• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfair 2016 (1 Viewer)

typo

I didn't intend to start a thread this year. I'd got up at 3am to take my wife to the airport so I wasn't on best form to begin with and the weather was pretty miserable, making some comparisons I like to make impossible. I thought it best to let others take the lead. Apart from a comment or two in the Leica Noctivist thread everyone seems strangely quiet so far so here we go.

The best bit? Leica had a Rancillio espresso machine and a barister who knew how to drive it on their stand. Highly recommended! Seemed to draw a rather excited crowd. ;)

I'm not going to say much about the Noctivid here. I already liked the Ultravid HD plus a lot and I like this a lot more. It did leave me with a lot of technical questions about exactly what they've done. Hopefully other forum members I spoke to will chip in with their observations. If the weather improves I may go back for another look.

I did have a quick look at the Trinovid HD. My main criticism of it's predecessor was that I didn't find it sharp. The light was too poor to make that kind of judgement yesterday but I confess I liked it better overall than the old one, though it didn't seem typically 'Leica'.

I'm not sure what to make of the Nikon Monarch HG. We already knew it was small light and had an enormous field of view and it didn't disappoint on that account. It was also really nice in the hand. Early the day the finish felt a bit soapy, but once a hundred punters or so had played with them, the grip had improved. I confess overall I was slightly disappointed though. I'd just tried the Noctivist and the colour and contrast seemed flat by comparison. Maybe that was unfair given the price difference but I got them to get out an EDG to compare and I have to say I found the differences quite stark. The Noctivist and EDG are stronger at the red end of the spectrum than the ELSV, SLC, SF, HT etc. and it seemed to my eyes, it was mostly this that was missing. I'm sure others will like it and probably feel it seems brighter.

At long last Meopta had their Meostar 12x50 and 15x56 HDs on the stand to add to the 10x42HD. It's all the HDs we will get in Europe due to the Cabelas relationship. The 15x56 HD was too much for me hand held, but the 12x50 HD was actually rather steady in my hand and, given the weather, was looking pretty special. Perhaps anyone contemplating one of the big SLCs might do well to check out the Meopta first?

Vanguard had flown in a couple of samples of the Endeavour EDIV for the show. As expected it has lost it's flat view, but the colour is much improved and it seemed brighter. I couldn't say if the resolution had improved, but the contrast in the fine detail certainly had. The ergonomic differences looked tiny, but I found it more comfortable in the hand. There was a good price on show pre-orders, but it is probably going to be around £400 depending on what happens to the exchange rate in the next couple of months. Hope to have more to say down the line.

I did spend some time with the Kowa Genesis 22. A nice little compact, but nothing like the level of CA control of it's big brothers. It would be interesting to compare it to the Opticron DBA 8x21.

The Zeiss SF apparently has had a minor upgrade. They've tinkered with the focus and made some cosmetic changes apparently but I'm sure Lee will have more to say about that.

I don't usually comment on scopes but the Zeiss Conquest Gavia didn't really do it for me. I'm sure others will fill in the detail.

Celestron were doing good business with their Hummingbird pocket scopes. They had half a dozen perched on monopods and punters were queuing up to try them. I found the 7-22×50 rather appealing. Sure £300 seems a bit steep for a 50mm that probably shouldn't been taken past 18x but matched with a gorillapod it would be perfect for the jacket pocket. Good fun! The x56 was probably OK upto about 20x. Had a little play with their Mini Mak c70mm. That's a lot of fun too for around £100, but not intended to be hauled around the countryside.

David

David ..... Thanks for the first report. Some folks (such as Lee) who are attending multiple days are probably holding off till the end of show before collecting their thoughts and reporting back. I am glad to hear how the first day went. Especially interesting to me was that Nikon HG and EDG comparison. It may be a while before the HG crosses the pond.

So, did you hit the Rancillio espresso machine before looking through the 15X? I doubt I could hold a 6X after a good dose of caffeine! B :)

Here is hoping the weather improves so you can get another go at it. I always look forward to reading your observations.

David ..... Thanks for the first report. Some folks (such as Lee) who are attending multiple days are probably holding off till the end of show before collecting their thoughts and reporting back. I am glad to hear how the first day went. Especially interesting to me was that Nikon HG and EDG comparison. It may be a while before the HG crosses the pond.

So, did you hit the Rancillio espresso machine before looking through the 15X? I doubt I could hold a 6X after a good dose of caffeine! B :)

Here is hoping the weather improves so you can get another go at it. I always look forward to reading your observations.

Bruce,

The Viking/RSPB stand is next door to Leicas and I have to say their £27 Explorer 6x17 develeped an unexpected appeal. :-O Obviously intended for kids but surprisingly usable (without glasses).

They also had some samples of a new brightly coloured 8x25 roof that they said would be priced around £75 which I thought pretty good for the money. I'm sure I've seen them before with another label and tamer colours.

Forecast for today is wet and windy but maybe a bit better tomorrow?

David

Thank you, David, for a fine report, as in previous years. I did look forward to it as usual, and do for more in the next 2(?) days!

Is it possible to find out what the Noctivid's actual resolution is? I have a hunch that it is much better than in any other binocular (one hears of), and can explain at least one of its attributes.

In an earlier post you said: "The FOV was about the only thing that appeared fairly average." To a person used to 8 deg. does it instantly seem less than that?

Is the effective image of the Meopta Meostar 12x50 HD better than that of your "benchmark" anonymous 12x50 porro? It is widely praised for its poise.

Thank you!

So, now, disappointed with the Kowa. One thing less to yearn for though.

PS. And the Noctivid's performance in low light, compared with the best of the other binoculars. No dark niches at the site? Yes I know you would like to test in both twilight-like and night-like conditions. I am not asking you not to!

Last edited:
Adhoc,

There is no way I'd be able to do any resolution test on the Noctivid or do any low light comparisons at the show. If I had better light I might off an opinion how it might compare to the other alphas or perhaps the Bonelli, but no chance in gloomy conditions I'm afraid. I'd be surprised if the difference turned out to be resolution though.

The 10m or so difference at 1000m FOV is noticeable when you are doing the circuit of the top brands but it certainly wouldn't worry me.

I'd happily swap my porro for the Meostar 12x50 HD:t:

David

Last edited:
Hey David,

Thanks so much for the report. I always trust your eyes and appreciate the feedback
on the NVid.

Do you know of any announcements for upcoming new releases by
Kowa or Meopta? I wonder if new Genesis or new Meostar will be on the horizon.

Also , did Opticron have the new Traveller ED on display ?

Hey David,

Thanks so much for the report. I always trust your eyes and appreciate the feedback
on the NVid.

Do you know of any announcements for upcoming new releases by
Kowa or Meopta? I wonder if new Genesis or new Meostar will be on the horizon.

Also , did Opticron have the new Traveller ED on display ?

I didn't ask Kowa this time. I was told there is nothing imminent from Meopta but there is something in the pipeline but I couldn't find out exactly what and when.

I think Opticron were a bit annoyed that the Traveller ED hadn't arrived in time for the show. Sounded like a big order from another Japanese company might have been to blame for the delay. ;)

David

I didn't ask Kowa this time. I was told there is nothing imminent from Meopta but there is something in the pipeline but I couldn't find out exactly what and when.

I think Opticron were a bit annoyed that the Traveller ED hadn't arrived in time for the show. Sounded like a big order from another Japanese company might have been to blame for the delay. ;)

David

Ah got it. Thanks David :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back