• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What could mimic a Fan-tailed Warbler? Wirral (1 Viewer)

Welsh Peregrine

Its either the one that got away, or I'm seriously forgetting something! I was out with a non-birding friend yesterday near Leasowe Lighthouse, North Wirral, and I'd stopped to look at a very showy pair of Stonechats in a damp field next to reeds. I'd passed my binoculars over to my friend, when three passerines came up from the ground - one clearly a meadow pipit, one (which didn't get much attention) another pipit or a wagtail, the third much smaller, flying jerkily up into the wind as if it was on a string (OK, quit the sarcasm here!) Size - no bigger than a blue tit, broad wings, buff, streaked back, short, rounded tail with white tips on at least the outer two or three feathers. Flew overhead, and disappeared into an inaccessible area out of sight from which it did not reappear. Within range, I'd just tick Zitting Cisticola and move on. Either, what have I mistaken? Or, anyone in the area, just keep your eyes (and ears, although I heard no call at all) open.

Not any authority on this species but I do not think one has ever turned up in Lancashire or possibly in the North West of England at all. They are not a common vagrant to the UK and the last I remember was in Kent a few years ago and that in summer? I would hate to try and guess what it could be and as we all know the birding world is full of surprises.

Not any authority on this species but I do not think one has ever turned up in Lancashire or possibly in the North West of England at all. They are not a common vagrant to the UK and the last I remember was in Kent a few years ago and that in summer? I would hate to try and guess what it could be and as we all know the birding world is full of surprises.

I saw the Pegwell Bay bird in November 2009 and it stayed till the 16th December. That bird had a regular routine but would still go missing for long periods. So a winter record is not unprecedented...

Last edited:
[...] flying jerkily up into the wind as if it was on a string [...], broad wings, buff, streaked back, [...]. Flew overhead, and disappeared into an inaccessible area out of sight from which it did not reappear.
TBH, those parts of the description made me think of Meadow Pipit, as they sound very typical of that species.

Maybe a long shot, but is Lesser Redpoll a possibility. Plumage can be very plain and wing bars sometimes indistinct. Short tail and size fits, and they can appear beside reed beds in winter sometimes

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back