• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Icterine Warbler? St Marys, Isles of Scilly, UK (31st August 2012) (1 Viewer)

Samuel Perfect

Just got back from a trip to the Scillies and photographed this Warbler. I couldn't separate Melodious from Icterine at the time as I simply forgot the separation features, happens when you're suddenly confronted with the unexpected. I did however get a few digi-scope shots. The only features not displayed in the photos particularly well were the slate-blue-grey coloured legs and a short slightly raised crest. It also had a moderate wing-panel (just about visible from some of the pics).

Thanks in advance for helping to ID,
Samuel

Attachments

• Icky 1.jpg
    Icky 1.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Icky 2.jpg
    Icky 2.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Icky 3.jpg
    Icky 3.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 240
  • Icky 4.jpg
    Icky 4.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Icky 5.jpg
    Icky 5.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 147
That's tough-need a clear shot of the tertials/primaries. If I'd had the view in pic 3, I be leaning heavily towards Melodious-it looks dull and the wings look quite short and it looks long tailed.

I think the reason the primaries look particularly short in pic 3 is the fact they are blurred as it was moving, like the tail in the same picture. It would possibly be easier to interpret wing length from pic 4.

Leg colour is variable (but bluer is pro Icterine) Wing panel strength (weak) is variable, but pro Melodious. Upperpart colour (rather brown) is variable, but pro Melodious. primary projection is diagnostic but hard to judge.

I find the wing length gives the pair a very different appearance in flight. Icterine is almostlike a spotted flycather (dashing), whilst Melodious is more like a juv Dunnock...all fluttery

Maybe someone else would like to be less unequivocal, but I'm 75% sure its Meoldious - see comparisons below(showing typical Icterine left and Melodious right

Attachments

• autumnhippos.jpg
    autumnhippos.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 145
The pale panel usually indicates aprox the end of the tertials. I think I see a long projection on pics 1 and 4.

Thanks again Jane,

I must agree with you now, I cant see any wing panel on pic. 3, only the tertial edges appear paler, maybe this was the reason for me mistaking a pale wing panel. Although the ID might have to stay unresolved I would probably favour Melodious now.

Many thanks for the correction

The pale panel usually indicates aprox the end of the tertials. I think I see a long projection on pics 1 and 4.

That's what I thought, until I realised the primaries in 4 are part obscured by a leaf! IMHO, a mixture of blur and extraneous objects make this un-id'able for certain.

That's what I thought, until I realised the primaries in 4 are part obscured by a leaf! IMHO, a mixture of blur and extraneous objects make this un-id'able for certain.

True! :t: but the outer primaries still look to be longish on pic 4. On pic one there's a strange triangular thing masking the actual end of the pale panel but with what look to be the wing tips a bit lower than the tail...:storm: I'm feeling in the un-id'able camp right now...

Not the most scientific of approaches, but there are far more Melodious records in the South West than Icterine.

Just seen this thread...Image 1. and 4. (when enlarged) to my eye at least show pp as long as overlying tertials...contrasting wing panel and grey legs...Icterina for me.

FWIW Stayed on Scilly many years ago 1st week in September...and bumped into Icterine on Martin's and St.Mary's the former was also seen by WW.

I think it's an Icterine.

Mainly based on the long-winged effect in pic 4 and the recurrent pale-wing zone panel thing...

(Oh! And the stonking primaries in pic 1 that I see. Plus the, evident, blue-grey legs....But that zoned wing-panel, I feel is, very evident. Plus it has the "dangerous jizz" of an Icky, to my eye..)

Last edited:
It's Melodious for me, the long primary projection in pic 3 is just due to drooped wings, doesn't look grey enough above for Icterine, Melodious to me always seem to have softer more phyllosc like head and face expressions as this bird seems to, wing panel looks well within normal range for Melodious - leg colour is the only pro Icterine thing I see here but that can vary in both species

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back