wouldn't be the case now - although rates would've gone up I guess.

I've never really been on a lot of long range twitches in England - that I had to pay for anyway. My limit in France is about 1 1/2 hours mainly because of work and children restraints....

Just filled up in England before heading back to France. Over a hundred euros - really happy about that!!!!!

Are you saying fuel in England is cheaper than in France? I'll be popping across the channel soon and I usually fill up before coming back so it would be useful to know, thanks.

As for the subject of the thread, if I can tie in a tick with work travel which I've managed to do on a couple of occasions all well and good. If not, a car load and a supporting cast is almost essential nowadays. I'm also quite choosy to what I twitch, is it isn't it? long distance wader views don't do it for me I'm afraid.

It's not high petrol prices putting me off twitching...that puts me off driving in general, as does the high volume of traffic on the road today.

Last edited:
Are you saying fuel in England is cheaper than in France? I'll be popping across the channel soon and I usually fill up before coming back so it would be useful to know, thanks.
d.

Diesel currently 1.36litre petrol 1.50ish so cheaper than the uk although petrol marginal. Sorry my post wasn't that clear - if I didn't need to fill up I would have waited for France.
If you're heading to Paris there is a wallcreeper at Dourdan....
That's twitchable for you guys. So here is the question on the lines of the thread twitch or not to twitch. I got the 7.20 Chunnel ( day return are about £30) you would be at Dourdan for midday French time. See the bird and back in England by say 6pm. Maybe a 300mile round trip plus maybe 20euros in tolls....

So is the all exclusive package the way forward now. IMHO that would cut down the costs if a person was prepared to join a group of other people to add another bird to their list. You would be driven to the best spots and having more than one set of eyes would be so much better to get any results. Yes, and the leaders who can gives tons of interesting advise too.

You would not need to think of hiring a car, or taking your own as you would be driven about to the best spots for birding in a people carrier - now that would save on all fuel costs and sharing bird facts along with like-minded people who talk the same language...and talk birds 24/7

It's one way of doing for sure Kathy - but cheaper?? Unlikely. 6 of us did Spain (Picos, Pyrenees, and the plains) several years ago and it cost us under £300 each for everything. Now show me a tour company that would do the same 8-day trip for anywhere near that price....

Diesel currently 1.36litre petrol 1.50ish so cheaper than the uk although petrol marginal. Sorry my post wasn't that clear - if I didn't need to fill up I would have waited for France.
If you're heading to Paris there is a wallcreeper at Dourdan....
That's twitchable for you guys. So here is the question on the lines of the thread twitch or not to twitch. I got the 7.20 Chunnel ( day return are about £30) you would be at Dourdan for midday French time. See the bird and back in England by say 6pm. Maybe a 300mile round trip plus maybe 20euros in tolls....

Thanks for the clarification. It's not a birding trip, I'll be on my way to Belgium. B :)

I and a number of other UK birders twitched the Wallcreeper in Wimereux a few winters ago, what a great day out that was!

Loving the user name, but best change the Avatar to a Dunnock in flight? B :)

cheers, alan

Nice one. Not wishing to dig up old ground but I was there on the Saturday and a big cheer went up when the Dunnock flew across in front of the crowd in the gorse. High fives an' all, couldn't believe what I was seeing. You see what you want to see sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back