• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors Germany (1 Viewer)

Hi there
I tookt the pictures of these two birds yesterday in Germany near by Frankfurt/Main.
First it looks like a Merlin to me in the field, but the pics makes me wonder if it could be a Sparrowhawk?
The 2. bird may be a Commen Buzzard. But it was soaring with flatt wings and it looks too shortwinged for a CB. Any idea? Or is it just a odd looking one?
Thanks in advance!
Remo

Attachments

• xx6.jpg
    xx6.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 98
  • xx7.jpg
    xx7.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 87
  • xx8.jpg
    xx8.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 83
  • xx9.jpg
    xx9.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 79
  • xx11.jpg
    xx11.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 109
Here are more pics

Attachments

• yy1.jpg
    yy1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 77
  • yy2.jpg
    yy2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 57
  • yy.jpg
    yy.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 62
  • yy3.jpg
    yy3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 83
  • yy4.jpg
    yy4.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 88
The first bird is a pale-phase Common Buzzard. I too have noticed that they always look short-winged in the field, and they usually have a distinct U-shaped whitish area on the upper tail and the upper parts often have a greyish tinge to the usual brown. Perhaps this compact-sized appearance means that they are likely to be males, and the white underparts are a male-descended variation, I don't know. This variety nearly always has a dark 'comma' mark on the carpal joint instead of a full patch. See for instance:

http://www.haryana-online.com/Fauna/Birds/common_buzzard.htm

The second bird is a Sparrowhawk, as you suspected.

Last edited:
Hello Remo.

The Buteo looks like a pale Common Buzzard. Common Buzzard glides on flat wings but as you say - soars on slightly raised (dihedral) wings Booted lacks the dark 'commas' at the primary coverts and dark primaries and above all - a different structure.

In this image:

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=110199&d=1192974156

the small head and square tail tip and that Sparrow Hawks usually looks like a flying 'T' -
Goshawk like a flying cross.

JanJ

The Accipiter looks good for a Sparrow Hawk

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back